Cill Dara v Cill Mhantáin

Started by Dinny Breen, May 12, 2008, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteEh what a load of bollix.

Tut! Tut! Choking is essence all about anxiety, the further you go in a competition the greater the anxiety, if for example you are Laois and your target is to win Leinster, once you reach the final your anxiety increases as you are that much closer to your goal. It is this anxiety that causes teams to choke. One of the reasons Dublin have been so dominate in Leinster the last 3 years is because their target is an All-Ireland and not a Leinster so they are relaxed and playing within comfortable anxiety levels however the further they get in the All-Ireland series the greater the anxiety and their tendency to choke.

Kildare and Mayo would also be good examples (Kildare I think have won only 13 out of nearly 40 Leinster finals), Arsenal to a lesser extent but NZ rugby is probably the best example of all. This why I believe teams like Fermanagh and Sligo etc do so well in the qualifiers, they have no expectation therefore they have no anxiety and they can relax and enjoy the game. Now this is purely pop psychology and not based on scientific fact.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2008, 08:55:22 PM
QuoteEh what a load of bollix.

Tut! Tut! Choking is essence all about anxiety, the further you go in a competition the greater the anxiety, if for example you are Laois and your target is to win Leinster, once you reach the final your anxiety increases as you are that much closer to your goal. It is this anxiety that causes teams to choke. One of the reasons Dublin have been so dominate in Leinster the last 3 years is because their target is an All-Ireland and not a Leinster so they are relaxed and playing within comfortable anxiety levels however the further they get in the All-Ireland series the greater the anxiety and their tendency to choke.

Kildare and Mayo would also be good examples (Kildare I think have won only 13 out of nearly 40 Leinster finals), Arsenal to a lesser extent but NZ rugby is probably the best example of all. This why I believe teams like Fermanagh and Sligo etc do so well in the qualifiers, they have no expectation therefore they have no anxiety and they can relax and enjoy the game. Now this is purely pop psychology and not based on scientific fact.

So really behind that long rigmarole you do agree with me that you can choke in any game regardless of whether its a final or not thus proving your original statement of you can only choke in a final false
Thanks for clearing that up,Enjoy your game at the weekend I'll leave ye to discuss that game now.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

cill_dara

The Kildare team for sunday apparently

Thomas Corley
Morgan O'Flaherty
Kevin O'Neill
Emmet Bolton
Anthony Rainbow
Aindriú Mac Lochlainn
Gary White
Killian Brennan
Dermot Earley
John Doyle
Daryl Flynn
Ronan Sweeney
Michael Conway
Pádraig O'Neill
Alan Smith

Strong Team anyway, Im abit wary of Emmet Bolton Corner back though not the best of backs in my opinion.

Anyway Really looking forward to this game which in no way will be easy, especially when micko is over the opposing team. It makes me suspect he's got something up his sleeve.

Cill Dara Abú

An Lark

Team with clubs for those interested...

1.     Thomas Corley (Moorefield)
2.     Morgan O'Flaherty (Carbury)   
3.     Kevin O'Neill (Moorefield) 
4.     Emmet Bolton (Eadestown)
5.     Anthony Rainbow (Suncroft)   
6.     Aindriú Mac Lochlainn (Ellistown)
7.     Gary White (Sarsfields)
8.     Killian Brennan (Suncroft)
9.     Demot Earley(Sarsfields)   
10.   John Doyle (Allenwood)   
11.   Daryl Flynn (Moorefield)   
12.   Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield)
13.   Michael Conway (Nurney)   
14.   Pádraig O'Neill (St. Laurences)
15.   Alan Smith (Sarsfields)

Looks like a strong team on paper. You'd be worried how fit Pádraig O'Neill, Killian Brennan & Kevin O'Neill would be coming back from injury. I don't like Bolton in the corner either. Would rather see Eamon Callaghan in the there (maybe he's injured). Hope Johnny Doyle is fit to start but hopefully Conway and Smith can offer a scoring threat.

AZOffaly

Fair play to Anthony Rainbow. I played against him a couple of times back around 92/93/94 and he is still going strong. He was a bit older than me then as well I think. Some committment when you think about it.

Dinny Breen

On paper that is closest to our strongest team but agree about the questions over the two O'Neills, Doyles and Brennans fitness and also I'd see Bolton as a half-back. On paper we should win but games aren't won on paper so will be very nervous on Sunday..

Fair play to Anthony Rainbow. I played against him a couple of times back around 92/93/94 and he is still going strong. He was a bit older than me then as well I think. Some committment when you think about it.

Jaysus AZ I always thought you were older than 36  :o I'll ask Anthony what does he remember about ya....
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

He'll remember very little about me. Maybe he'll remember the heels of my boots, that's all he saw :D (That's why he's still playing 15 years later and I'm writing on internet forums :D)

I'm 35 this August.

Dinny Breen

QuoteMaybe he'll remember the heels of my boots,

as you were been subbed off  :D
#newbridgeornowhere

turk

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 16, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
QuoteMaybe he'll remember the heels of my boots,

as you were been subbed off  :D

Hence why he's where he is, and I'm where I am :D

(I wasn't subbed though  :D)

billy the kid

Does John Doyle still hit the frees and do most of the scoring for Kildare and is he playing on sunday?

How do yous think yous will do and what do yous think about McGeeney so far?
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhere is Willie Heffernan?

Willie is still about, lots of injuries, poor work-rate and poor distribution means he's never delivered on his talent. Playing junior football with Nurney probably doesn't help.

QuoteHow do yous think yous will do and what do yous think about McGeeney so far?

I think we'll win but I can see it been very tight and only in the last 15 will Kildare pull away, big test for McGeeney on Sunday so we'll see, too early yet and it won't be till next year that we'll get a true picture of what he's trying to achieve.
#newbridgeornowhere

wickla

All square at halftime, Wicklow winning a lot of possesion from kick outs.

wickla

Wicklow miss a gilt edge chance of a goal.  :-[ Cant afforrd to waste these chances.

wickla

Smashing spell for Wicklow at them moment Hannon playing a blinder four points without reply so far ths half.