Dublin Vs Meath

Started by Jinxy, April 13, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Stupid thing for both counties to lose players and money over.

Hardy

As I said before, I have no problem with tough sanctions. But if there's another all-in at any match this Summer and the same punishments are not applied, because it doesn't make the news, then we know where we stand with this GAA administration and its continual knee-bending to external pressure, be it from the Joe Duffy front or the GPA.

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2008, 08:46:53 AM
As I said before, I have no problem with tough sanctions. But if there's another all-in at any match this Summer and the same punishments are not applied, because it doesn't make the news, then we know where we stand with this GAA administration and its continual knee-bending to external pressure, be it from the Joe Duffy front or the GPA.

Although we might have had different views on Dublin I totally agree with you here - Joe Duffy and Ray Darcy and Nicky Brennan I believe encouraged these suspensions and fines - I can't see similar action being taken against a team in July or August.

liihb

Dublin's Ciaran Whelan has revealed that he won't be appealing the eight-week suspension handed down to him in the wake of Sunday's Parnell Park brawl.

Suspensions ranging from between four and eight weeks have been proposed for 16 players from Dublin and Meath, but Whelan confirmed on Tuesday that he won't be taking up the option of challenging the Central Competitions Control Committee's ruling.

The veteran midfielder was one of 29 players involved in the early mass brawl, and was issued with a straight red card minutes later for lashing out at Meath half back Seamus Kenny.

His decision not to appeal his sentence means he will now miss Saturday's NFL Division 2 final against Westmeath and the Leinster championship quarter-final against Louth on June 8.

"I fully accept that my actions in retaliating to a Meath player on Sunday were unacceptable and I fully accept and deal with the consequences," he said.

"Sunday's game was a tense affair and, in the heat of battle, players can sometimes see the red mist and take irrational actions which are regrettable," the Raheny clubman added.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Jinxy

Get it up on youtube! I'd love to see it again, even though we all obviously abhor such terrible violence.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Ah lads, will ye think of the children!

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2008, 02:08:39 PM
Ah lads, will ye think of the children!

The children would love to see it !

Jinxy

Better to desensitise them now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jell 0 Biafra

As I said before, I have no problem with tough sanctions. But if there's another all-in at any match this Summer and the same punishments are not applied,

The acid test would be a similar brawl in an all-Ireland semi-final.  Not sure I could see the GAA banning 8 or so players for the final...

orangeman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 23, 2008, 03:57:17 PM
As I said before, I have no problem with tough sanctions. But if there's another all-in at any match this Summer and the same punishments are not applied,

The acid test would be a similar brawl in an all-Ireland semi-final.  Not sure I could see the GAA banning 8 or so players for the final...

There's absolutely NO WAY this would happen  - but who says Dublin will get that far this year ???  ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D

heffo

Sure there was one on Sunday in Crossmaglen - I haven't heard the long list of suspensions arising out of that one yet

Hardy

Sure I know. What happens if somebody take a case to the DRA about selective application of the rules?

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2008, 05:03:55 PM
Sure I know. What happens if somebody take a case to the DRA about selective application of the rules?

If Dublin or Meath were to do that then they'd be savaged in the press for not 'accepting their medicine'..

his holiness nb

Quote from: heffo on April 23, 2008, 04:58:04 PM
Sure there was one on Sunday in Crossmaglen - I haven't heard the long list of suspensions arising out of that one yet

Funny this was mentioned a day or so ago and nobody said a word about it.
Surely there was someone reading this thread who was at the game and can clarify?

There was plenty of ye at the Dubs game, or do ye only go to the free games  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on April 23, 2008, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2008, 05:03:55 PM

If Dublin or Meath were to do that then they'd be savaged in the press for not 'accepting their medicine'..

Tyrone do it all the time, so why not Dublin ?  ;) :D