New Car

Started by fred the red, May 04, 2008, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Im looking to buy a motor car, preferably not more than 3 years old for around the £6,000 mark.

Does anyone who knows a thing or two about cars reccomend any around this price?

I currently do about 10,000 miles a yr, not a great lot so i dont think i require a diesel.

I was looking at vauxhall vectras and ford mondeos myself, though im not fussed on size or style.

thanks.

corn02

dodo

Fiat 100-90 Turbo
Safe as fook

Lar Naparka

The Vectras are great cars- until something goes wrong. Any sort of major repairs have to be carried out by main dealers and this means serious bread. For that reason I wouldn't look at cars more than a couple of years old. I've has one and it was a lovely car bit I took my mechanic's advice and sold it on as he was afraid the timing belt was about to go. The air conditioning was getting a  bit iffy as well and that would mean a trip to a main dealer to get the on-board computer seen to. Also, you need to check the likely re-sale price when you are going to sell on a second-hand car. Vectras don't hold their value well.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 05, 2008, 02:05:38 AM
The Vectras are great cars- until something goes wrong. Any sort of major repairs have to be carried out by main dealers and this means serious bread. For that reason I wouldn't look at cars more than a couple of years old. I've has one and it was a lovely car bit I took my mechanic's advice and sold it on as he was afraid the timing belt was about to go. The air conditioning was getting a  bit iffy as well and that would mean a trip to a main dealer to get the on-board computer seen to. Also, you need to check the likely re-sale price when you are going to sell on a second-hand car. Vectras don't hold their value well.

Vectra are heaps of shite and give loads of problems. Check out parkers.co.uk for independant reviews on cars before you buy. You didn't tell us if this is a family car or just for yourself. But for £6000 you might get a 05 Honda Civic (old model) which are a good reliable car. You could probably get a 05 corolla hatchback for £6500 to £7000 too. There are also loads of 05 Ford Focus in that price range, a car you either love or hate.

fred the red

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 05, 2008, 02:42:25 PM

Vectra are heaps of shite and give loads of problems. Check out parkers.co.uk for independant reviews on cars before you buy. You didn't tell us if this is a family car or just for yourself. But for £6000 you might get a 05 Honda Civic (old model) which are a good reliable car. You could probably get a 05 corolla hatchback for £6500 to £7000 too. There are also loads of 05 Ford Focus in that price range, a car you either love or hate.

Sorry lads, its just gonna be a motor for myself (no kids yet!!), I havnt heard many bad reports for the vecrtra as yet but thanks for pointing this out.

Im not a big fan of the older shape focus, im not sure if the new shape was out around 05, if so i think its an attractive enough motor.

I quite like the meganes, but them seem to depreciate in value very quick ,and iv heard a few dodgy reports about them once they reach 3-4 year olds.

mylestheslasher

I'd have a look at the Corolla 1.4 Diesel hatchback. A nippy car, looks quite well to my eyes and is very economical. You should get one between 6500 and 7000 if you have a look around. If you only intend doing 10k a year I would buy something with high miles but with a service history. You might save another few £ that way.

maddog

Lads im replacing the aul banger with another one, looking at a renault laguna. I've a choice of 2

first one is decent spec 85k miles 2.2 diesel 2003 - about £3500
second one is dogs ballix spec 1.9 diesel 108k 2005 - about £4000
both ex fleet cars full service history with cam belts changed recently

Anyone any experience of these motors?

An Fear Rua

Here here on the SEAT.
Ive just sold mine to the brother. I had it from new (2001) did 50k over the 7 years, and all I have had to do is replace tyres and exhaust. A great great car, fuel efficency is great, solid , comfortable, fast enough too. I couldnt recommend them highly enough.
Its Grim up North

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

2003 PEUGEOT 607 2.2 HDi SE 4dr Diesel Saloon
Price:
£4,100

Features:106,000 miles MANUAL SILVER Diesel 4 Door Saloon 2179 CC
Full Description:Glossary of Terms
106,000 miles, 4 door saloon, grey, diesel, manual, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Alloy wheels, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking, Sat Nav. £4,100 ONO

Tbc....

Arthur

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 29, 2008, 01:06:24 PM
Here here on the SEAT.
Ive just sold mine to the brother. I had it from new (2001) did 50k over the 7 years, and all I have had to do is replace tyres and exhaust. A great great car, fuel efficency is great, solid , comfortable, fast enough too. I couldnt recommend them highly enough.

I've had my astra from 2001 from new - 180,000 miles just had to replace the engine.  :P

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: fred the red on May 05, 2008, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 05, 2008, 02:42:25 PM

Sorry lads, its just gonna be a motor for myself (no kids yet!!), I havnt heard many bad reports for the vecrtra as yet but thanks for pointing this out.

Im not a big fan of the older shape focus, im not sure if the new shape was out around 05, if so i think its an attractive enough motor.

I quite like the meganes, but them seem to depreciate in value very quick ,and iv heard a few dodgy reports about them once they reach 3-4 year olds.

Don't go anywere near a Renault Megane,An absolute heap of shite as are most French cars
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Corporal

Corn O2 what are the Seat Leon's like? Really considering a new car and was looking for a Leon. They are quite high in price at the min so gona wait 12 or 18 monthsand hopefully they'll but cheaper. Also what would a Leon be like compared to a Golf?

An Fear Rua

Quote from: The Corporal on August 29, 2008, 01:28:53 PM
Corn O2 what are the Seat Leon's like? Really considering a new car and was looking for a Leon. They are quite high in price at the min so gona wait 12 or 18 monthsand hopefully they'll but cheaper. Also what would a Leon be like compared to a Golf?

Its basically a VW in disguise, uses all the same parts(although older vesrions) , they are low emissions, low insurance etc, and have good finish internally, all very VW
Its Grim up North

girt_giggler

Ive bought a leon a couple of months back. 1 year old for £11000.  Loving it.