Road Bowls (Bullets)

Started by Candyman, May 20, 2008, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Just wondering are there many posters on here who would participate or even support it??? Brilliant sport IMHO and for any budding gambler ye'll get your fill any sunday in Armagh.....  ;D

maddog

Quote from: Candyman on May 20, 2008, 12:07:46 PM
Just wondering are there many posters on here who would participate or even support it??? Brilliant sport IMHO and for any budding gambler ye'll get your fill any sunday in Armagh.....  ;D

Always try and get a game in when im home, won the tournament at Christmas even though the lads decided that we would have to have another tournament as they didnt want a blow in getting the cup. So next time im home i'll have to take it easy on them otherwise i'd be drinking alone all Christmas.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Candyman on May 20, 2008, 12:07:46 PM

Used to be into it big time (I'd have been out most of Sunday) but the birth of a couple of nippers have meant that the time to myself on a Sunday has been greatly reduced.

Went down to Cork for the All Irelands and King of the Roads twice a year for nigh on 10 years with a car full of lads, needless to say a good time was had by all, but Bantry is a feckin backward hole.
We'd still laugh about what happened to us on our weekend excursions.

From all reports the gambling is nothing like it was a couple of years ago, but it would still be more than enough for most.

dodo

Any of you bucks have any information on dates and locations for upcoming competitions ? Wouild love to have a look sometime.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: dodo on May 28, 2008, 02:26:57 PM
Any of you bucks have any information on dates and locations for upcoming competitions ? Wouild love to have a look sometime.

Dodo the All Irelands would be the place to see them.  They are splin in two halves.

They are held in County Cork on the weekend close to 12th July.  The location changes every 3 years, and I'm not as closely involved as I once was, so unsure of the location for this year's All Irelands.

The Armagh half takes place during the Southern August Bank Holiday weekend, ie right at the beginning of August, and take place in Armagh City.

Alternatively if you just want to see normal scores a visit to any bullets road in Armagh or Cork any Sunday will let you see what it's about.  Plus you will get much closer to the action on one of these normal run of the mill Sundays than the All Irelands where there could be as many as 10,000 spectators (at least at the Cork scores).

dodo

Thanks Smoking Joe. Where would I find a bullets road in Armagh as is closer to me than Cork. Guessing you're from that neck of the woods.

maddog

try the old moy road on a Sunday morning for players of the same calibre as your username.

dodo

Old Moy Road outside Armagh City ?

Come on now, I'm hardly a local with my county colours !

What part of Mayo is it ?
The Old Bog road  :P

Candyman

EDIT: That link obviously didnt work but enter this into the google maps search engine...

Drumcairn Rd
Armagh BT61
UK

dodo

Thanks Candyman. Will head up for a look this summer.
Might take some photos and post up here.

Smokin Joe

I would head to the Cathedral Road in Armagh (go past the Catholic Cathedral towards the countryside for about a mile) as there are Championship scores every Sunday from now to the end of June in the run up to the All Irelands, so there should be decent enough quality on show.

They start at about 11.30 on Sunday morning and break for lunch / pints at 1.00 - 1.30 and start again close to 3pm for another few hours.

dodo

Plenty of information on that site for the Langers.
Some good photos too.

Bowled Out

Hollow Man

I see Juliet Murphy was 2007 Ladies player of the year, I'm fairly sure she's the Cork ladies football captain...

Wonder why the game is only played in Cork and Armagh? Is there much rivalry between them? Which is stronger?

This lad looks like he's doing kung fu

dodo

On that Bol Chumann na hEireann website to my surprise....

QuoteJohn Greevy Cup Westport Road Co. Mayo Draw : Joe Sheridan/Vin Foy v Sean Sheridan/Vin Dolan; David Hughes/Daniel Lally v Willie Carroll/Ger Sheridan; Peter Gibbons/Michael O'Malley v Shane Hegarty/Joe O'Malley; Ger Kennedy/Mat Sheridan v bye

All good Mayo names too.

Also a club in Drogheda for the last 16 years or so.

QuoteSept 4th 2006

The Boyne Road in Drogheda will be the host venue on this weekend for the All-Ireland finals in the junior C and novice 1 and 2 grades. Champions from the four provinces plus their counterparts from London and North America will vie for national honours with Saturday's six semi-final fixtures deciding the contestants for Sunday's finals. For the Co Louth club it their sixth promotion of these All-Ireland competitions since their inception in 1992 and the fourth occasion on the Boyne Road. Events get under way at 9.30 on Saturday morning with the first of the novice 1 semi-finals playing out. Involved here will be Patrick Hodnett (Munster) v Brian Keirnan (Ulster) v David Hughes (Connaught). Following out at 9.45am will be the second novice 1 semi-final. With London not represented in this grade the North American standard bearer Mike Fleming will take on the home player and Leinster champion, David Lucey. Playing in at 12.00 will be the first of the junior C semi-finals: Adrian O'Reilly (Ulster) v Martin Briscoe (Leinster) v Florrie O'Mahony (North America). Starting at 2pm, out, will be the first of the novice 2 semi-finals Eamonn Tuite (Leinster) v Mark Harrington (Munster) v Jerome Casey (London); in at 4pm the second junior C semi-final: Paddy O'Callaghan (Munster) v Ger Kennedy (Connaught) v Brendan O'Brien (London). The last of Saturday's fixtures will be the second novice 2 semi-final out at 5pm Fergal McCreesh (Ulster) v Colm Murphy (North America) v Joe Sheridan (Connaught). On Sunday morning at 10.30 the novice 1 final will be played out. Back in the junior C final is timed for 12.00. The novice 2 final has a 2.30 throw off playing out. All in all a diverse mix of players and playing styles from Bol Chumann's home and far flung regions should make for an enjoyable weekend bowling in the Boyneside town. Munsters champions will surely have the advantage in score practise with Paddy O'Callaghan, Patrick Hodnett and Mark Harrington well tried and tested from arduous regional and county campaigns. They will carry plenty of support in the final leg of a championship series that began for some back in January.