Cloghue Roundabout Closure

Started by amallon, May 09, 2008, 01:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I heard on 5FM that they are closing the Cloghue roundabout for 20 minute spells to facilitate blasting.  This will start on Monday and continue for 3 months.  They would hardly close it during rush hour would they?  Is that house the looks down on the roundabout going to be demolished? 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

corn02

Between 11 and 3 Aidan. Bit of a bollix for myself but at least it is not durring work hours.

Donagh

Quote from: amallon on May 09, 2008, 01:54:39 PM
Is that house the looks down on the roundabout going to be demolished? 

Was wondering about that the other day. The way the two roads are lining up they'll be going over the top of it soon.

Mickey Linden

Is the traffic still as bad approaching that roundabout? I have been taking off and going up past the Carrickdale which i found to be much quicker!

corn02

It is still bad but nowehere near as bad, coming from Dundalk direction I assume Micky? down the Forkhill road will save ou a few minutes.

amallon

The traffic can be bad enough some evenings coming in from Dundalk.  I've been turning off at the Carrickdale and taking a right turn just before the Bridge crossing the dual carriageway then driving down the old approach to Cloghue and heading down the little narrow road with grass growing on it.  Eventually coming out at Cloghue  chapel.  What really annoys me about waiting in the queue at the end of the dual carriageway is the white van men driving up the hard shoulder and onto the slip road and way to the front of the queue.  Cheeky feckers!

Where do 5FM get their traffic updates from?  They always report the approach to Cloghue as busy morning and night, even on the days when there is no build up at all. 

Thank god they aren't doing this work at rush hour it would have been a nightmare.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

illdecide

Forgive the outoftowners but where is the  Cloghue roundabout? Is that the 1 at the old check point near the golf club?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

Quote from: illdecide on May 09, 2008, 03:55:13 PM
Forgive the outoftowners but where is the  Cloghue roundabout? Is that the 1 at the old check point near the golf club?

That's her illdecide

corn02

Funnily enough just got a text saying avoid the Newry bypass because a bus has broke down at queues at the roundabout are huge.

ONeill

What's the story with the roadworks near Ballygawley roundabout?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shortso79

Read in the Paper - the Blasts at Cloghue Roundabout are between 11am and 3pm

But most likely time is between 1.30pm and 2.30pm

Delays of at least 20 mins are expected - all approach roads to the roundabout will be closed - until the debris from the road is cleared

Times of when Enterprise train passes are to be taken in account

ONeill

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 10, 2008, 09:21:47 AM
Its part of two major road schemes.

On the Aughnacloy side, a new roundabout is being built to bring the Enniskillen, Aughnacloy/Dublin and Dungannon roads together before allowing traffic to move to the existing Ballygawley roundabout via a short dual carriageway.  The existing roundabout will connect to Omagh, Ballygawley and down the "old Dungannon road" which will be downgraded in 2010.

From the new roundabout there will be a dual carriageway on a straight line towards Aughnacloy cutting out that series of dangerous bends on the road and it will re-emerge just beyond the quarry/waste dump on to the straight part of the existing road to Aughnacloy.  It will allow any future dualling of the road to Monaghan.

Also from the new roundabout is one end of the new road to the motorway.  It cuts across the countryside before emerging somewhere down by Galbally.  By 2010 there will be a dual carriageway from the new roundabout to the motorway to allow everyone to get past the tractors which will continue to use it.

The work on both roads is halted while the Archaeologists examine the area with the top soil removed.  They have found quite a few sites along the road which show evidence of settlement, you can see these as fenced off areas with orange plastic netting.

In all it is the beginning of some essential infra-structure for West Tyrone but the dualling of the Derry-Monaghan road is essential to make a major difference.

Is the situation still the same in terms of the road works being halted?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Trevor Hill

Is that house the looks down on the roundabout going to be demolished?

Drove over the new bridge one evening last week. You could actually see what was on the TV in that house. His front door must be 20 feet from the A1.
Its great that we have no more tailbacks at Cloghogue, does anyone know when the road is due to be completed?

Orior

I heard on 5FM that they are closing the Cloghue roundabout for 20 minute spells to facilitate blasting.  This will start on Monday and continue for 3 months.  They would hardly close it during rush hour would they?  Is that house the looks down on the roundabout going to be demolished?

That sounds expensive. Surely it would be better to put an oul empty landrover at the roundabout and let the dissadents blow it and the hill to pieces for free (dom of ireland).
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians