Protestants

Started by Feckitt, May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes I Would

Some of them i believe dont like to admit that they are fully aware of whats happening down south.
A subtle polite way of saying that its what happens in Uk that concerns them, and down south is completely irrelevant. Could be seen as a way of convincing themselves of perceived identity.

Rav67

I would say the majority of folk in the North have very little idea what goes on in the South.  I'd be surprised at someone not having heard tell of the Late Late but I'd say easily over half wouldn't know Brian Cowen.  Protestants do tend to take the isolationist view of the 6 counties being separate from the 26, but you'd be taken aback by the lack of knowledge about anything south of the border from plenty of Catholics too.  Its a media thing, most people read British papers and don't watch RTE.  For example I remember when the trial was on relating to that wee boy from Cork who got killed by the fella O'Donoghue, I was saying to a group of ones at work about it and no-one knew anything of it, and one of the boys there was from Kildare.  He never even read the Irish papers either and no-one used to be able to get rte in any of the student houses in Belfast (I think its on one of the sky packages now).  My work was nearly all Catholic too btw.

JimStynes

You can spot a protestant a mile away in the university area of belfast. They are the ones running about with the fancy hair (coloured, spiked etc) and the fancy clothes. They all go to the box, beach club, skye etc. One good thing is the protestant women tend to be better looking.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: JimStynes on May 27, 2008, 10:49:39 PM
You can spot a protestant a mile away in the university area of belfast. They are the ones running about with the fancy hair (coloured, spiked etc) and the fancy clothes. They all go to the box, beach club, skye etc. One good thing is the protestant women tend to be better looking.

I think you are confusing the term 'protestant' and 'homosexual' there... I always found that the best way to suss out 'Iron Rods' was to make a joke about Daniel O' Donnell - the believers in the Reformation are a bit vague on him. The other sure fire way is to ask people if they are they descended from ................horse
...................................... Lowlands of Scotland.................If they say .......................................... So, there you go..............

Orior

Quote from: Feckitt on May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
I am a wee bit unsure about starting this thread, because I am afraid of it being hijacked by bigots and wind up merchants.  I am originally from South Armagh but now work in an office in the North which is mixed about 50/50.  Everyone gets on great, and I would not have a bad word said about anyone here, RC or Protestant.

What I wanted to ask though, is it normal for Northern Protestants to,
1. Never have heard of Dustin the Turkey.
2. Never to have heard of the Late Late show.
3. To call Monaghan, (Monackon)
4. To not be able to pronounce Aisling
5. To never have heard of Brian Cowen

I know that these are all small things, and they don't annoy me.  Don't get me wrong.  I am just surprised!  Maybe I am the niave one, and I should not be surprised at all. 

Ah jeez, this brings me back to my younger days when I spent a few years in the Civil Service up at Stormont. Over coffee break (yeah, they have those in the civil service) they would discuss how awful it was that Labour and the Tories dont put up candidates in the north's elections. I was so close to saying that I'd love to see Fine Gael and Fine Fail put up candidates, but i needed the money to get married and buy a house.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dinny Breen

Ok seems a normal thread, here's a question I like to ask..

Where do Nationalist Protestants come into this and what about Loyalist Catholics, do they even exist? Remember I'm from the South and have one friend originally from the Falls Road but she lives in Perth now so have little exposure to northern attitudes and opinions expect what I read here.
#newbridgeornowhere

Minus15

i remember in 1st year geography at university we were split into groups with a map of ireland in front of us and we had to name the thirty-two counties and put them in the correct place. I got them all but some of the protestant girls were putting galway below dublin and one even mixed up derry and tyrone. It was like spot the catholic that day not that my big gah jersey and o'neills bottoms werent a big giveaway.

Rav67

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 27, 2008, 11:15:14 PM

Where do Nationalist Protestants come into this and what about Loyalist Catholics, do they even exist? Remember I'm from the South and have one friend originally from the Falls Road but she lives in Perth now so have little exposure to northern attitudes and opinions expect what I read here.

There'd definitely be a lot more unionist Catholics, mainly due to the natural tendency to prefer constitutional status quos.  I'd also guess there's more Protestants who are totally politically apathetic, but again that's to be expected given the constitutional situation (ie they have what they want so not a lot to get bothered about!)

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 27, 2008, 11:15:14 PM

Here you go
http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2006/Political_Attitudes/UNINATID.html
It's not science but it's a good indicator.
You may be surprised that there are more catholics, some  3%, who are content with the Union than there are Protestants who would  recognize a national identity (a figure so low it doesn't register).

Rav67

Exactly why there wont be a united Ireland in any of our lifetimes-    if you're a "neither" you're really just a closet unionist.

Shamrock Shore

In Belfast many moons ago random crowd I ended up drinking with were unaware of County Longford - totally unaware.This would have been late 80s/early 90s.

Earlier in the same day I stopped to listen to some lad with a megaphone near Belfast City Hall telling us that unless we turned to Jesus we were all doomed yada yada yada.

This 50ish wan stopped, paused, and said in a conversational voice to nobody in particular:

"I'm a Presbyterian, and I'm goin to Heaven"

and walked off with her messages

I was amazed.

Strange folk are Northerners................

the milkman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 27, 2008, 10:49:39 PM

You love the protestant women Jim!!!!!!!!

parttimeexile

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 28, 2008, 12:41:18 AM
In Belfast many moons ago random crowd I ended up drinking with were unaware of County Longford - totally unaware.This would have been late 80s/early 90s.

Earlier in the same day I stopped to listen to some lad with a megaphone near Belfast City Hall telling us that unless we turned to Jesus we were all doomed yada yada yada.

This 50ish wan stopped, paused, and said in a conversational voice to nobody in particular:

"I'm a Presbyterian, and I'm goin to Heaven"

and walked off with her messages

I was amazed.

Strange folk are Northerners................

I thought Longford was a mythical place..like the land that time forgot :D

Dinny Breen

QuoteHere you go
http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2006/Political_Attitudes/UNINATID.html

Cheers Main Street, I always thought or was led to believe that there was an awful lot of Protestant Nationalists, obviously not and consevrsely shocked at the Unionist Catholic figure. Very interesting.
#newbridgeornowhere

nrico2006

QuoteYou can spot a protestant a mile away in the university area of belfast. They are the ones running about with the fancy hair (coloured, spiked etc) and the fancy clothes. They all go to the box, beach club, skye etc. One good thing is the protestant women tend to be better looking.

Is there not quite a few Ahagallon men who fit that description that are seen around the box/beachclub on weeknights then also seen throwing their best break dancing moves in the Ashtray on a Saturday night?!?

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'