Who do you think will win the Sam "08" - excluding Kerry

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 12, 2008, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get to the AIF and have a chance of winning Sam "08" - excluding Kerry?

Armagh
Dublin
Monaghan
Mayo
Donegal
Cork
Tyrone
Galway
Derry
Meath
Down
Roscommon
Fermanagh
Louth
Kildare
Westmeath
Sligo
Laois
Wexford
Waterford

Mike Sheehy

QuoteDon't forget the mother and father of all rolling overs! I'll give you a hint, you lost by 15 points.

and , as you say, Kerry rolled over so your win was devalued..correct ?...that seems to be your logic anyway.

..and , of course, ye got spanked by Galway so it was a hollow win in the end eh ?

Anyway, your from Meath, sure teams were lining up to bottle it against ye when ye won those AI in the '80's and '90's.....Dublin, Cork, Mayo !!.....talented teams but, jaysus, they nearly tripped over themselves handing ye Leinster and AI titles.

GrandMasterFlash

Donegal's hopes depend on how Kevin Cassidy's weddin goes..  ::)

magpie seanie

A fair few people picking Galway. Its amazing how highly people rate league form. I just cannot see how they'd be All-Ireland material.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on May 12, 2008, 11:39:20 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2008, 03:47:37 PM
Only meself voting for Donegal so far - we're always better for being the underdog anyway.  :P

I think Dinny has a term of endearment for Liverpool fans that might just fit you Gaoth Dobhair! :D

??? Enlighten me please.
Tbc....

Jinxy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 13, 2008, 06:51:27 AM
QuoteDon't forget the mother and father of all rolling overs! I'll give you a hint, you lost by 15 points.

and , as you say, Kerry rolled over so your win was devalued..correct ?...that seems to be your logic anyway.

..and , of course, ye got spanked by Galway so it was a hollow win in the end eh ?

Anyway, your from Meath, sure teams were lining up to bottle it against ye when ye won those AI in the '80's and '90's.....Dublin, Cork, Mayo !!.....talented teams but, jaysus, they nearly tripped over themselves handing ye Leinster and AI titles.

Well it was and it wasn't. It still drives ye Kerry folk mad and you know it! ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

looks like paul griffin isn't comin home any time soon from OZ so i think that knocks a bit of value off us unfortunately considering our issues in the full back line. word from his club is they have no idea when he's coming back.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 13, 2008, 09:59:11 AM
Only meself voting for Donegal so far - we're always better for being the underdog anyway.  :P

I think Dinny has a term of endearment for Liverpool fans that might just fit you Gaoth Dobhair! :D

??? Enlighten me please.

I think "delusionists" is the term he uses! ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on May 13, 2008, 01:49:57 PM

??? Enlighten me please.

Ah right.

Still I'll not write my team off until their beaten! It's called supporting.  ::)
Tbc....

Jinxy

The majority of All-Irelands won in the 1990's were not flagged in advance. Who would have picked Down in '91, Donegal in '92, Meath in '96, Galway in '98 etc. There's always hope lads. So a Donegal man has every right to say they have a shot at Sam (however we'll say nothing about the lads tipping Sligo and Roscommon, God love them. 8)).

western exile

I think that Wexford have a realistic chance at Leinster this year.  And giving the league results just gone, they should be on the list ahead of Down.

Jinxy

I know I'm not looking forward to playing Wexford (assuming we get over the scallion munchers). They have the indian sign over us these last few years.

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on May 13, 2008, 01:59:57 PM
The majority of All-Irelands won in the 1990's were not flagged in advance. Who would have picked Down in '91, Donegal in '92, Meath in '96, Galway in '98 etc. There's always hope lads. So a Donegal man has every right to say they have a shot at Sam (however we'll say nothing about the lads tipping Sligo and Roscommon, God love them. 8)).

The '92 Donegal team had been around a while, had appeared in five consecutive Ulster finals and had the guts of two AI winning U-21 teams in the side, as well as top-class youngsters like Tony Boyle and veterans like Charlie Mulgrew.

I just don't see anywhere near the same potential in the side at the moment. How many Donegal players would walk into any other side? Karl Lacey and Kevin Cassidy for sure, perhaps Barry Dunnion and on a good day, Colm McFadden.

We'll live in hope though.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 13, 2008, 01:52:00 PM

??? Enlighten me please.

Ah right.

Still I'll not write my team off until their beaten! It's called supporting.  ::)

I support them too, albeit from afar at the moment. That is not the same as being unrealistically optimistic about their chances of winning an All Ireland though!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on May 13, 2008, 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 13, 2008, 01:52:00 PM

??? Enlighten me please.

Ah right.

I support them too, albeit from afar at the moment. That is not the same as being unrealistically optimistic about their chances of winning an All Ireland though!

Aye, but were was I being unrealistically optimistic, I said we are better placed as underdogs - less expectation = less pressure.

Although someone mentioned Cass's wedding, I hoping that doesn't come into play!!  :o ;) ;D
Tbc....