Time for a GAA quiz

Started by Hardy, May 09, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

I preferred your quizzes AFS!!
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bensars

Quote from: Ryano on June 19, 2008, 02:13:49 PM
Apologies lads that should be 7 captains. I stupidly omitted Deccie O'Sullivan......

Seán Flanagan of Mayo, Enda Colleran of Galway, Tony Hanahoe of Dublin and Jimmy Murray of Roscommon are correct.... 2 to go!

Brian Dooher

One to go

Fear ionad

Quote from: Ryano on June 19, 2008, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2008, 02:29:42 PM
Joe Barrett, Kerry and JJ Reilly, Cavan.

Spot on bosco.

Easy enough one to finish (gotta do some work)....

Name the players who won AI medals as well as an FA cup medal and AI medal as well as an FAI cup medal.

John Kirwan (Dublin 1894, Spurs 1901) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kirwan), plus Kevin Moran, for the first.

Fear ionad

Quote from: Hardy on May 09, 2008, 02:21:45 PM
Already fully answered:
1.   Which county has lost the most AIFs?
- Kerry (18)

2.   Name all counties with a 100% record in AIFs.
- Down, Donegal, Limerick.

3.   Name all counties with a 0% record in AIFs (not counting those who've never appeared).
-  Laois, Monaghan, Antrim, London, Waterford, Clare
(Moysider correct)

5.   Which county has waited the longest since its last All-Ireland win?
- Limerick (since 1896)

6.   What's the highest winning score in an AIF?
- Dublin 1977 (5-12) and Kerry 2006 (4-15)

7.   What's the highest losing score in an AIF?
- 2-13 Galway 1973

8.   What's the highest number of goals scored in an AIF?
(I meant total goals)
- 8 in 1977 and another year not answered

Remaining unanswered:
4.   How many AIF's have been drawn?

Has anyone else any questions? The place is infested with questions about soccer and songs and gayness and more soccer, which is just a form of gayness anyway.

For number 3 above, only two of those answers are true if you count hurling AIFs as well.  (Which two?)

Another question: what is the only county with a 100% record in hurling AIFs?

PadraicHenryPearse

Who was the first player to recieve a Yellow card?

Doire abú

Quote from: Fear ionad on November 11, 2008, 05:17:05 AM
Quote from: Ryano on June 19, 2008, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2008, 02:29:42 PM
Joe Barrett, Kerry and JJ Reilly, Cavan.

Spot on bosco.

Easy enough one to finish (gotta do some work)....

Name the players who won AI medals as well as an FA cup medal and AI medal as well as an FAI cup medal.

John Kirwan (Dublin 1894, Spurs 1901) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kirwan), plus Kevin Moran, for the first.

On a pedantic note, would medals have been handed out to winners as early as 1894?

Louth Exile

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 11, 2008, 06:36:15 AM

Was the match Carlow v Westmeath?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

stephenite

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 11, 2008, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 11, 2008, 06:36:15 AM

Was the match Carlow v Westmeath?

Oh yeah - didn't the referee go stone mad and dish about 17 yellow cards? No idea who the first one was

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AFS on November 09, 2008, 05:14:45 PM
Aren't those Mayo handballers from Ballaghaderreen?  :o  ;)

No it wasn't the handballers lads even though your half right Afs the last two mayomen to win Ai senior medals were Dan O' Neill from castlebar and seamie o'donnell from Ballaghadreen  ;) who both played for Louth in the 1957 Ai final
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Louth Exile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 11, 2008, 11:11:00 AM

No it wasn't the handballers lads even though your half right Afs the last two mayomen to win Ai senior medals were Dan O' Neill from castlebar and seamie o'donnell from Ballaghadreen  ;) who both played for Louth in the 1957 Ai final

Feck disappointed in not getting that one  :( One of them was a Garda based in the county

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 11, 2008, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 11, 2008, 11:11:00 AM

Feck disappointed in not getting that one  :( One of them was a Garda based in the county

Yea the two of them were guards Louth Exile , Dan o' Neill has written a book it was released about 2 weeks ago you might be interested in it.

'57 hero pens autobiography

Wednesday October 29 2008

Dan O'Neill, who played midfield on the 1957 Louth team that won the third of the county's three All-Ireland senior football titles, has completed his autobiography.

The launch of Divided Loyalties will take place in the Boyne Valley Hotel, Drogheda, on Friday, November 7, at 8pm.

The event is certain to attract a large turn-out of prominent figures from the world of Louth GAA, including many veterans of the famous victory over Cork. It will be tinged with sadness as team captain Dermot O'Brien died last year shortly before the 50th anniversary of the triumph.

To this day, it remains a popular quiz question for GAA fans around the country – who were the last two Mayo men to win All-Ireland senior medals?

Dan played for his home club Castlebar Mitchels and Mayo before transferring to Louth following an expenses dispute, and was joined in the ' Wee County' by Ballaghaderreen man Seamie O'Donnell.

The two had played together in 1954 on the Mayo team that won the National Football League title, and bumped into each other again at a border crossing when both were Gardai stationed in Co. Louth.

In a twist of fate, they ended up playing at midfield together in the second-half of the 1957 All-Ireland final when Louth defeated Cork – and now, over 50 years later, Dan has chronicled his football career and his life and times in Mayo, Louth, Sligo, and Galway.

Divided Loyalties looks back at the run to the Sam Maguire in 1957, and also deals with the celebrations that followed the famous win.

Dan also writes about his time living and working in Co. Louth, and there is no mistaking his deep affection for his adopted county.

'I spent almost eight years in Louth, and enjoyed a popular support from the fans there.

'This created in a me a very strong magnetic attraction towards Louth, and I still attend as many Louth matches as I can,' he said.

'Louth was very good to me. I made great friends in the county and I enjoy my regular visits there.

'I always remained strongly attracted to my home county, and, indeed, I was delighted when circumstances allowed me to come back and wear the green and red of Mayo again in 1963.

'At half-time in the All-Ireland final in 1957, Seamie came out from the half-forward line to play alongside me at midfield. So you had two Mayo men playing together at midfield for Louth in an All-Ireland final.

'Neither Louth or Mayo have won an All-Ireland title since, which is a source of great disappointment to me.'

Divided Loyalties by Dan O'Neill is written in association with Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo, freelance journalist Liam Horan, and will be launched by Dan's friend, legendary RTE broadcaster Jimmy Magee. Master of Ceremonies for the night will be 1957 colleague, Frank Lynch.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Louth Exile

Very Good. As we all know, GAA autobiographies can often be terrible affairs, but the fact that Liam Horan ghost wrote would give me hope that this should be an enjoyable read.  :)

spectator

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 11, 2008, 12:21:47 PM
Dan played for his home club Castlebar Mitchels and Mayo before transferring to Louth following an expenses dispute, and was joined in the ' Wee County' by Ballaghaderreen man Seamie O'Donnell.

In a twist of fate, they ended up playing at midfield together in the second-half of the 1957 All-Ireland final when Louth defeated Cork

Canon Devine wrote about this & the '57 season in one of his Ros Herald columns, which the Louth lads might enjoy;

http://archives.tcm.ie/roscommonherald/2007/05/30/story6163.asp

PadraicHenryPearse

I believe the first yellow card was in an U-21 dublin match and the Player was Nicky McGrath of Dublin and Kilmacud Crokes. Open to Correction however..

Louth Exile

Just clearing out some stuff and came across my answer sheet from a quiz last week. They are not the toughest, but can you get them all (without cheating)

1. What year did Dundalk Schools win the Leinster Colleges football? (this decade)
2. What county play their home games at St Conleth's park?
3. Who scored 1-16 in the fitzgibbon cup final and was on the losing team?
4. Who scored the winning goal in the 1957 AI SFC Final?
5. Who was the last captain before Declan O'Sullivan to lift Sam on two successive years?
6. Name the ground in Omagh?
7. What county lost out to Dublin in last year's O'Byrne cup final?
8. Which was the last county to win a provincial title for the first time?
9. Name Nicky Rackard's county?
10. Who are the reigning AI club football champions?
11. Name the two Ulster county who have won five AI SFC titles each?
12. Name the only twins to have both won all star awards?
13. Who are the current Louth main sponsors?

They aren't hard I know, but get them all, no cheating!!