Ciaran McDonald not named in Mayo panel

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 24, 2008, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

ye feel very sorry for  howley farrandeelin i really like him as a footballer strong  agressive fair hopefully it he can be back soon ,but he wouldn't want to rush is specially with an ankle injury he would be a big loss for Knockmore as well. However it looks like the same auld story with the full back line. Did conroy play against laois last week?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bomber2312

Has Davy K burned his bridges with mayo altogether? I can see Mayo goin with, Higgins, Conroy, Nallen, Heaney, Cunniffe, Higgins -- losing howley is a massive loss.

gardiner is now a forward, he came on as a forward the last night against meath and has played there or midfiled for mayo this year.

Harte is a very frustrating footballer....like most mayo players first instinct is to solo, second is to hand pass, until we learn to distribute the ball quickly with the foot we will struggle, in the first half against meath MacGarrity and Dillion put on abit of a show with their foot passing...in the second though it was very rare to see an accurate foot pass

ildanach

realistically with the suspect full back line Keith Higgins is going to have to go back in the corner. This is a real pity though as he is developing into a great wing back.  I would like to see trevor mortimer back at wing back again with heaney and cuniffe making the half back line.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

stephenite

Quote from: Bomber2312 on May 13, 2008, 11:14:22 AM
Has Davy K burned his bridges with mayo altogether?

Quite a fall from grace - rumours that he had falling out with Johnno, but I've no idea if there's any truth in that

ildanach

i thought someone said on here that he was taking a year out to enjoy himself
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

IolarCoisCuain

There's a great pic of Ronan McGarrity going up for a ball in the Mayo News today:

Quality.  8)

AZOffaly

Why is the Meath lad grabbing him by the arse?

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: ildanach on May 13, 2008, 01:00:08 PM

That's much closer to the mark ildanach unfortunately, I doubt we'll see him this year

moysider

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on May 13, 2008, 01:48:22 PM
Quote from: ildanach on May 13, 2008, 01:00:08 PM

That's much closer to the mark ildanach unfortunately, I doubt we'll see him this year

So playing for your county is not enjoyable? If thats his attitute let him belt away.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 13, 2008, 10:57:19 AM
I think you'll see Gardiner at 10 or 12 Moysider, based on the early setup of the team during the league. Galvin and Dooher have revolutionised the role of the wing-forward, and it looked from the start of the league that Gardiner was to be Johnno's best guess as a Galvin or Dooher.

Someone was saying on the Mayo GAA Blog that Parsons ought to be given a run at 11, and have Harte and McGarrity in midfield. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I do still retain the hope that McDonald and O'Mahony will be able to patch things up though. It's still five weeks, if not more, 'til Sligo. That's enough time, surely, for the two men to bury the hatchet and think of the common good, surely?

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 13, 2008, 10:57:19 AM
I think you'll see Gardiner at 10 or 12 Moysider, based on the early setup of the team during the league. Galvin and Dooher have revolutionised the role of the wing-forward, and it looked from the start of the league that Gardiner was to be Johnno's best guess as a Galvin or Dooher.

Someone was saying on the Mayo GAA Blog that Parsons ought to be given a run at 11, and have Harte and McGarrity in midfield. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I do still retain the hope that McDonald and O'Mahony will be able to patch things up though. It's still five weeks, if not more, 'til Sligo. That's enough time, surely, for the two men to bury the hatchet and think of the common good, surely?

Agree that Gardiner more likely to feature as a wing forward and the more I think about it the more I think he will start. I think hes part of management s picture.
I ve already said on here that Parson s could be a no 11 but its a bit late to be finding out for sure. Worringly we re far from a settled team unless management have one worked out in their heads. For arguements sake how close could any of us come to starting the 15 v Sligo - barring injuries. Not the team we d like to see but the mostly likely team based on the evidence so far? Why don t we try it for the craic?
As for McDonald I think any hope of seeing him this year is a forlorn one- unless you go watch Crossmolina play, which is always to be recommended. If Management wanted him he d be there. That Brehony interview showed he wanted to be there. Don t think he would have given that interview if he felt there was a chance he was wanted. It was a bit of a bridge burner. Think Johnno will let it ride. He ll be happy enough with support he s got from heavy hitters in the media and the next 5 weeks will calm everything down. He ll be delighted to have put it to bed so long before the Sligo match. Only defeat later in the summer would stir things up a bit and depending when and how it happens Johnno could well be cuttin his stick by then anyway.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tubberman on May 06, 2008, 02:14:04 PM
Ever since the championship panel appeared in The Irish Times last Friday week, Ciaran McDonald was the major topic of discussion wherever Mayo GAA people gathered. In public houses, at matches and on internet discussion boards, the question was the same: 'What's the story with McDonald?'
'RedandGreenSniper' got the online ball rolling on www.gaaboard.com, noting that McDonald's omission appeared to signal the end of his inter-county career. "Thanks for the memories Ciaran," the contributor wrote. "You will always hold a place in the hearts of Mayo fans and, I'm sure, fans of football all over Ireland."
As of yesterday (Monday) afternoon, the thread which this post sparked had prompted over 200 replies and been viewed over 4,000 times. Variations on the same debate were also ongoing on the Hogan Stand, Mayo Fans and An Fear Rua websites.
As speculation mounted about why McDonald wasn't involved and whether he would return, 'IolarCoisCuain' urged caution, noting: "It's a long road yet, and there's no need for hullaballoo."
But a hullaballoo there most certainly was last Wednesday morning when the Irish Independent carried a rare interview with Ciaran McDonald. The Crossmolina clubman told Martin Breheny that it was not his choice that he was not involved with Mayo and that he was unhappy with John O'Mahony's handling of the matter.
The first many people knew of the interview was when they turned on Midwest Radio. Having opened his morning programme with a summary of McDonald's criticisms, presenter Tommy Marren interviewed John O'Mahony, who said there was no reason why McDonald couldn't play for Mayo again.
As phones hummed and text messages flew back and forth, online reaction was swift. 'Tubberman' suggested that neither manager nor player had 'handled the situation particularly well' and concluded: "JOM is really under the microscope now and has to deliver this year". 'Stephenite' was of the opinion that 'if a player wants to play the onus should be on him to stay in contact with the manager and let him know what his situation is', but 'the Deel Rover' disagreed, saying: "The onus is on the management to let the players know whether you ... are part of their plans or not".
Referring to the situation as 'a serious shambles', a poster called 'Barney' said the McDonald interview had 'really blown the cat amongst the pigeons'. Criticising contact by text, he added: "For me the problem begins and ends with this daft notion of a public announcement of a championship panel". 'Maradona' (presumably not the Argentinian Maradona) said that he was probably McDonald's 'biggest fan', but that the 'will he won't he' questions which had dogged Mayo teams in recent years went 'against collective team building'. The 'ideal scenario', he concluded, would be for both men to 'get together and sort out the issues'.
Perhaps the most unlikely scenario outlined on all the discussion boards was the 'McDonald for President' call by 'midLouth'. Mind you, stranger things have happened. After all, Saipan spawned a musical ...
[/quote]

see your now famous in mayo midlouth free drink wherever you go  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Bomber2312

Moysider, my estimation for sligo game would be:
Clarke
Nallen
Conroy
Boyle
Heany
Cunniffe
Higgins
MacGarrity
Harte
Gardiner
Dillion
T Mort
C Mort
Austie
A Moran

its a funny thought but we have an attacking half back line and a defensive half forward line....d modern game eh?

the Deel Rover

jesus we don't have that many which one did we steal not that i remember nor my dad nor my grandfather ;) :P
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2008, 01:48:10 PM
Why is the Meath lad grabbing him by the arse?

He's a doctor, just checking to see if mcgarrity is fully over the cancer
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me