Antrim V Cavan,Ulster Senior Football Championship 2008 "Official Thread"

Started by BallyhaiseMan, May 12, 2008, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Antrim v Cavan? A preliminary skirmish the equivalent of two bald men fighting over a hairbursh. ::)

My guess is that both sides will be so shite as to be unable to beat the other, hence a draw is a good bet here. The TV cameras will be there to capture it all, there will be no hiding our failings.

Oh for shame!

JimStynes

Why would he not hardstation? Maybe has exams on but im sure he would still play.

saffronman

heard Cunningham got 2 yellows in the club game so will be eligable to play, what will antrims starting line up be?
also heard in passing that Quinn and Doherty are both very doubtful, any one in the know?

Prediction: Antrim by 3, up the saffrons!

imtommygunn

I heard Doherty (Paul) was definitely out. However not too sure about Quinn.

Line -up should be similar in most positions to usual. Questions would be who will play FF, will Scullion be WHB or corner back, will Crozier be centre or wing, will McCann play CHF or midfield, can McGourty and Cunningham both play.

Maguire01

A bit pricey for two teams that are unlikely to go much futher than this game.  Would be tempted to pop along as a neutral (well, i'd give Antrim a shout if i'm honest!), but the prices are a bit steep - especially with so many games on the TV.  I know that's not the attitude to take, and i would go regardless if it was my own county, but it may come down to the weather as to whether i leave the house or not.

It's a shame the Ulster Council aren't a bit more realistic about what they're charging for such games - especially since they may well lose the takings on the way home anyway!

stevecw

Quote from: Mickey Linden on May 12, 2008, 03:34:20 PM
27 euro into the stand and 25 euro into uncovered bit! Given the interest in this game and the fact that it is on tv could mean a low attendence at casement on sunday!

This game is not live on tv.
Sundays games on RTE are Wicklow v Kildare at 2 & Galway v Roscommon after.
The Cavan v Antrim and Carlow v Meath games are live on rte.ie but not on tv.

Minder

Quote from: stevecw on May 12, 2008, 08:01:29 PM
27 euro into the stand and 25 euro into uncovered bit! Given the interest in this game and the fact that it is on tv could mean a low attendence at casement on sunday!

Wrong, it is live on BBC Northern Ireland.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

What's most annoying is that Antrim have the potential for a great team, but there are way too many soccer feckers about.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on May 12, 2008, 09:34:04 PM
Quote from: stevecw on May 12, 2008, 08:01:29 PM

Wrong, it is live on BBC Northern Ireland.......

Indeed it is - as are all the Ulster Championship games.  Bloody BBC - makes me sick!  :P

Minder

Quote from: Orior on May 12, 2008, 09:53:26 PM
What's most annoying is that Antrim have the potential for a great team, but there are way too many soccer feckers about.

how so?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

Cause they devote themselves to soccer instead of gaelic. Therefore Antrim have a much smaller pool of players to choose from.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LaurelEye

Quote from: hardstation on May 12, 2008, 03:25:18 PM

Longford-Westmeath yesterday was €20 for the stand and €15 for the terrace and, poor though yesterday's match was, I can't really imagine this one serving up better-quality football.

Though perhaps this is a cunning plan to put the Cavan fans from travelling ;)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

cavanmaniac

I won't be travelling LaurelEye but it's not the cost that's keeping me away!

LaurelEye

Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 13, 2008, 12:58:12 AM
I won't be travelling LaurelEye but it's not the cost that's keeping me away!

I feel your pain... :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

A Quinn Martin Production

BBC website reporting that Joe Quinn will not play due to ligament damage...expect Benny Hasson to take his place, Paul Doherty definitely out.  Micheal McCann and CJ both fit to play.  As hardstation said earlier big Joe has been a stalwart for the Saffs for over a decade and has plugged away without much success (save for a golden 20 mins against Derry in 2000!!).  I haven't seen too much of Hasson though he does look like a decent footballer.  If we can get decent ball into CJ and Cunningham then they can get some scores.  But I'd worry about our full back line that has been a problem over the past few seasons.  If we get good weather and with home advantage we could hold on for a draw!!

Antrim 1-9
Cavan 0-12

BTW Darren Rabbitte out for Cavan.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties