Journalist Write-Off

Started by ONeill, May 02, 2008, 12:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

The first in a new series of journalist write-offs. Each week I will take two articles from the same newspaper by two of their journalists and decide who progresses on the strength of board opinion. I will be the final judge based on general consenus of the article's quality by board members.

1st quarter final:
Week of Monday 5th May -
Irish News 
Paddy Heaney v Kenny Archer.
Articles will be posted.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I'll be honest and say I don't read Mexican papers. Could some Indo/Star/Times etc officianados nominate the top 2 journos in their papers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is your legal team on stand-by ONeill? Here's hoping  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

Diarmuid Flynn, Jim O'Sullivan and Michael Moynihan of The Examiner, D'Paper of the langers, and all 3 gives excellent GAA coverage both nationally and provincially, and if any of the 3 are readers here, there is a certain Kerryman in need of a Rugby final ticket  ;)

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2008, 12:40:46 AM
I'll be honest and say I don't read Mexican papers. Could some Indo/Star/Times etc officianados nominate the top 2 journos in their papers.

Seán Moran, and Keith Duggan would be my nominees in the Irish Times, though Ian O'Riordan or Gavin Cummiskey would be in with a more than fair shout too. And I presume you mean top GAA journos (some of the papers south of Alaska have more important sports you know  :D)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/mexico.htm

Lots to choose from here way down Mexico way  :)

And a paper just for you ONeill. http://www.elnorte.com/
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

laoisgaa

The Star - face-off Peter Sweeney and Gordon Manning or Karl O'Kane - Armagh boy Martin Crummy is good too - geez I'm looking forward to this thread - I'll definitely tell the lads about it - sure we might stick it on the agenda for the next meeting of the Gaelic Writers Association in Mid-June!

Kerry Mike

Surely one of these great aforementioned sporting journalists will be able to to swing a ticket for Cardiff for a needy Kerryman.

It could be worth a few votes in the Write-Off  ;)
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

laoisgaa

You could add in Brendan O'Brien - a good Laois man from the Examiner stable into that face-off also. To give an extent of the number of GAA journalists these days 30 turned up for Ulster Bank's virtual GAA game launch during the week - a week of Seven GAA Press Conferences!! - Historicial in it's own right - seven pressers in four days - shows the extent of popularity of the GAA and long may it continue.

muppet

How can Tom Humphries not have been nominated? The best of his generation. He has made me laugh out loud in places that you shouldn't really laugh out loud. Posters here criticise him for overdoing the Dubs thing, but he is a Dub. Whaddaya expect?

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Tom Humphries has to be in it and would probably be short odds favourite although his colleague at the IT Keith Duggan won't be far away either. The two of them are streets ahead of anything else at the Times imo. That'd be the equivalent of a Manchester United v Chelsea third round FA Cup clash - one of the big guns has to go out early!
Keys and Brehony I think are the only choices at the Indo, can't stand Brehony myself.

What about the Sunday papers? I think there's some serious GAA feature writers there. You have Kieran Shannon, Enda McEvoy, Malachy Clerkin and Ewan McKenna at the Tribune; Michael Foley, Christy O'Connor and Denis Walsh at the Times and Damien Lawlor, Kevin Kimmage, Dermot Crowe and Eamonn Sweeney at the Sunday Indo. Loads to be getting on with there.
There's others then like the Mail, Mail on Sunday, Sunday World etc. Think Micheal Clifford and Shane McGrath from the Mail and John Fogarty from the Mail on Sunday are decent GAA writers
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

INDIANA

don't like moynihan,sweeney, o riordan,breheny, or any of the irish news journos. they are incapable of giving what might be termed balanced analysis. the first one has forgoten that the examiner dropped the term cork from the masthead some time back, sweeney is just an asshole and a wind up merchant, breheny is just no good at what he does and o riordan should stick to athletics because he knows absolutely nothing about the Gaa. The Irish News, ulster is king and all of that.

upthehoops

Don't forget Matt Fitzpatrick of Irish News and Down Recorder "fame"

Uladh

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 02, 2008, 01:19:23 AM
Surely one of these great aforementioned sporting journalists will be able to to swing a ticket for Cardiff for a needy Kerryman.

It could be worth a few votes in the Write-Off  ;)

How many votes do you have?

O'Neill essesntially decides who wins this given all his usernames will have a vote each

Surprised to see Michael Foley not listed. i enjoy a lot of his stuff.

Gnevin

When the Journalist are written off will the be sold on for salvage?
;)

I'll get my coat
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.