Parking restrictions enforced around Croker

Started by Louth Exile, April 21, 2008, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Quote from: HalfFitHalfBack on April 23, 2008, 10:35:21 PM
Strange that this is being brought in time for the championship and after the rugby and soccer lads are done with Croke for a while.

Ireland play Serbia in Croker on May 24th.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Pangurban

Time to sell Croker and build a realistic Stadium out of the city, with proper parking facilities. It would be a huge wrench, but parking problems in the future will be multiplied and the situation will continue to deterioate, with a fall off in revenue as Fans opt out of the hassle.

Zapatista

Quote from: Zapatista on April 23, 2008, 09:02:21 AM
You can drive to the train station and take one, two or three (depending on where you are coming from) trains to Connolly Station and then take a train to Drumcondra saving you the need to take the car (costing you per person)...unless of course you are from Donegal, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan or Monaghan where you can do the same by bus. Parking would be no problem if you and your parents and young children would avail of these resourses.

Sorry folks but i was making a weak attempt at saying the public transport is very poor and expensive.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Pangurban on April 23, 2008, 11:55:17 PM
Time to sell Croker and build a realistic Stadium out of the city, with proper parking facilities. It would be a huge wrench, but parking problems in the future will be multiplied and the situation will continue to deterioate, with a fall off in revenue as Fans opt out of the hassle.

I can see that suggestion getting a lot of support!! How long are we on Jones road? 110 years? We were there first and the local economy needs our support. The parking exclusion is a wonderful success for a small bunch of small minded people!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Maguire01

Quote from: HalfFitHalfBack on April 23, 2008, 10:35:21 PM
Strange that this is being brought in time for the championship and after the rugby and soccer lads are done with Croke for a while.
Half fit? Half wit more like.  Seriously, such paranoia is ridiculous. Are they goung to lift the restrictions in time for the return of rugby and soccer?

Something needs to be done, fair enough.  But it makes no sense to impose restrictions without first having viable alternatives in place.  It's amazing to have an 80,000 seater stadium with no car parking facility.  What's the story with the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff?  This is another city-centre stadium - how have they tackled car parking?

moysider

Whatever about the historical significance of the place it s time to move on. Sell the place and build again somewhere in the middle of the country, say around Athlone with 00s of acres for carparking and coaches. Parking aside driving into the city is a nightmare anyway - and for a mid-week evening match not something I would want to repeat. A central location would be fairer to people travelling from everywhere. A shame so much was spent on the current site in recent years. fans owe the local economy nothing and I m sure the stadium would make good money. Time to move on.

Maguire01

Athlone?!  Get a grip.  ;D
At least you can access Dublin via decent roads/rail from most parts of the country.  Athlone would involve crappy regional roads for most people. 

Also, 14km difference between Letterkenny-Dublin and Letterkenny-Athlone (Athlone slightly closer), so it's not as if it's going to be far more accessible for those living in the futhest away areas.  Add that to the fact that from a population density perspective, i'd imagine Dublin is more central than Athlone.
Add this to the fact that you need all the other services (hotels etc) required for an 80,000 seater stadium, and i'm sure most places outside of the capital would fall well short.

Finally, in my opinion, if your county makes it far enough to play Croke Park, you don't realy mind a bit of inconvenience!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: moysider on April 27, 2008, 09:02:24 PM

Whatever about the historical significance of the place it s time to move on. Sell the place and build again somewhere in the middle of the country, say around Athlone with 00s of acres for carparking and coaches. Parking aside driving into the city is a nightmare anyway - and for a mid-week evening match not something I would want to repeat. A central location would be fairer to people travelling from everywhere. A shame so much was spent on the current site in recent years. fans owe the local economy nothing and I m sure the stadium would make good money. Time to move on.

Aye sure why not, we've sold everything else close to our hearts.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

moysider

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 27, 2008, 10:23:00 PM
Athlone?!  Get a grip.  ;D
At least you can access Dublin via decent roads/rail from most parts of the country.  Athlone would involve crappy regional roads for most people

Also, 14km difference between Letterkenny-Dublin and Letterkenny-Athlone (Athlone slightly closer), so it's not as if it's going to be far more accessible for those living in the futhest away areas.  Add that to the fact that from a population density perspective, i'd imagine Dublin is more central than Athlone.
Add this to the fact that you need all the other services (hotels etc) required for an 80,000 seater stadium, and i'm sure most places outside of the capital would fall well short.
Finally, in my opinion, if your county makes it far enough to play Croke Park, you don't realy mind a bit of inconvenience!

Not sure where your from Maguire 01 but a lot of football fans have to drive crappy regional roads before we get to Athlone or Longford and then drive to Dublin and when we reach say  Lucan  it ll be another hour befare parking. It can easily be a 12 hour trip or more. Get a grip ???

Difference distance from Donegal vis a vis Dublin/Athlone. Its not just the distance. the whole point of this debate is the parking/ public transport deficiencies in the city. They add at least 2 hours to the trip. Rail links not an option from most rural areas.

What services? Most people f**k back home after match if they re driving - and most do - and drown sorrows or celebrate in their own place. The most reason some people make an overnight of it in hotels is because the trip is such a nusiance.

Inconvenience? So Kerry and Cork fans dont mind travelling to Croke park for semi finals? The reason they dont travel is because they have more experience than most of getting there - from distance. They dont go - cause it s too much hassle. I wonder how many of Dublins championship fans would appear at a match if it involved a 12 hour day rather than a 10 minute saunter from the pub?

What the f**k has population density got to do with it. Not like many of the million people in the place are into the games.  Croke park is on the east coast of an Island. Geographically that can never be more central than Athlone. Get a grip.

moysider

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 27, 2008, 10:56:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 27, 2008, 09:02:24 PM

Aye sure why not, we've sold everything else close to our hearts.

Exactly. I know your being sarcastic but why not. And what exactly have we sold close to our hearts? The place means a lot to me too. I ve had some great as well as painful days there. But things change and traffic and parking in the place is only going to get worse. If we as Gaelic football people are not appreciated locally into the bargain you do the obvious and  get the f**k out. A change of location would in now way damage the memory of the great and good thatv did their stuff down there the years. How many club grounds have been sold in order to provide better facilities? Nothing stays the same.

Louth Exile

Moysider, do be fair you may have some relevant points, but Croker is not going to be sold and we all know that.
The problem now is that after people have driven for 12 hours to get there, they will end up parking over 3 miles away from the stadium and will have to walk the guts of an hour just to get to the steps!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

thewingedlady

Just got a letter through the door there yesterday with a map showing the proposed parking restrictions. Doesn't look too bad tbh unless you've very young/old people in your party.

Basically the borderline runs the whole way along Griffith Ave right over to the Malahide Rd then down into Fairview and then the whole way into town through North Strand Road leading into Amien street. Then it gets tricky, it cuts off at Talbot Street and up Gardiner street, takes a left at parnell street and then up frederick street. It then heads back outta town cutting across dorset street and onto the north circular road. From there it goes right into phibsborough all the way up through botanic and Mobhi Road and back to Griffith Avenue again.

Note The streets mentioned are boundaries and you can park on these streets, but no closer. So you can park on Griffith Ave, Amien St, etc, but no closer to Croker than them.

What do ye think? I live at the very north end of Marino myself and I know that the dander in is maybe a mile but no more.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: thewingedlady on May 06, 2008, 03:48:31 PM
What do ye think?
It will probably just push the parking problems elsewhere.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 06, 2008, 03:53:38 PM
What do ye think?
It will probably just push the parking problems elsewhere.
I agree, I thought my usual parking spot was within the boundaries, it is just outside them, so I can see problems

donelli

Just got a letter through the door there yesterday with a map showing the proposed parking restrictions. Doesn't look too bad tbh unless you've very young/old people in your party.

Basically the borderline runs the whole way along Griffith Ave right over to the Malahide Rd then down into Fairview and then the whole way into town through North Strand Road leading into Amien street. Then it gets tricky, it cuts off at Talbot Street and up Gardiner street, takes a left at parnell street and then up frederick street. It then heads back outta town cutting across dorset street and onto the north circular road. From there it goes right into phibsborough all the way up through botanic and Mobhi Road and back to Griffith Avenue again.

Note The streets mentioned are boundaries and you can park on these streets, but no closer. So you can park on Griffith Ave, Amien St, etc, but no closer to Croker than them.

What do ye think? I live at the very north end of Marino myself and I know that the dander in is maybe a mile but no more.

any chance you could scan that map onto this website???
by your descriptions, my normal parking specs are now in the no-go area...can see these restrictions causing huge hassle to fans