Chinese
Italian
Indian
French
Other

Leo

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 18, 2008, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 18, 2008, 08:22:04 PM
In an Italian restaurant this evening for, I have to admit, only the second time in my life but by God can they do a feed!

Is that the one along the Mall in Newry? If so, I have to say I don't think it is any great shakes.

You're talking about the only decent place in Newry for a meal - freshly cooked,, friendly crew, good ambience.
Alternatives in the twon (sorry, city)? Deep fried frozen food in practically every other establishment.
Everyone serving panninis or fajitas that taste nothing like the real deal.
Inflated menu and inflated prices in Canal Court which caters for the "big feed" pile it high brigade rather than quality.
And all those carveries where every joint of food tastes the same.
In the competition for WORST grub on this island Newry is up there.
Fierce tame altogether

Uladh

Na don't like the italian on the mall. Newry is poor for grub all right but the canal court and brass monkey are my two favourites.

Yes I Would

Have to agree lads, Newry crying out for a good eating house.
For all its failings, find Dundalk much better. Lisdoo, Windsor and of course the Roma!!!

Hardy

I'm fond of the Italian myself, especially the very simplest of fresh food done the Italian way. I love their enthusiasm for simple food, in contrast to the preciousness of the French with their faffing around trying to make the simple complicated.

But then I know two people who have recently visited Italy and won't be going back because they didn't like the food! "Couldn't get a decent steak".   ::)

lynchbhoy

no option to select 'the wife'

my missus is a fantastic cook - makes pasta carbonara better than most italian restaurants - inlcuding a few in italy I have tried ( I use this dish as a test to see how good an italian restaurant actually is - it is hard to get perfect, can easily go slightly wrong and whil ei will still taste ok, is nothing like a perfect carbonara blended sauce).

also makes a good thai green curry, and many more.

Last night she made a Indian 'tikka masala'. Fantastic.

No wonder I am a fat chunt.

downredblack

Get round yer Ma's on a Friday and get a feed of Ray and Champ and a pint of milk . Hard to bate it .

stew

I voted for me mammys cooking as well, she however is limited to traditional fare and the thought of eating italian to her is repulsive. If it is spuds, cabage and ham you want she is the womna, or spuds, turnip with galtee bacon and buter, salt and pepper and hp sauce,hmmm.
Her roast chicken dinners are second to none, as are the raost beef dinners and roast pork etc, for desert her apple tart is the best you will ever have, slathered in custard and I always get the skin of the custard, I love that stuff.

I used to own a restaurant that served italian food and to this day I love to cook, spaghetti bolognaise is a speciality of mine however i add spices and herbs for an extra kick.

If I was down to my last meal it would have to be spuds, turnip and galtee bacon, salt, pepper and butter with HP sauce and the apple tart and custard for desert washed down with a pint of creamy, cold milk. Hmmmm
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

I'm a big fan of thai food, and I've become addicted to Sushi recently.

Word of warning, don't trust an indian restaurant that serves beef, its also a great place to experiment with vegetarian dishes, some of the traditional spinach dishes are fantastic
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Italian food is safe. Its always decent. Personally I find it a bit bland - I like a good bit of kick.

DH be careful with that sushi addiction - it can get expensive - except in Reno where we can have all you can eat sushi buffet for 20$.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Mammy does great salads and soups, love her french toast as well, but Daddy is the man for food, does the best beef wellington in the world as well as everything else. Gravy to die for.
Tbc....

harlechman

Chicken Karahi from Bombay Pantry in Dublin, its unreal

full back

Italian is Newry is just average was disappointed in the food itself never mind the service  >:( Bit bland
Canal Court is hard to beat for a bit of beef

Chrisowc

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 18, 2008, 09:09:48 PM
What would yous recomend to get in an Indian?
I like chicken, I don't like anything too spicy or hot.

Something like Chicken Korma or Tikka Massala.  If you go to a good Indian they will help you.

As someone has already said, Spice in Lisburn is one of the best around.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hardy on April 19, 2008, 12:04:20 PM
I'm fond of the Italian myself, especially the very simplest of fresh food done the Italian way. I love their enthusiasm for simple food, in contrast to the preciousness of the French with their faffing around trying to make the simple complicated.

But then I know two people who have recently visited Italy and won't be going back because they didn't like the food! "Couldn't get a decent steak".   ::)

I'd be the same as those lads probably. Although I like the Italian food, but any Oriental spices...yuck!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

I'm not a great fan of the hot Indian or Mexican stuff myself. I much prefer to taste the food than  tongue-burning spices that you don't so much taste as undergo. I might be wrong, but I've always understood those hot Mexican and Indian dishes were invented specifically to prevent you tasting the food itself, which was more likely to be rancid than it would be in a cooler climate.