Munster Hurling Championship 2008

Started by youbetterbelieveit, April 25, 2008, 05:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2008?

Clare
0 (0%)
Cork
15 (42.9%)
Limerick
1 (2.9%)
Tipperary
16 (45.7%)
Waterford
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

youbetterbelieveit

1st June
Munster Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final
Clare v Waterford (TBC)
Verdict Waterford win

8th June
Munster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Cork v Tipperary (Páirc Uí Chaoimh)
Verdict Tipperary win

22nd June
Munster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Limerick v Clare/Waterford (TBC)
Verdict Limerick win

13th July
Munster Senior Hurling Championship Final
Limerick v Tipperary
Verdict Tipperary win

Bacon

Tipp to beat Waterford in the final. I was impressed with tipp in the NHL final.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

homeofhurling8

One small point chaps,a relevant one nonetheless,we have NEVER beaten Cork in senior championship hurling in Pairc ui Cuiomh,far better Tipp teams than this current outfit have failed by the Lee.

AZOffaly

Well said hoh (Welcome back by the way :D). I would suggest that Tipp are in for a huge, huge fight down in Cork, and I would be tipping Cork to win that game, despite the fact that Tipp are certainly an improving team.

Clare and Waterford is supposed to be in Limerick, I believe, so that is almost home advantage for the Banner, (actually some Clare lads would tell you it is ACTUALLY home advantage). I have a feeling Waterford have changed their focus this year. They were a team that tried to hit the ground running in the league and Munster Championship for the past few years, and there is a perception that this has cost them at the business end of the year. Maybe so, but I think that they have made a conscious decision to take their chances in the league, and even the Munster Championship this season, and will try to hit their peak in July/August, rather than maintain from May onwards. Their full back line is getting shuffled again, with the Bull back in the corner, and a couple of lads being tried at full back, even though Prendergast looked decent for a lot of last year. In this game, Clare may not be good enough to take advantage, but I think they (Clare) will be focussed on this game, and this game only. Waterford will be looking beyond it. It will be close, and Waterford are the better team on paper, but if it's in Limerick, and Clare are 'right' I will be backing Clare for the first surprise of the championship.

After that I'll take a pass until we see what happens, but if you forced me to play my hand I'd go something like this

Clare v Waterford - Clare
Limerick v Clare - Limerick
Cork v Tipp - Cork

Cork v Limerick - Cork,

Croí na hÉireann

I think yous might be writing off Waterford a little early lads, they've been tipping along under the radar and would expect them to beat Clare. I'd also expect them to take care of Limerick as I'm sure the AI Semi is still hurting from last year. Even though Tipp have blazed a trail recently I'd still tip Cork to win in Páirc Úi Caoimh, they were a different team against Galway in the second half when they put out their experienced players. Cork - Waterford final, could go either way, will tip Waterford to edge it to nail that semi final spot, which would ensure they wouldn't get blindsided like they did last year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I'm not writing Waterford off at all Croi, I'm just trying to guess their focus for this year. They might be looking at a relatively easier path through the qualifiers, albeit with an extra quarter final that the provincial winners won't have, as an area that might not be the worst possible route this year. If they are going gung ho for Munster again, I would expect them to do as you say. I just think they will be a work in progress in June this year, rather than the finished article they were in the past few years. (I mean that as a compliment). In no way do I feel they are 'finished'.

Croí na hÉireann

Maybe writing off was a bit strong but I think the qualifiers will be a minefield this year. I must look up how the draws will work but you're gonna have Galway and one of Tipp or Cork in there. Plus if they win Munster they'll avoid the Cats till the final. IMO they'll be aiming to peak for the Munster Final and keep this going till they have to ascend the steps of the Hogan. This is the best and IMO their only route to success in Sept this year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bord na Mona man

I wonder are Waterford planning to peak later in the year this time?
Last year they won the league and Munster, but come August they were pipped by Limerick who took the scenic route.
Statistically teams who have to play a quarter final rarely win out in Munster.

While Tipp will be pleased to have won 3 tough knockout matches in the League, you have to remember that a new young manager was always going to try and get momentum going early in the year and try and instill a winning habit.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on April 25, 2008, 08:44:19 AM
One small point chaps,a relevant one nonetheless,we have NEVER beaten Cork in senior championship hurling in Pairc ui Cuiomh,far better Tipp teams than this current outfit have failed by the Lee.
Welcome back HOH.
I'd fancy Tipp to break that record in the next couple of years (assuming ye are drawn against them).
I think the current Cork side has grown old together and will need a lot of rebuilding soon.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 25, 2008, 01:08:10 PM
I wonder are Waterford planning to peak later in the year this time?
Last year they won the league and Munster, but come August they were pipped by Limerick who took the scenic route.
Statistically teams who have to play a quarter final rarely win out in Munster.

While Tipp will be pleased to have won 3 tough knockout matches in the League, you have to remember that a new young manager was always going to try and get momentum going early in the year and try and instill a winning habit.

I'd agree with all of that BnM. I was reading an interview in the Sunday Times a while ago about Ken McGrath, and he was only just back, took his time after a bit of an injury. Last year he'd have been rushed back in to get hurling quickly. From talking to a couple of their fans, it seems there is a marked lack of enthusiasm for another Munster title, certainly at the expense of an All Ireland. I think their mentality will be to try and win every game, but if they lose a Munster championship game it won't kill them as long as they are peaking in the late Summer.

homeofhurling8

Waterford were streets behind Tipp fitness wise in the league quarter final and judging by their touch that day i would seriously doubt that they had any ballwork done in training at that stage,that would suggest to me that they are looking to peak around All Ireland quarter final time as they did in 06 when they lost convincingly to Tipp in Munster only to beat us convincingly in the All Ireland quarter final,obviously losing Eoin Murphy and Tony Browne wont help either but i assume Murphy will be back for the Quarter final.

TBT

Cork are a serious unknown going into this compaign. Ronan Curran, Jerry O Connor,Ben O Connor,Joe Deane and Niall Mc have all carried/are currently carrying long term injuries. 4/5 months training  behind a limited enough Tipp side which has gathered much needed momentum in the league. Diarmuid O Sullivan,in particular, is beginning to show his age. He literally has been the rock on which this Cork side has been built. The other side of the draw will be cannon fodder in the Munster final particularly if rumors of the unravelling of Waterford are to believed.

timmykelleher

Woohoo!
Cork ahead on 5 votes!

Personally I think Tipp should be ranked ahead after winning the league.

What I am banking on is the mantle of favourites weighing them down against a Cork team that didn't have too bad a league themselves.

Admittedly some of Cork's form was patchy during the league with poor first half performances against Antrim, Dublin and Galway standing out.
I feel though that in all of these games we finished the stronger. Ronan Curran didn't play half bad against Galway for someone with a long term injury TBT!
Neil Ronan was our best forwad in the league and he should be back for the Tipp game.
We've also blooded some of our younger players and Gerald will be able to put his own stamp on the team this year.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Lecale2

Never rule the Cork men out! Cork to win it beating Waterford in the final. The final's on my birthday this year so if i bump into any you you can buy me a drink.

Bord na Mona man

In like Flynn? Waterford marksman considering return

WATERFORD hurling boss Justin McCarthy should find out this week whether Paul Flynn will make himself available for the coming championship campaign.

The Ballygunner man, who has been plagued by injury in recent seasons, said yesterday: "I am still thinking about it but I'll make a call over the next few days. The body will make the decision.

"Everyone thinks they can go on forever but they can't. The body will decide."

Flynn made his comments at the launch of the FBD All-Ireland GAA Golf Challenge, in which over 120 GAA clubs from Ireland and the US will compete.

l Pictured above, Waterford's Dave Bennett tries out a different form of putting at Carton House, Maynooth, Co Kildare, watched by (from left) Steven McDonnell, Paul Flynn,Greg Kennedy and Eddie Brennan.