Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewanderer

why didnt he employ professional advisors during his hearing. he unfortunately keeps goin over old ground and the religious biased card. i think he will end up with egg on his face. a good lad, means well but boring is a nice comment.

mournerambler

Quote from: thewanderer on May 06, 2010, 12:16:51 PM
why didnt he employ professional advisors during his hearing. he unfortunately keeps goin over old ground and the religious biased card. i think he will end up with egg on his face. a good lad, means well but boring is a nice comment.

Either he can't justify paying a Barrister or he's looking for a sympathy vote by representing himself, every time I read the IN report on the previous days' evidence, Jerome does sound like a broken record, bottom line is that the BBC Barrister is a Professional of employment law I'd imagine, a highly paid individual & I will hassard a guess that he was quite happy to see 'Mr GAA' representing himself, any man who earns circa £300 per hour as a lawyer would surely clap his hands at the prospect of having an 'ordinary five 8th' tied up in knots due to his inadequacies in giving evidence or having his case properly prepared in regards to dates etc.

Throw ball

Quote from: mournerambler on May 06, 2010, 01:20:14 PM
Quote from: thewanderer on May 06, 2010, 12:16:51 PM

Either he can't justify paying a Barrister or he's looking for a sympathy vote by representing himself, every time I read the IN report on the previous days' evidence, Jerome does sound like a broken record, bottom line is that the BBC Barrister is a Professional of employment law I'd imagine, a highly paid individual & I will hassard a guess that he was quite happy to see 'Mr GAA' representing himself, any man who earns circa £300 per hour as a lawyer would surely clap his hands at the prospect of having an 'ordinary five 8th' tied up in knots due to his inadequacies in giving evidence or having his case properly prepared in regards to dates etc.

Without commenting directly on the case I think that it would not be unusual for an employee to represent themselves in such as case as if they now have no income they would be unable to afford proper representation. Other well know legal people may, or may not, be giving him advice but they have there own income to earn and would be unlikely to give up 2 or 3 weeks fee income.

Throw ball

On a separate point would it have been more financially prudent for the BBC to pay him some compensation, with a clause to keep quiet, than to use licence payers money to pay barristers to defend the case. There is no guarantee of success or costs being awarded.

The Hammer

The whole bias of the BBC is not against one person Mr Quinn but against the whole GAA/Catholic tradition.

I believe that Mr Quinn knows this. And the only way the story will get out is if more light is shed onto it.

The GAA Coverage has been pegged back over the last number of years, but as soon as this case started to gain media attention they announced that they were in the middle of finishing a deal for the TV rights of more Matches.

The BBC keep using this "SEASON TICKET" show as a way of saying we do give Catholic and GAA people a voice, when in a way if it wasnt for osin mc conville, John Duddy and Barney Eastwood they wouldnt have a pile to show on that show.

If Rory Mciroy farts its on the BBC but St Galls didnt get alot of media attention until the week of the All ireland Club Final.

I belive Mr Quinn just wants to shine the light on the whole thing, and maybe get abit of tin out of it.

and for the record, Ive met Jerome and he was always a gentleman, I wish him all the best.

Hardy

Quote from: The Hammer on May 06, 2010, 02:30:10 PM

If Rory Mciroy farts its on the BBC

Will there be repeats?

The Hammer

Main Street

Quote from: Throw ball on May 06, 2010, 01:40:42 PM
On a separate point would it have been more financially prudent for the BBC to pay him some compensation, with a clause to keep quiet, than to use licence payers money to pay barristers to defend the case. There is no guarantee of success or costs being awarded.
That would put the BBC in a permanent state of liability towards any charge of  "its not fair".

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 06, 2010, 01:40:42 PM
That would put the BBC in a permanent state of liability towards any charge of  "its not fair".
Exactly. Such a move would open the floodgates.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2010, 03:47:34 PM
Belly telly

The former face of BBC Northern Ireland's GAA coverage has told an industrial tribunal he failed to raise concerns about disciplinary proceedings against him because he had lost faith in the process.

Jerome Quinn, who was sacked last year after he was discovered criticising the BBC in anonymous web posts, is alleging unfair dismissal and discrimination on the grounds of his Irish Catholic identity.

Tariq Sadiq, the BBC's lawyer, asked Mr Quinn why he had not raised concerns over findings of an appeal into a number of grievances about his employment.

"I had no confidence in the BBC disciplinary process and I don't recall putting an awful lot of time and effort into it. I didn't see much point in going and putting all my energy into that," he said.

The tribunal continues.

That would appear to take the bottom away from his complaint.
Unless he can support his "no confidence" with a reasonable argument, he will have a tough time with case if his employer can prove they followed proper procedure.

Puckoon

Hold on - Shane Glynn is gay?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 06, 2010, 12:03:55 PM
Were did the 'Mr GAA' thing come from, did he say that everyone is to call him this (Paul Ince called me Govnur style), or did someone on here come up with this name and then use it as a stick to beat him with?

It comes from JQ himself. However he is not proclaiming himself to be Mr GAA (as some posters here have rambled about), on the contrary, he used to term to describe how he was regarded by what he regards as the anti-GAA elite inside the BBC in his 14 page statement presented to the tribunal

"(I received) less favourable treatment than if I was Protestant, British and not associated with the GAA," he told the panel, insisting he was "subjected to harassment on religious and racial grounds". Mr Quinn accused his bosses of reducing the prime-time coverage of Gaelic games and having a "negative approach to GAA reportage".
"(There was) an increase in Protestant-followed sport and decrease in GAA which disadvantaged Catholics," he said.
This directly affected him: "As I was Mr GAA."

Lady GAA GAA

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 08:36:11 PM
It comes from JQ himself. However he is not proclaiming himself to be Mr GAA

Jerome:
Quote"I was Mr GAA."

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 08:36:11 PM
It comes from JQ himself. However he is not proclaiming himself to be Mr GAA (as some posters here have rambled about)
I've read the quote numerous times now. That's how he saw himself within BBC.