The half decent/under-rated movie thread

Started by Puckoon, May 27, 2008, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

So we've had a bunch of polls and a yearly countdown of the favourite movies of all time, but how about those that you might not have been expected to like, but did. Or those that you might not have ever watched willingly, but ended up really liking them.

One that sticks to mind for me is "As good as it gets"

From nicholsons excellent protrayal of an OCD sufferer to the always beautiful but sorrowful helen hunt, this was a movie I really enjoyed and love to see when it comes on again.

Treasurer

Quote from: Puckoon on May 27, 2008, 11:13:09 PM
So we've had a bunch of polls and a yearly countdown of the favourite movies of all time, but how about those that you might not have been expected to like, but did. Or those that you might not have ever watched willingly, but ended up really liking them.

One that sticks to mind for me is "As good as it gets"

From nicholsons excellent protrayal of an OCD sufferer to the always beautiful but sorrowful helen hunt, this was a movie I really enjoyed and love to see when it comes on again.
"you make me want to be a better man"

Puckoon

awww shucks, but could we stick to the thread please.

JimStynes

I always think shawshank redemption was very under-rated, dont think it done much in the cinema or anything.

Puckoon

I think the shawshank ended up doing very well in the cinema, but you are very correct in that there wasnt much noise made about it when it came out. I went to see it the night the KFC opened in omagh.

Main Street

Quote from: JimStynes on May 27, 2008, 11:19:40 PM
I always think shawshank redemption was very under-rated, dont think it done much in the cinema or anything.
I think it is rated, in different places. Here it is nr. 2 all time.
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

"but how about those that you might not have been expected to like, but did. Or those that you might not have ever watched willingly, but ended up really liking them".

"Matewan"  a film about labour disputes  in 1920's West Virginia mining town.
I thought it would be the usual clichéed mine /union /scabs/ murdering militia/a bit of love.
Turn out it was simply brilliant.
It was the best film of 1987 and ranks as one of the best of the 1980´s.

RedandGreenSniper

Swingers, which came out in the mid 90's, is a very sharp and funny look at a bunch of wannabe misfits trying to pull on the LA (I think) social scene. It was recommended to be a couple of years ago but didn't see sight nor sound of it until I spotted it in Virgin in Edinburgh. Delighted I found it
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

DrinkingHarp

Indian in the Cupboard

Princess Bride

Red Dawn

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Cider House Rules

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Norf Tyrone

There was an Irish one there a few years back that the wife got on DVD, and I thought sweet f**k this will be a chore...but I quite enjoyed it.

Inside I'm dancing I think it was called..
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

take_yer_points

The Boondock Saints - don't think it ever even made it to the cinema!

stevo-08

I Am Sam

Maybe it had been highly rated, but I certainly hadnt heard much about it before watching it. Really good film. Sean Penn was simply brilliant in it.

thewobbler

I saw a film called The Quiet Earth the other night for the first time in 15 years. Brilliant show. Nobody has ever heard of it. It's an end of the world type movie and the first half hour is truly spellbinding.

nrico2006

QuoteOne that sticks to mind for me is "As good as it gets"

From nicholsons excellent protrayal of an OCD sufferer to the always beautiful but sorrowful helen hunt, this was a movie I really enjoyed and love to see when it comes on again

Great film but hardly under-rated as it was nominated for lots of awards and Nicholson got an Oscar for it.  The Boondock Saints is a good show too.  Others that are maybe less well-knows hence would be:

K-Pax
For the love of the game
Fallen
He Got Game
Bloodsport (Great film, who cares about the acting!)

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gawa316

Quote from: JimStynes on May 27, 2008, 11:19:40 PM

As far as I remember it did feck all at the cinema, I think Dumb and Dumber was out at the same time and it wiped the floor with it

Square Ball

war of the buttons

a league of their own

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid