Antrim V Cavan,Ulster Senior Football Championship 2008 "Official Thread"

Started by BallyhaiseMan, May 12, 2008, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

well lads the Ulster Championship starts off with the two sleeping giants of Ulster Football(would be more apt to say we are both in a coma, but still)

Would be optimistic enough about this game,Seemingly Antrim have went off the rails abit since their loss against Antrim,turnouts of 14 in training etc,Antrim really are their own worst enemy at times.

Homer said Darren Rabbitte picked up yet another injury,which is a blow as we all had him pencillied into full back.

Any other team news or opinions?

imtommygunn

What's the history between these two?

Antrim won against Cavan in 2003, drew in Breffni in??(2006 or so I think?) and Cavan won the replay - isn't that right?

Could be a tight enough game. Not sure either team is going great guns.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 12, 2008, 03:05:49 PM
What's the history between these two?

Antrim won against Cavan in 2003, drew in Breffni in??(2006 or so I think?) and Cavan won the replay - isn't that right?

Could be a tight enough game. Not sure either team is going great guns.

weve played Antrim a good bit, with the exception of 1995, they have always been relatively close.

beat them in 95 in Breffini and 96 in Casement, lost in 2003 inCasement and Drew in Breffini in McElkennons first championship match in charge and (we were dead lucky to come out of it with a draw) in 2006 and we won the replay in Casement.

imtommygunn

Yep now I recall I thought we had you in 2005. Missed the replay so can't recall the outcome.

Hard to know what to make of this game. It's one I think Antrim can win. I hope they've their homework done on Johnston though as he looks like he's a potential match winner.

Hopefully McGourty will be starting for Antrim as he could peg a few points.

Antrim are not going well but their saving grace in this one is that neither are Cavan. Cavan have some able footballers though - suppose it depends which Cavan turns up.

Antrim by 2...

billy the kid

Fancy Antrim to shade it but only just.

Think if Cunningham and Mcgourty get the right supply and support Cavan could be in bother.

Dont know that either side will trouble Armagh as both are very poor but then again Armagh are no great shakes either.  If Cavan could get past Anrrim they are probably better equipped to deal with Armagh and it has to be remembered in 2003 a pretty crap Monaghan team beat an Armagh team that was alot better than the present offering and they would be entering the QF cold.  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 12, 2008, 03:17:20 PM
Yep now I recall I thought we had you in 2005. Missed the replay so can't recall the outcome.

Hard to know what to make of this game. It's one I think Antrim can win. I hope they've their homework done on Johnston though as he looks like he's a potential match winner.

Hopefully McGourty will be starting for Antrim as he could peg a few points.

Antrim are not going well but their saving grace in this one is that neither are Cavan. Cavan have some able footballers though - suppose it depends which Cavan turns up.

Antrim by 2...

Yeh the game after the cork one when Johnston ran riot, Westmeath completely shut him down, Result was Cavan scoring a meagre 6 points they held Johnston to 2 from frees., who would Antrim put on him,Justin Crozier, or Sean Kelly??? or someone else. Wouldnt be that worried about our backline, Michael Hannon for me is one of the best man marking backs in Ulster would say he will probably take McGourty, with Maybe Podge(Pauric Reily) or Keith Fannin on Cunningham.

Mickey Linden

27 euro into the stand and 25 euro into uncovered bit! Given the interest in this game and the fact that it is on tv could mean a low attendence at casement on sunday!

Homer

It's looking like Cavan could possibly start 4 or 5 lads who were only introduced to the panel in the last couple of weeks. Deja vu anybody?  :-\

I wouldn't be surprised if Cavan start young Rory Dunne at full-back in the likely absence of Darren Rabbitte

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 12, 2008, 03:00:23 PM
Seemingly Antrim have went off the rails abit since their loss against Antrim

Jaysus! as bad as we have it in Cavan at least we don't have any schizophrenia to worry about.  :P

BallyhaiseMan

arent you a funny f**ker? >:(  :D

Rory Dunne is a good player,but he doesnt have the burst of speed for Full back in my opinion,Rabbitte despite being a big man was very mobile when he was fit.

would rather see Podge at Full with Michael Hannon and Keith Fannin in the corners, and Dermot Sheridan, Forde and John McCutcheon in Half back line.

CavanCola

Quote from: hardstation on May 12, 2008, 03:25:18 PM

Thats nice... make the OAP's stand in the terrace. Most OAP's need a seat to watch two championship match's on a hot day.
The saint John's ambulance men might be the busiest men in casement next sunday - stretchering OAP's out of the terrace!

billy the kid

Quote from: CavanCola on May 12, 2008, 03:46:06 PM

Thats nice... make the OAP's stand in the terrace. Most OAP's need a seat to watch two championship match's on a hot day.
The saint John's ambulance men might be the busiest men in casement next sunday - stretchering OAP's out of the terrace!

Not to mention people fainting with boredom! ;) ;) :D
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

CavanCola

Quote from: billy the kid on May 12, 2008, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: CavanCola on May 12, 2008, 03:46:06 PM

Not to mention people fainting with boredom! ;) ;) :D

I hope there is room on the stretcher for management career's. It might be needed at 4:50pm.

mylestheslasher

Is the game on TV?

I would have went for Antrim only I hear they are as big a joke as we are. If Antrim play a sweeper they will win as our manager hasn't figured out in two years how to deal with that. I expect it will be a poor game between two teams with low morale. Draw might be a good bet.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes