Governement grants and Player suspensions

Started by stephenite, April 23, 2008, 12:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 12:42:09 PM
ANSWER A) Do you know any poor intercounty players?
ANSWER B) Dont do the crime if you cant afford the fine!
ANSWER C) Put it down to expenses.
* delete as appropriate

I know some IC players who don't have a job at the miute due to the current economic downturn.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Hound on April 23, 2008, 02:00:47 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 12:42:09 PM
ANSWER A) Do you know any poor intercounty players?
Gas. Sums up pretty well the general begrudgery held by many here against the arrogant hoors who manage to get picked to play for their county.

rrhf sounds like one of those ignorant county board or club officiers who are mainly responsible for the reason why the GPA came into existence

rrhf

Max you humour me
uladh you dont
Lads I was treating the proposal of fining players with the disdain that it deserves.  I read my comments back and they surely are a humouous enough reply to Uladh bating the auld drum about players not being able to afford fines ffs.  Surely ye can see that it was a little almost self deprecating humour. 
My view on players is that they economically are no worse off than anyone else who has a passionate love for the GAA and puts their money with their support ie where their mouth is.
Aside to that as a rule of thumb -anyone who can make money in life will generally make money, anyone who cant will probably generally not.   

Uladh

No, your statement was in keeping with all of your previous dour mantra and when you realised you looked a clown you've played the old "aah sure i was only jkin" card.

o and if you're gonna quote me do it accurately, there's a good man... i never said players could not afford to pay fines.

i said that anyone who suggests they should is an idiot...

rrhf

Uladh you know what it was a sensible reply to a sensible thread then, if you prefer!!
It was only when I realised what a great crock of shitty sense you talk that I decide to agree wholehearted with you, from now on whatever you say Im 100 percent with you on it.  Maybe then when you read back  your online doppleganger you will realise that you dont really like yourself that much either.   :D

Hardy

Of course it's foolish to suggest that amateur players should be fined. However, should players who are in receipt of grants continue to receive those grants, ostensibly to reward them for promoting Irish culture and sport, if they have been found guilty of bringing the Association into disrepute?

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2008, 04:42:33 PM
Of course it's foolish to suggest that amateur players should be fined. However, should players who are in receipt of grants continue to receive those grants, ostensibly to reward them for promoting Irish culture and sport, if they have been found guilty of bringing the Association into disrepute?

Sure it was only an auld bit of handbags - nobody got a decent slap in the whole thing !!

Hardy

Arrah you can't be making policy on the basis of "it was only an auld bit of handbags". Anyway, I'm speaking in general, like.

Uladh

You'd have to revisit the rule book hardy. who was the last person found guilty of bringing the association into disrepute? John Bannon?

Uladh

Quote from: rrhf on April 23, 2008, 03:58:28 PM
Uladh you know what it was a sensible reply to a sensible thread then, if you prefer!!
It was only when I realised what a great crock of shitty sense you talk that I decide to agree wholehearted with you, from now on whatever you say Im 100 percent with you on it.  Maybe then when you read back  your online doppleganger you will realise that you dont really like yourself that much either.   :D

Anything beyond your own thoughts will be an improvement

Hardy

I know there's no such literal rule, Uladh. But if you're suspended for scrapping or for any misbehaviour for that matter, you're not exactly enhancing the repute of the GAA, or doing the job you're being paid for - promoting the games.

Hardy

I wouldn't bother ML - it changes every three months.

AZOffaly

I was annoyed reading the programme notes by Nicky Brennan at the Hurling League final last weekend. I can't remember the exact quotes, but the headline was 'Government Expenses Scheme' and was followed by a bit of self serving blather. I have it in the car, so I'll type it up later, but the man loses more respect from me every time he opens his mouth. I think he is a populist political type, instead of truly considering the GAA's best interests on matters.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2008, 04:10:07 PM
I was annoyed reading the programme notes by Nicky Brennan at the Hurling League final last weekend. I can't remember the exact quotes, but the headline was 'Government Expenses Scheme' and was followed by a bit of self serving blather. I have it in the car, so I'll type it up later, but the man loses more respect from me every time he opens his mouth. I think he is a populist political type, instead of truly considering the GAA's best interests on matters.

It's all a bit too late for Nicky and the GAA !

AZOffaly

That makes no sense orangeman? what's too late? I'm not specifically talking about the grants issue. Even though that horse has bolted, there are other issues where we need a good, strong president.