Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Best of luck to Jerome, though I don't fancy his chances going up against such a juggernaut.

BBC NI sports coverage is unashamedly lop-sided. Probably made worse because Final Score kicks in to ruin a Saturday evening when they are just about to show the Premiership table.
We are then treated a lengthy medley of footballing bloopers at various tumbleweed strewn venues with more Union Jacks than fans in them.
You'll have goalkeepers fresh-airing at dribbly back passes, defenders slicing a clearance in the top corner of their own goal from 30 yards and goals scored from a throw in via deflections off 2 posts, 3 backs of heads and 4 arses!

The BBC of sport is well taken off here by the Apres Match folks  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kN15IZGeMg

Zapatista

I hope Jerome wins his unfair dismissal case but can't see things improve for the GAA on the BBC. They'll just be more carefull in future.

ONeill

Going to buck the trend a wee bit here and defend the BBC. Last year, the BBC showed every Ulster Championship game bar one. They even televised the Cavan/Fermanagh slugfest and sure everyone knows Fermanagh is just water and Cavan's not even part of the sick counties. I think in the calendar year they showed one live soccer game from the Irish league - the Cup final. Throw in half a dozen NI games to that.

People talk about the BBC not showing club games within counties during the year. When on earth has RTE shown any interest in the club game from March til October? RTE's coverage of the NFL was relatively crap. The BBC actually showed clips on a Monday from a few of the second division games. The soccer v GAA Saturday coverage is a bit of an anomaly as what GAA can be shown at 5pm on a Saturday? In terms of the daily 6.30pm news, the soccer did seem to get first billing from Monday-Wed with the GAA perhaps forcing its way to the top of the news values the Thurs and Fri before a big game. That did grate a bit.

In terms of Jerome's case, a lot of it doesn't really make any sense. He mentions the Catholic/Irish oppression. Austin O'Callaghan, Thomas Niblock, Thomas Kane etc sort of negates that. Outside of sport I know personally of two high profile BBC correspondants from republican West Belfast who appear to be thriving career wise.

Jerome did a lot for the GAA on the BBC and kept batting away at the hatches when it was a rarity to get anthing on it and he truly deserves the moniker Mr GAA of the BBC. We owe him that. He may/must have experience some injustice from the hierarchy for him to take his case this far. Although it was probably inadvisable of him to take the case himself, I'd doubt if he could get anyone else to do it anyway. One good thing that could come out of this is that their GAA coverage may receive another boost out of embarrassment.

On a personal level, and it's just an honest appraisal of the two, I find O'Callaghan's presenting style and skills in a different league to Jerome. Quinn had a habit of reading out banal emails on who had the nicest jersies or best looking player to a rather bemused  McHugh and Burns whilst failing to keep tabs on his obvious Tyrone bias. O'Callaghan comes across as a much shrewder judge of a game and can ask searching questions of the panel. If the GAA were to get a much more in depth coverage as they did last year, in my opinion, O'Callaghan deserved the gig.

Again, on a personal level, I couldn't give a fiddlers about the British Broadcasting Corporation and their coverage of the GAA. I'll always use RTE (although I believe that's not an option for everyone) with the BBC as a back up if their game is more interesting. I don't pay me licence fee for the GAA coverage.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

irunthev

Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2010, 08:43:31 PM
On a personal level, and it's just an honest appraisal of the two, I find O'Callaghan's presenting style and skills in a different league to Jerome. Quinn had a habit of reading out banal emails on who had the nicest jersies or best looking player to a rather bemused  McHugh and Burns whilst failing to keep tabs on his obvious Tyrone bias. O'Callaghan comes across as a much shrewder judge of a game and can ask searching questions of the panel. If the GAA were to get a much more in depth coverage as they did last year, in my opinion, O'Callaghan deserved the gig.

I would have to agree with O'Neill. Although I respect Jerome for the stand he is taking, he is not a good presenter and the shows he was involved in often made difficult viewing. He is an excellent, indeed exceptional journalist and writer, but is in no way an accomplished presenter. In fact there are very few sports presenters on BBC NI who could be classed as competent or easy to listen to.

ONeill

yes, Jerome definitely has a lot to offer in terms of journalism - he was tireless in his online stuff and his latest venture is a must.

greygoose

Guys

This enraged me when i watched the BBC's coverage of this years Hogan Final.

Post interview with the Captain Niall McParland, not one score or passage of play was shown by the network, but they did show "fireworks" being thrown onto the pitch and young lads getting pushed to the ground by garda officers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/8613662.stm 

Unbelievable and to be honest Austin O Callaghan should be ashamed of himself to report such a trivial matter that was mis handled by over zealous croke park officials making their mark that nobody was to enter the field after the game....

ONeill

Quote from: greygoose on April 27, 2010, 09:04:05 PM
Guys

This enraged me when i watched the BBC's coverage of this years Hogan Final.

Post interview with the Captain Niall McParland, not one score or passage of play was shown by the network, but they did show "fireworks" being thrown onto the pitch and young lads getting pushed to the ground by garda officers.

Unbelievable and to be honest Austin O Callaghan should be ashamed of himself to report such a trivial matter that was mis handled by over zealous croke park officials making their mark that nobody was to enter the field after the game....

Have you checked who had the rights to the match coverage?

The BBC showed regular (albeit v brief) coverage of the MacRory games on a Sat afternoon and the entire final live. I'm not sure of the answer here, but were the Munster, Connaught and Leinster finals shown live on RTE?

crossfire

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2010, 09:34:09 PM
Shocking misuse of new/knew before the edit.

This Board has been monitored for a long time by the BBC Sports dept, my own posts  where I have criticised BBC sports coverage have been quoted back to me by a BBC employee.
Typical Glenariff.

To be fair TYP, almost every media body of note would have someone somewhere on their payroll looking closely at this board, mostly for info. Sure the Antrim Chairman is an addict.

Main Street

"and attempts to manipulate voting to stop a GAA player winning the 2008 Sports Personality of the Year award."

What did the BBC do to attempt to manipulate the vote?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2010, 09:37:40 PM

This Board has been monitored for a long time by the BBC Sports dept, my own posts  where I have criticised BBC sports coverage have been quoted back to me by a BBC employee.
Typical Glenariff.

To be fair TYP, almost every media body of note would have someone somewhere on their payroll looking closely at this board, mostly for info. Sure the Antrim Chairman is an addict.

I don't believe it!!!!

its crazy to think that a sports journalist can't use the internet forums to check on information sure we speak the truth here ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

obviously I'll have to re tune my telly to the BBC that you guys are watching, i see the arseholes who presented fellas who don't drink with bottles of garage wine instead of motm trophies (left in the dressing room in clones) i listen to the bigots who spent two days butchering the gaa over a proddy fermanagh hurler (name?) who alledged sectarian abuse but went to the media instead of his own county board. but good old auntie beeb failed to mention that the problem was sorted and that infact the player was the guest of honour at an all irl hurling final and sat next to the president of the gaa at that match. the BBC that i get lets nelson mccausland slander the gaa and then slip off before anyone can confront him yet on the same programme (Nolan) Barry mcelduff is hung out to dry by the "IRA at play brigade" talking shite about sport on sunday etc etc...

heres an example, during the fermanagh hurler thing on talkback i text-ed and phoned the programme about 10 times to say that all the guy had to do was tell anyone on the county board even the fella who makes the tea. sectarian bigotry or abuse has no place in the gaa this would be dealt with swiftly, "oh i'll pass that on" was all i could get. meanwhile all the shiteheads were on "we should cut their (gaa) grants" etc... It was obvious there was a political agenda so i texted "my name is billy i play gaa sometimes i get called names but i dont mind" within seconds my phone rang "hello billy this is talkback would you like to talk about the names your being called" i said that i didnt care and that i loved gaa. she continued to press me you need to tell someone etc... then i told her that infact i sat on the county board and that i had caught her and the bbc trying to get people to bad mouth the assoc she immediately hung up. this is the bbc that i get for £120/annum >:( >:( ??? ???
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

sammymaguire

Jerome, if you are logged in and reading through the messages, good luck in winning your case
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2010, 09:46:36 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 27, 2010, 09:37:40 PM

Typical Glenariff.

I don't believe it!!!!

its crazy to think that a sports journalist can't use the internet forums to check on information sure we speak the truth here ;D ;D

Sorry, just to clear that up. A gaaboard addict.

In the Onion Bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kN15IZGeMg.  Love it, thats really good.

Best of luck to JQ with his case but can't avoid feeling he's on a hiding to nothing but he no doubt has calculated that the publicity will do his future with the GA faithful no harm at all. 

Have to agree with O'Neill that one positive maybe that the case will embarrass the BEEB's paltry and disproportionate GA coverage - only a little though mind.

Bye the way. Anyone know what was Jerome's original club?  I know he's from Omagh, was he 'Mr GAA' at St Enda's or did that come later?