The demise of the sunday provincial championship.

Started by donelli, May 06, 2008, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donelli

I am not at all happy with these scheduled saturday provincial games.
I think it has been a great tradition each summer playing your local provincial games on a sunday afternoon. it was bad enough moving the throw-in times from 3.30 to 2pm. Now in their great wisdom, the GAA are decided to move some games to a Saturday to facilitate TV.
Sunday afternoon championship is a great family day out. The Sunday experience starts early in the morning and ends late evening.
i think the gaa are completely wrong in destroying this. Going by the saturday games in the play-offs, the atmosphere takes a complete nose-dive. People work on a saturday these days. Also fans will have to contend with heavier traffic by fighting for road space with with more shoppers on a saturday.

My thinking also is that the tv coverage is heading to over-saturation level. More people will be inclined to become the arm-chair supporter. Attendances will fall dramatically for the non-final steages. I have already witnessed this last year in regard the ulster semi-finals. As attendances fall, the spectacle on the tv doesnt look as appealing.

Am i alone in these thoughts are others on here of similar thinking. If so, i may just start complaing to HQ of my sentiments.

full back

Quote from: donelli on May 06, 2008, 12:41:26 PM
Attendances will fall dramatically for the non-final steages.

Not really
If Armagh meet Tyrone the place will be packed to the rafters

Real1995

I agree donelli, its just not the same goin to a championship match on a Sunday, it jus does feel rite....but wit the heavy schedule of fixtures and the introduction of the qualifiers, it looks like it is now a reality to stay......
Nice guys always finish second!

AZOffaly

I don't mind the Saturday evening games actually, in theory. The qualifiers on a Saturday evening are good craic, and you don't have to get up for work the next morning. I wouldn't drink at many matches any more, but arriving back home at 8 or 9 o'clock on a Sunday evening makes Monday morning very unappetising.

ziggysego

Qualifers on a Saturday is one thing, but Provincial games belong on a Sunday. Part of the Championship magic will disappear with this move. Nothing better than a trip to Clones on a hot Sunday, eating a egg-salad sandwich out of the boot of the car before the game, along with a hot flash of tea. Can't do that at night, not the same.
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

I take it any Saturday game will be an evening throw-in and not a 3pm or so start?

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on May 06, 2008, 01:54:49 PM
Qualifers on a Saturday is one thing, but Provincial games belong on a Sunday. Part of the Championship magic will disappear with this move. Nothing better than a trip to Clones on a hot Sunday, eating a egg-salad sandwich out of the boot of the car before the game, along with a hot flash of tea. Can't do that at night, not the same.

Another thing! Me and a few mates decided to be traditional for the NL final and had a few hang sandwiches and a bit of tea before the match out of the car. You'd have thought we had 3 heads the way a lot of people were looking at it. DOn't even start me as to the looks the neighbours gave us when we asked for a drop of milk... what is the world coming to?

Louth Exile

If you are going to bring the kids to the match, there is no doubt about it that Sunday afternoons are a far better job. If the game is on a Saturday I would rarely bring the family, personally I think that it is far more tailored towards going to the match with the lads and a few pints afterwards. A load of bank holiday Sunday games is what you want, that way both win  :D

The real problem that I can see is that it is impacting on club championship matches.  Neutrals who would attend club games are deciding to stay at home and watch the intercounty match on the box instead. This could end up becoming a serious problem.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Maguire01

Quote from: donelli on May 06, 2008, 12:41:26 PM
Going by the saturday games in the play-offs, the atmosphere takes a complete nose-dive. People work on a saturday these days. Also fans will have to contend with heavier traffic by fighting for road space with with more shoppers on a saturday.

I'd probably prefer Sunday, but thinking of Monaghan v Donegal in Omagh last summer, the place was packed, the atmosphere as good as a Sunday and it was a lovely hot evening. No real problems with traffic that you wouldn't get at a Sunday match either.