Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 22, 2008, 08:56:08 PM
feel free to launch into a tirade against me and have a go, i deserve it

You don't deserve it all Sligonian. If the county team had shown half as much fight as you've shown in the weeks leading up to this game they might not have got such a beating today. Whatever about the rest of them, no-one can doubt your pride in the jersey. Besides, Mayo have been humiliated themselves often enough and recently enough to known when to leave well enough alone. And there could be another one in the post yet...

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 22, 2008, 09:10:47 PM
Paul Galvin said the same thing and look where that got him, you'll have a long painful week on here Sligonian I'd say.

And like Paul Galvin there's always next year to look forward to for you ;)

Tarraing ar an gcéann eile a Mhichíl na Ríochta, tá cloigíní air.  ::)

Is that going to be your boys' refrain all summer Mike - "hit me now, will ya, with me Paul Galvin in me arms"?  ;D

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 22, 2008, 09:29:38 PM

I know i will but i deserve it. I was stupid to believe in our lads. Although i had to think we had some chance or else why would i bother going to see us get that hammering. One my friends said "all the money gone into this teams preparation for that, all sligo supporters should be refunded". He has a point.

Your some kid. So despite all your bleating for the last few weeks, your team lose 1 game and you are practically disowning them. So will you only go to games where they are sure to win? Bad and all as the team were today they deserve better supporters than you.

blast05

feel free to launch into a tirade against me and have a go, i deserve it

No problem - yee were pathetic, shite, embarrassing and every other relevant adjective; and whats worse you contributed to Mayos heightened sense  of tension in the lead up to the match and thus brought a better performance out of Mayo. What i am not going to do is talk down to you by consoling or saying if they had half your pride etc as some are doing because no matter what way that is painted, it is condescending and that is the worst insult of all, i.e.: when people are feeling sorry for you.

joemamas

Sligonian,

it's time to put your bullshit talk about Parsons behind you. The kid has lived in and played for Charlestown all his life. Do you want him to change his address to one street away, to appease you.

How many young players in Sligo have made a meaningful breakthrough to the senior ranks in the last six years, since Sligo almost beat Armagh. Why didn't the county board of the time capitalise on that success. ??

Time to look inward at how you can improve instead of rehashing the same old shite about Tom Parsons. Put together a three to five year plan instead of pissing and moaning.

mannix

Moysider, my post was saying that Mayo will need to be taking the scores when they are available at a higher consistency to have any chance.Division 4 is a long fall for Mayo at the minute and not one coming soon I hope.
Sligonian, cop on, you surely realised that the league was a gauge of where you stood. It was clear Sligo were washed up, for now at least. Stand by your team like a real fan and stop whining, everyone experiences bad days, we in Mayo do and so do the mighty kerry once in a while.
Getting out of the basement next spring is vital and using new players to do it is also vital.

Owenmoresider

Might just point out that Sligo had three clear goal opportunities, unfortunately two of them fell to McNamara (who lasted 27 minutes too long) and McGowan (who should be got rid of long ago). Doesn't hide the fact of just how bad we were, nor is it encouraging for Mayo. Ye have a bit of work to do yet.

An Fhairche Abu

Impossible to know what level Mayo will be against us in the Connacht final as Sligo were no test for the green and red today, they were absolutely abject. I expected Mayo to win comfortably but not even as easy as it turned out.
Didn't think the standard of play was that great on either side but the Mayo men played whatever good ball was played today. Mayo midfield definitely have the beating of Galway as I don't think we have a midfield to give ye a decent game there.
Not to put the boot in while they are down but I hope that the Sligo posters who were giving out about ourselves in Galway and the Mayo posters complaining that the standard of Connacht football was at a low point during the past year will see that far from trying to take the gloss off Sligos deserved Connacht win last year, it was merely just a statement of fact about the current plight of all the Connacht counties in the general scheme of things, Sligo and the Roscommon are nowhere, Galway and Mayo very average, Leitrim will feel aggrieved that they are not in the qualifiers as I'd rate them 3rd best in the province at the moment but again no great shakes nationally.
Mayo probably have the best chance of doing something this year but I can't see an All Ireland appearance in them.

Bod Mor

We are none the wiser after today whether the personnel are capable of producing the goods against Galway in the Connacht final. We would have been better off if Sligo had turned up to play but that cannot be helped I suppose. It's good to see that Parsons looked the real deal at midfield (according to reports from people I spoke to who were at the match).
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Definitely none the wise after today but we would have taken it last week.

The weather ruined any chance of decent football and there was little or none in the game.

Conor Mort again showed that he is crucial to us. Harte and Parsons were excellent.

The positive thing with the backs is that we did not concede a goal. However bad Sligo were we still held them out and that has not always happened recently.

No motivation needed the next day - remind any Mayo player of Salthill last year and they should be chomping at the bit.

We need more bite up front and I would like to see Kilcoyne and Dillon in for maybe Moran and Gardiner. Howley in the back line would be a plus as well.

Mano

Quote from: joemamas on June 22, 2008, 10:05:13 PM
it's time to put your bullshit talk about Parsons behind you. The kid has lived in and played for Charlestown all his life. Do you want him to change his address to one street away, to appease you.

The fact is as 'the Sunday Game' pointed out last night he lives in Sligo and a Charlestown lad confirmed to me he is from the Curry parish. Thats the facts. So its disappointing that the most impressive player on the pitch was wearing the wrong colours.

Regarding the game itself we were a total shambles and the gameplan of trying to isolate 2 small lads under 5 foot 5 and try to handpass the ball all the way up the field was ridiculous and predictable. Fair play to Kelly for been the only Sligo player to win his individual battle but the forward line as a whole were brutal.

Sligonian how could you be so confident about this lot. All the pointers were there that this would could happen losing 8 of our 11 games before yesterday, small forwards who can't score, a ridiculous running gameplan which is easily defended and a manager who is out of his depth.

blast05

Blame the manager (who was good enough to bring his club an All-Ireland title, playing a much higher standard of football than what was even played in last years Connacht final) , blame Tom Parsons for playing with Charlestown, blame blame blame  ...... how about blaming your players who didn't show a set  of balls between them and just leave it at that.

OirthearMhaigheo

Good win yesterday, way way easier than expected but it looks like Sligo just didn't have any hunger left in them after winning their first Connacht in 32 years. Once we were going to match Sligo with hunger I felt we'd win, but the fact that we were hungrier explains the annihilation. It's still hard to know where we're at because we weren't all that good ourselves yesterday and that full back line was cut open a few times, a better team would have scored at least one goal but some last ditch defending and poor finishing spared us. Unfortunately Conroy wasn't seen in full back at all so we have no idea how he will perform there, he did well out the field though.The positives had to be midfield, McGarrity looks like he is slowly getting back to his level and Parsons made a great debut, some excellent fielding by both of them. I thought Harte was pretty good as was Conor, we're going to need alot more from the rest of the forwards though if we're to give Galway a game of it. We're still a major work in progress and alot of much tougher tests lie ahead, starting with Galway where we will go in as underdogs, but that might suit us and sure we'll honour the fixture anyway and give it a lash!

Bomber2312

its not as if parsons played underage with sligo and all of sudden transferred to Mayo.....he's been playing for mayo from underage up. who's to say that if parsons had been playing for curry he would have turned into the prospect he is, in my opinion your doing a great disservice to the people involved at Charlestown GAA club who have been major contributors into Parsons as a footballer and person.

Davitt Man

Thats game was chronic, one of the worst games i have been at in a long time, actually the last time i said this was after the sligo v cork game last august in croker that was painful too.

Anyway heres my stab at the team ratings

Clarke 7/10, 2 gud saves, varied the kickouts well
Boyle 5/10, kelly gave him a run around, a concern for the future
Conroy 6/10, was dragged out the pitch so didnt play full back, did ok, will be a worry on the edge of the sq against meehan in 3 weeks
Higgins 6/10, nothing spectacular its a pitty we cant use him at HB and watch his forrays upfield.
Cunniffe 6/10, again like most of the backs they seemed to go about there work quietly nothing spectacular from him, sligo forwards very very poor though
Heaney 6/10, he did alrite although he didnt have to mark a man, he just sat at 6 all day, distribution is still terrible, another battle with Joyce ahead
Nallen 6/10, he did a job but it was a very easy afternoon for the mayo defense and still we were opened for 3 goals against a useless sligo team, worrying
McGarrity 6/10, he did ok without setting the game alight, needs to move the ball quicker at times
Parson 8/10, man of the match, a great prospect, a complete midfielder, he is great on the ball and the way he slipped killer in for the goal showed this
Gardner 3/10, this experiment must be over now, didnt play well at all, he is better coming from deep
Harte 8/10, got on alot of ball and sprayed it around BUT sligo had no center back at all
T Mort 6/10, didnt think he was as good as some people, you always get the same effort with T,but lacks the guile & poise to be a top forward
C Mort 8/10, we would be fecked without him, our only dangerous forward who can beat a man
Austy 7/10, at last he plays well in a c\ship match apart frm the kerry game in 05, will give him confidence for the future
Moran 5/10, very quiet all day, didnt get his hands on much ball at all, would love to see him at 10.

Mano

Quote from: blast05 on June 23, 2008, 09:44:26 AM
Blame the manager (who was good enough to bring his club an All-Ireland title, playing a much higher standard of football than what was even played in last years Connacht final) , blame Tom Parsons for playing with Charlestown, blame blame blame  ...... how about blaming your players who didn't show a set  of balls between them and just leave it at that.

The manager cannot be absolved of blame. We have played 12 games this year winning 3 against giants such as London, Galway IT & Limerick.  Last year we were organised, passionate and had a gameplan-we had none of those yesterday. County football is a higher standard (despite what blast says) than club football and he is just not up to that standard.

Just stated a fact with regard to Parsons. He is a quality player and good luck to the lad. He has more chance of winning something with the green and red.

Of course Sligo players were abject and i stated only one lad winning his individual battle. We gave in too easily and allowed Mayo run through the middle without a hand been laid on them at times. Fortunatley Mayo didn't take advantage and missed some easy chances in second half.