Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Ffs i heard it all now , its also mc s fault if other players played badly as well
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

outthecountry

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 21, 2008, 10:22:19 AM
Ffs i heard it all now , its also mc s fault if other players played badly as well

Never said it was his fault - merely suggesting that whenever McD had a bad game - inevitably the rest of them hung their heads because of their style of play and over reliance on him to pull the strings. For gods sake everything had to go through him. He was always running behind the man with the ball waiting to rceive it and provide that killer pass - it didn't always come off.
At least now they have to start producing it themselves when he's not there.

furboot

Quote from: RastaGael on June 20, 2008, 07:36:37 PM
Folks

Been following the thread as a guest but had to register to post a comment.

Purely self-interest:  does anyone know whether the game is available online anywhere.  Based abroad and the old reliable of Setanta have Laois / Wex and Munster hurling as their 2 scheduled games.

Anyone know of any other possibility?

you can always use the new online 'wireless' as per http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php who will at lesat have full radio commentary

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 20, 2008, 01:00:45 PM
TG, agree with alot of what you say in the last 2 posts. We need a performance of monstrous propostions all over the pitch and in particular from the guys in the middle third. And if Maguire doesnt start (meaning mcnamara is a definite starter), we are effectively a man down from the word go. Add to that, the inexperience of gaughan & mchugh. It makes for a huge task ahead on sunday. BUT, I'll still be travelling to mchale park quietly confident and I think the added incentive of the dreaded Tommy Murphy can lift our lads to the heights required. Also as seanie points out, mcpartland & sweeney off the bench are useful options for the last 20.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 20, 2008, 12:41:36 PM
I heard the same as steve08 about mcguire not starting, but what can I say i see him look as sharp as ever last week and in one of the sligo papers he reinforces that by saying hes fully fit. All i can say i'll be annoyed if he doesnt start.

Mayo have twice as many clubs as us, they have ballaghdereen in ros now they have bellaghy in Sligo. What will see next the castleconnor lads defecting to ballina.

Our county board will want to have a serious look at this if they have sligos best intersts at heart...

Ya seanie was some preview on tv3 last night alright. Did any of think mortimer comments were strange regarding last yr? "We didnt buy into the new ideas last yr because we were so used to other methods, but this yr we have" not a great enditement of JOMs training method and tactics.

Sligonian, I presume the above was said with tongue in cheek! Cos if you ask any castleconnnor man, Ballina have been taking their players for years...

Who are those players? Just wondering as I don't really know anyone who is living in Sligo playing for Ballina.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: furboot on June 21, 2008, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: RastaGael on June 20, 2008, 07:36:37 PM
Folks

Been following the thread as a guest but had to register to post a comment.

Purely self-interest:  does anyone know whether the game is available online anywhere.  Based abroad and the old reliable of Setanta have Laois / Wex and Munster hurling as their 2 scheduled games.

Anyone know of any other possibility?

you can always use the new online 'wireless' as per http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php who will at lesat have full radio commentary

The game is being shown live online by RTE according to their website.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 21, 2008, 08:45:59 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on June 20, 2008, 01:00:45 PM
TG, agree with alot of what you say in the last 2 posts. We need a performance of monstrous propostions all over the pitch and in particular from the guys in the middle third. And if Maguire doesnt start (meaning mcnamara is a definite starter), we are effectively a man down from the word go. Add to that, the inexperience of gaughan & mchugh. It makes for a huge task ahead on sunday. BUT, I'll still be travelling to mchale park quietly confident and I think the added incentive of the dreaded Tommy Murphy can lift our lads to the heights required. Also as seanie points out, mcpartland & sweeney off the bench are useful options for the last 20.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 20, 2008, 12:41:36 PM
I heard the same as steve08 about mcguire not starting, but what can I say i see him look as sharp as ever last week and in one of the sligo papers he reinforces that by saying hes fully fit. All i can say i'll be annoyed if he doesnt start.

Mayo have twice as many clubs as us, they have ballaghdereen in ros now they have bellaghy in Sligo. What will see next the castleconnor lads defecting to ballina.

Our county board will want to have a serious look at this if they have sligos best intersts at heart...

Ya seanie was some preview on tv3 last night alright. Did any of think mortimer comments were strange regarding last yr? "We didnt buy into the new ideas last yr because we were so used to other methods, but this yr we have" not a great enditement of JOMs training method and tactics.

Sligonian, I presume the above was said with tongue in cheek! Cos if you ask any castleconnnor man, Ballina have been taking their players for years...

Who are those players? Just wondering as I don't really know anyone who is living in Sligo playing for Ballina.

Thera are nt any unless you go back to Martin McGrath who transferred to Ballina circa 1984. Lived there most of the time since as well.

moysider

Just read Martín Beag s column and he reckoned Mayo are going into this without 3 of their best forwards from last year. Hanley, McDonald and Dillon. What he did nt say was that Mac hardly featured at all last year while Dillon was plagued with injury and well below his best. Yet its a sobering observation, as if we we were nt sober enough already. Trevor and Gardiner while they bring a lot to a game will hardly score much. I see Maughan in the Advertiser was talking about Peadar maybe contributing with a couple of fisted scores. In other words little chance he ll kick one. Dillon seems to be very injury prone in recent years. For a youngish lad he has played a lot and he gets hit a lot because while good on the ball he is nt the fastest and small as well. I believe he is going to be a major concern going forward.

Owenmoresider

Just calling in before tomorrow, hard to know how it will go, there is a fair bit of optimism around the place, though not shouting about it like others :P. Would hope that the team lines out differently from what has been selected, and that McNamara doesn't line out at CHB, but time will tell. Midfield will be critical, Quinn will have it tough with McGarrity, but now's the time for him to recapture the form of last year, let's hope he's timing it right. BTW Sligo at 6/1 is crazy odds, and a + 6-7 point handicap even more so, makes the 3/1 on a Lisbon No vote look sensible. Have hammered into these and I'm sure others have done the same. A kick of the ball probably in it, I'll give it to Mayo now, but us winning would not surprise me at all.

IolarCoisCuain

I wouldn't be surprised if Sligo won it either Owenmoresider. From my own Mayo perspective, I find it remarkable how low profile the buildup to the Championship has been at home. I'm not at home anymore and I ache in the places where I used to play but my God, I have to go back to around 1995 to think of as low profile a build-up among my circle.

The McDonald situation doesn't help, and what Moysider writes about what Martin McHugh wrote is no less sobering. Mayo should still be the favourite, but my goodness me, Sligo +6 looks a bet. It'll be a low-scoring game one way or the other, I would guess. And the weather doesn't bloody help either. :(

groundlie

IolarCoisCuain

There's an interview with John O'Mahony in this morning's Tribune: http://www.tribune.ie/sport/gaelic-football/article/2008/jun/22/relishing-a-brave-new-world/

Two bits of news. The first is that he turned down the chance to manage Mayo in 2006, which I don't think was public before. The second is that he says that last year's campaign was about giving the 2006 team their shot, and them having got that, this year has been about introducing new blood:

"You could call it a failure and I respect people who see it as that. Others said it was a hangover from the 2006 final. I can understand that too. Or perhaps it was a discovery period because I felt the players from 2006 deserved a shot and they got that. They had been in an All Ireland final so they didn't become a bad team overnight. But we all felt having won an under-21 All Ireland in 2006 and having done poorly in 2007 at senior, it was time to bring in some young guys and change things."

Johnno was always cagey. He's middling under pressure this morning though. Begod, I'm not right meself.

blast05

Fcek sake, the weather - and all my rain gear is down at home in Mayo.
Wet cold concrete benches, €100 for the day and a good soaking thrown in or live on the web ...... Hmm, will have to decide in the next hour.

bridgegael

Quote from: blast05 on June 22, 2008, 08:21:46 AM
Fcek sake, the weather - and all my rain gear is down at home in Mayo.
Wet cold concrete benches, €100 for the day and a good soaking thrown in or live on the web ...... Hmm, will have to decide in the next hour.

ya may as well go to the match, not the same watching it in the web.  if something spectacular happens, you can always say...'i was there'.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

the Deel Rover

What s o mahony on about most of the lads that are playing today played against derry last year more spin from the master spiner any way heading to the match and we ye see what happens . Sligo at even s  plus 6 looks a good bet
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 22, 2008, 11:34:41 AM
What s o mahony on about most of the lads that are playing today played against derry last year more spin from the master spiner any way heading to the match and we ye see what happens . Sligo at even s  plus 6 looks a good bet

C*** of a day out. You d think that by 22 of June we d get a championship day and now this. Was at a match last evening and even then the rain was making things shitty enough with the surface greasy and ball like a bar of soap. And its made at least an inch of rain since...... This could get very messy. This could be like a league game Sligonian   ;D