Lifting floor tiles.

Started by downredblack, April 18, 2008, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Lads , The Mrs. wants to change the tiles on the kitchen floor , so yours truely will have to lift the old ones . Any of you tackled this before ? What would I need , lump hammer and chisel or baby Kango ? Any advise would be much appreciated .

Donagh

Quote from: downredblack on April 18, 2008, 05:47:31 PM
Lads , The Mrs. wants to change the tiles on the kitchen floor , so yours truely will have to lift the old ones . Any of you tackled this before ? What would I need , lump hammer and chisel or baby Kango ? Any advise would be much appreciated .

A good sturdy Lurgan spade.

An Gaeilgoir

A baby kango and a wide head chisel bit...no bother. Loads of dust and noise though.

An Gaeilgoir

Donagh

Ach for feck sake lads are yiz men or weemen? A good spade is all you need. Once you get the first one up just prise her under the others and give a good shove. You'll have them all up in fifteen minutes.

Pangurban

The Spade is the only tool for this job, listen to your big brother Donagh. Have tried different methods but always reverted too Spade

mannix

J70

If they're vinyl tiles you might have an asbestos issue.

Donagh

If they're vinyl, use a wallpaper steamer and a good sturdy Lurgan spade. Watch your fingers, cause it'll burn like feck.

Donagh

Lurgan spades for sale. PM for a quote  ;)

downredblack

Thks for the advice lads . Might try Donagh's spade first and see how I get on (tight hoor ) and if not it will be a trip to the hire shop .
Is a Dublin spade the same as a Lurgan spade  ;D

downredblack

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2008, 04:28:26 PM
I agree. A spade will do the trick. Hit the wife over the head with it. Dig a houle in the back garden. Stick her in it.
Leave the kitchen floor as it is.

Very good Hardstation  ;D  :D the kitchen floor is rightly but you know women  ::)

Donagh

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 19, 2008, 03:22:50 PM
But with spades, the Lurgan spade has a much longer blade leading to the saying about someone who was miserable or depressed, e.g. "Pints had a face like a Lurgan spade".  The Lurgan spade was actually a turf cutting spade with a cutting rim down one side to form the turf block which would make it unsuitable for lifting tiles!

Very good TYP  :D You know your stuff alright. You'd get on well with the womans oul fella. He's got a collection of the things hanging round the sides of his workshop.  ;D

Fishbat

great idea lads - grab a Lurgan Spide and bate the tiles off with his head

Hardy

You could try the Brendan Behan approach. Give an anonymous tip-off to the cops that there are guns or bomb-making equipment buried under your kitchen floor and they'll be out in no time to take up your tiles.