Ulster Hurling Championship 2008

Started by ONeill, April 24, 2008, 10:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Well, a bit of excitement this year as 10 counties compete in her.

May 11th
Ulster Senior Hurling Championship
Cavan v Monaghan (Cavan) - MONAGHAN TO WIN
Fermanagh v Tyrone (Fermanagh) FERMANAGH TO WIN

18th
Ulster Senior Hurling Championship
Cavan/Monaghan v Donegal (Donegal/Monaghan) - DONEGAL TO WIN
Fermanagh/Tyrone v London (London/Tyrone) - FERMANAGH TO WIN

25th
Ulster Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Finals
Derry v Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal - DERRY TO WIN
Armagh v Fermanagh/Tyrone/London - ARMAGH TO WIN

June 1st
Ulster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
Antrim v Derry/Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal - ANTRIM
Down v Armagh/Fermanagh/Tyrone/London - DOWN

15th
Ulster Senior Hurling Championship Final - ANTRIM
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

youbetterbelieveit

My own take would be.

Cavan v Monaghan - Verdict Monaghan win
Fermanagh v Tyrone  - Verdict Fermanagh win

Monaghan v Donegal - Verdict Donegal win
Fermanagh v London - Verdict London win

Derry v Donegal - Verdict Derry win
Armagh v London - Verdict Armagh win

Antrim v Derry - Verdict Antrim win
Down v Armagh - Verdict Down win

Antrim v Down - Verdict Antrim win

slow corner back

Hopefully it helps push Donegal or Down onwards towards a Christy Ring or Nicky Rackard success. Otherwise what is the point?

ONeill

Last year Armagh were on the cusp of an Ulster Final. Ulster's not exactly a hotbed of hurling proficiency.

I think it means a lot, and I know there are concerns about hammerings. However - your county playing in the 'Ulster Senior Hurling Championship' might get a few young lads swinging.

nrico2006

QuoteMy own take would be.

Cavan v Monaghan - Verdict Monaghan win
Fermanagh v Tyrone  - Verdict Tyrone win

Monaghan v Donegal - Verdict Donegal win
Tyrone v London - Verdict Tyrone win

Derry v Donegal - Verdict Derry win
Armagh v Tyrone - Verdict Tyrone win

Antrim v Derry - Verdict Antrim win
Down v Tyrone - Verdict Down win
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

groundlie

Yeah should be an interesting 'trail' anyway!

bennydorano

Dont think Armagh have pushed on from last year as hoped, should still be too good for Tyrone, but any element of suprise is gone when playing the 'big three' of Ulster.

johnneycool

Quote from: bennydorano on May 07, 2008, 11:13:54 AM
Dont think Armagh have pushed on from last year as hoped, should still be too good for Tyrone, but any element of suprise is gone when playing the 'big three' of Ulster.

big 'one' you mean!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

First Round Scores;

Monaghan 2-15 Cavan 1-16
Tyrone 1-11 Fermanagh 2-7

ONeill

Tyrone v London with weekend for the chance to meet Armagh.

Minder

We have a board member playing for Tyrone this week,(if selected after his disastrous performance against Fermanagh) perhaps he could get us tickets for the game.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: ONeill on April 25, 2008, 08:21:25 PM
Last year Armagh were on the cusp of an Ulster Final. 
An interesting take on it alright ONeill, though just 3 points away really when you think about it ;)

Lecale2

Good to see two close games in the opening round. These games could be good preparation for the Nicky Rackard Cup.

billy the kid

Quote from: ONeill on April 25, 2008, 08:21:25 PM
Last year Armagh were on the cusp of an Ulster Final. Ulster's not exactly a hotbed of hurling proficiency.

I think it means a lot, and I know there are concerns about hammerings. However - your county playing in the 'Ulster Senior Hurling Championship' might get a few young lads swinging.

Derry beat them in the Quarter final so they were a bit more than a point away from an Ulster final.

Armagh have gone back this year and I wouldnt be certain of them reaching the Semi.  They beat London by 6/7 points in the league but it was a tight game and London had travelled without some of their top players.  If London overcome Tyrone and I think they will, I fancy them to beat Armagh in the QF.

But I do agree that bar a major shock somewhere Antrim will be lifting the title again.

Derry are under new management, are rebuilding and have a panel with an average age of 21/22 and will be good in a year or two.  They also suffer badly due to dual players opting out of panel due to lack of support from the county board and Club football games are often arranged on county hurling nights and the days or nights before games.

Down are under new management also and have the potential to mount a serious challenge to Antrim but confidence has to be rebuilt after last years hammering against Antrim. Paul Braniff also needs to stay fit and \Magic johnson needs to find the Magic again.

Armagh have gone as far as they can go. Mattie Lennon will prob leave after this year and some of the older players on the panel may go also.  Havent got the players to push any further up the pecking order and will be under serious pressure from Donegal for the 4th spot in Ulster.  Armagh should have stayed in Nicky Rackard for another year as they could have a genuine chance of winning it this year as nobody dropped down from Christy ring. Might beat London if games in Keady But will def lose if game in Ruislip.  Have no chance of beating down.

Donegal were the 4th team in Ulster until last year but went back a little last year allowing Armagh to overtake them.  In 2006 they reached the Nicky Rackard final and although they were beaten heavily by Derry it should have been a launch pad to bigger things.  They have added some young blood to their squad over the last 2 years and will be serious challengers for the Nicky Rackard cup.  Will overtake Armagh in next Year or so.

Tyrone should be at a similar level to Donegal and Armagh but are years behind in coaching at underage and organisational levels.  Have the potential to give Nicky Rackard a real go.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

neilthemac

big result for Monaghan

fair play to them