Stag-do in Galway

Started by ExiledGael, April 30, 2008, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Planning a weekend away in the summer. What's the story with local hotels and pubs etc here. Do they try to avoid the stag groups or would a hostel be the best bet? Probably about 25 of a crowd. Any local activities (go karting etc) advisable during the day? Looking online the place seems to be bunged with them.

Smokin Joe

It'll be busy, but I'd try to tie it in with the Races week.  Though I'd imagine accommodation would be difficult - but there is some atmosphere.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 30, 2008, 06:05:19 PM
Planning a weekend away in the summer. What's the story with local hotels and pubs etc here. Do they try to avoid the stag groups or would a hostel be the best bet? Probably about 25 of a crowd. Any local activities (go karting etc) advisable during the day? Looking online the place seems to be bunged with them.

If you call hotels try and book in in smaller groups. Maybe in groups of four. Same thing going into pubs and clubs (moreso clubs). Just break into smaller groups because a large group of men that bouncers don't recognise is like a red rag to a bull to them.

www.galway.net has loads of information regarding activities and just about everything else. Europe's largest karting centre is in Galway. Loughrea to be precise which is about 40 minutes outside Galway city.

magpie seanie

Galway is class, I absolutely love going on the beer there. Had my stag there early this year and it was great. Some stayed in hostels, some stayed in hotels - everywhere is so close together it makes no odds.

ExiledGael

Are we talking Dublin prices down there?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 30, 2008, 07:05:25 PM
Are we talking Dublin prices down there?

No. Definitely wouldn't be as expensive as Dublin.

stiffler

The quays pub in the city centre is a great spot for live music.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JimStynes

Stiffler did you and a crowd of boys not wreck Galway one year and get barred from returning to the county. So im told anyway

stiffler

Quote from: JimStynes on April 30, 2008, 10:53:50 PM
Stiffler did you and a crowd of boys not wreck Galway one year and get barred from returning to the county. So im told anyway

Yea  ::)
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Minder

Was on my mates stag in Galway about 6 years ago, we were in a minibus and i was sick the whole way home, seven hour journey i think. Will never forget it......... :-[
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

There's a village for students near the IT that they let out as short term appartments to groups for the summer. I'll try and dig out the name for you, but it was A1 for a stag that I was on. There was about 15 of us, in 3 appartments. About €10 taxi into Eyre Square and it was spot on. There's a shop and a restaurant for breakfast there as well, so you can do the needful before heading into town.

This is not the one we stayed in, this is for UCG students, but it looks even handier location wise.

http://www.corribvillage.com/?r=1889

Ryano

Most places are very strict on Stags. I live in Galway and was on one last weekend here in Galway with a gang of Cavan lads came down. Went into Front Door pub at 7.30 on Saturday had two rounds of bottles and were refused a third round. No reason given out from the girl behind the bar telling us "the door man won't let us serve you". This was at 7.30, all sober and quite, no acting the maggot, shouting etc and there was just 12 lads. This after the same lads had spent the previous Friday night in the same bar and they were monkeys drunk and had no problem getting served. Hit and miss how you get on.
So be careful, break up into smaller groups and you should be ok. We left and went to the Kings Head, Buskers, Quays and Halo night club without much trouble. Just make sure your not loud or falling around the place drunk.

dodo

Quote from: Ryano on May 01, 2008, 05:15:43 PM
We left and went to the Kings Head, Buskers, Quays and Halo night club without much trouble. Just make sure your not loud or falling around the place drunk.

Did you eventually get a pool table ?  :P