Governement grants and Player suspensions

Started by stephenite, April 23, 2008, 12:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Something bothering me, it has struck me that if a player gets a hefty suspension from the GAA should he still be entitled to a grant from the government? Is there any sort of mechanism whereby the grant allotted to a player is witheld in the event of poor disciplinary records or bringing the game into disrepute.

Not fishing against the Dubs here per se - but if a team has a very poor disciplinary record should the grants be with held from the entire panel. Seems entirely reasonable to me that players who receive more than a 3 months suspenion should automatically forefit their grant money - give it to charity or something instead. Might be hard to implement but feck it if players are going to get paid a grant they should be more accountable for their behaviour on and off the field, and suffer the consequences if they fail to do so.

Any thoughts?

Hardy

Fines? That's what happens in other professional sports.

orangeman

Whelan and all those lads will still be doing the training etc so therefore will be abe to lift their "wages" at the end of the week.
It would be different if they got a 6 month suspension or something like that.

magpie seanie

Yeah but surely indiscipline and scenes like last weekends aren't "fostering our cultural heritage" or to paraphrase Morgan Freeman in Shawshank - are they just some bullshit words....

Uladh

As i understand it the basic premise of the GAA's expenses ethos is that members should not be out of pocket. removing "expenses" would surely conflict with that aspiration given that the players don't earn anything

rrhf

The fines might make them think twice alright. Might cause a strike though.   

Uladh

Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 10:45:49 AM
The fines might make them think twice alright. Might cause a strike though.   

And what if someone could not afford your fine?

rrhf

ANSWER A) Do you know any poor intercounty players?
ANSWER B) Dont do the crime if you cant afford the fine!
ANSWER C) Put it down to expenses.
* delete as appropriate

Uladh

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 12:42:09 PM
ANSWER B) Dont do the crime if you cant afford the fine!
ANSWER C) Put it down to expenses.
* delete as appropriate

Jesus rrhf, you're on the ball there !  ;D

feetofflames

Uladh are you against fines in principle or is it because you see them as the opposite to grants.  Fine the fcuk out of them I say.  We'll soon have that money running back into the coffers - buy booze and we can have one big f**king grasssroots party boy. 
Chief Wiggum

Zapatista

Quote from: Uladh on April 23, 2008, 10:42:27 AM

As i understand it the basic premise of the GAA's expenses ethos is that members should not be out of pocket. removing "expenses" would surely conflict with that aspiration given that the players don't earn anything

If a player is suspended would they have less expence during the suspension?

Hound

Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 12:42:09 PM
Gas. Sums up pretty well the general begrudgery held by many here against the arrogant hoors who manage to get picked to play for their county.

Uladh

anyone who thinks it would be ok to fine amateur sportsmen is an idiot

Zapatista

I agree. Would suspended athletes incur less expense than those not suspended?