Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ríochtciarraí

Just who can lay claim to having the greatest provincial rivalry? Would ye reckon Galway/Mayo, Dublin/Meath, Tyrone/Armagh? Personally my favourite is kerry/Cork on a sunny day in killarney but im just biased. Apparantley its the oldest though as they both have been the best down south for a while. Any other rivalries we may not ahve heard about? Hurling suggestions welcome

AZOffaly

We have a scatter of them because of all the bordering counties (7 of them). They are all hotly debated and contested, but it really stems from what part of the county you are in.

Lads along the north of the county, in geographical terms, wouldn't be too fond of Westmeath, at least in football, whereas Edenderry and it's environs would be hostile towards Meath and Kildare. The Gracefield/Portarlington lads would be very anti-Laois, whereas the lads down around south Offaly and Birr would have have serious rivalry with Tipperary. Over towards Banagher it would be Galway, and Roscommon get a few hairly looks up around Shannonbridge.

If I were to pick the most heated of those rivalries, at the moment, it would probably be Offaly Westmeath, or Offaly Laois.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan  V Monaghan is the traditionally big one in Ulster, ignore what the non free staters are blabbering about sure, Foot ball was only invented in Derry in 1993 and Tyrone in 2003  :P

It hasnt even been invented in Antrim yet isnt that right hardy?

;)

Cavan Down was also fairly big.  :)

Barney

I think its Mayo Galway.

The Mayo Blog summarises recent results well - http://mayogaablog.com/?p=533

Historically between league, and championship meetings there is a match every other year and the results are very evenly split.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2008, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 07, 2008, 05:10:49 PM
It hasnt even been invented in Antrim yet isnt that right hardy?
Don't have us set big Darren O'Hare on yis again, yis tight fisted fcukers.

where did he disappear to? ;) Bear of a man,

have ye even won a championship game since?  :o

i have a bad feeling about Sunday week!!!!

Croí na hÉireann

Grew up not far from de Awfully border but it'd be a friendly rivalry we'd have with them, wheras down around Moate they can't stand the Biffos. Wouldn't be much love around Athlone for the Rossies and everyone generally just feels sorry for the Slashers, more to be pitied that hated  :P But as for that shower in Eastmeath  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Derry and Tyrone would have to shade it alright.

his holiness nb

In fairness it would always depend on where you are from.

For me, without a doubt, its Dublin v Meath.
Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

I have to agree with O neill, and Ill tell the rest of yes something, Tyrone Armagh was soft compared to tyrone Derry, always hard and unfair.  

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2008, 05:22:47 PM
Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
#

What was the year Tyrone were down to 13 ??

GalwayBayBoy

Throughout history Galway v Mayo has probably been the most enduring as they have met so often and it's always been nip and tuck. Definitely one for the romantics anyway. Celebrated in song which can't be said of most rivalries.

Kerry v Cork have probably met just as often but given that Kerry more often than not have held the whip hand in that rivalry I wouldn't put it up there at the top.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2008, 05:08:49 PM
We have a scatter of them because of all the bordering counties (7 of them). They are all hotly debated and contested, but it really stems from what part of the county you are in.

Lads along the north of the county, in geographical terms, wouldn't be too fond of Westmeath, at least in football, whereas Edenderry and it's environs would be hostile towards Meath and Kildare. The Gracefield/Portarlington lads would be very anti-Laois, whereas the lads down around south Offaly and Birr would have have serious rivalry with Tipperary. Over towards Banagher it would be Galway, and Roscommon get a few hairly looks up around Shannonbridge.

If I were to pick the most heated of those rivalries, at the moment, it would probably be Offaly Westmeath, or Offaly Laois.

I doubt all Portarlington lads are Anti-Laois considering most of the town is in County Laois
Most Laois people would rather beat Offaly than any other county and thankfully that has been a fairly regular occurrence over the past decade and its been very satisfying for many around Laois  :)

As for our other border counties i have no real grudge withany of them even Kildare believe it or not though the flourbags don't like us for some reason,Tipp or Carlow wouldn't bother me either,Kilkenny would but as there is no chance that Laois could match Kilkenny there is no point in having a grudge with them..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

QuoteMost Laois people would rather beat Offaly than any other county and thankfully that has been a fairly regular occurrence over the past decade and its been very satisfying for many around Laois  Smiley

Aye. For the past decade. But swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts. Beidh an lá eile againn.

As for Portarlington, that's what I meant by the Gracefield/Portarlington, as in the Gracefield, or Offaly, end of Portarlington.

Maguire01

For Ulster:

Derry/Tyrone
Monaghan/Cavan
Tyrone/Armagh
Armagh/Down

in that order.