The Masters

Started by Mickey Linden, April 08, 2008, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Well folks whats your thoughts on the masters this year? Tiger Woods is the obvious candidate but at 11/10 he is virtually unbackable(for the average punter)! Anyone fancy any of the outsiders to do well?

The Watcher Pat

After starting the thread on Golf clubs yesterday Mickey. Are you thinking of getting some practice in and entering the masters next year?

A legend like you could turn your hand to anything ;)
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

behind the wire

jose maria olazabal. always a good each way bet in the masters. former winner. usually around 33/1
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

From the Bunker

Mayo to do three in a row. Although some of their squad are getting over the hill!  ;D

Tony Baloney

I wouldn't put my money anywhere near Olazabal this year as last I heard was he is recovering from a bad bout of rheumatoid arthur-itis.

Uladh

The MAsters is a bugger to predict as its so early in the season. the form isn't fully laid out yet and outsiders are impossible to pick. that said, the usual suspects tend to be strong in the masters and there've been very few surprise masters winners in recent times.

For what it's worth i feel Tiger will win this and the pga this year, going on the course set ups.

Sergio and KJ Choi will be the each ways on my docket.

By the way, i hope someone has told Harry not to win the par 3 tournament tomorrow!

Rossie11

Really looking forward to this.
Tiger is the rightly favorite but a shade above evens is crazy price for a man who has only won 1 of last 5 Masters.
(and once in top 5 other than that)

Lots in with a big chance, the usual suspects like Els and Vj are capable of big weeks.Geoff Ogilvy showing great form.
Donald & Rose had big chances last year but blew it.
Its a one off event so I prefer to go with guys who always play well in Augusta.

The value for me is Goosen.. Top 3 last 3 years. Couldnt see last year!! Eye surgery and looks back approaching his best.
28/1 (20/1 w/o tiger) looks great value
Freddie Couples 23 Masters & never missed the cut. Former winner. Numerous times in top 10. Playing well and 100/1 is massive
Harrington has earmarked this for 2008. 25/1 is a fair price for a guy who now has weight off his shoulders with 1 major in the bag.
Bruce betting paying 1/4 odds 1st 7..nice

corn02

Tiiger shoudl pevail, providing his driving is anyway consistent, but it does tend to be a bit wild sometimes and can be punished on such a course.

Best E/W bet - Jim Fuyrk - One of the steadiest drivers on the tour, he will finish high up leaderboard.

girt_giggler

I have small each - way stakes on the following players, just for interest.

Ogilvy - 20/1

Harrington - 25/1

Furyk - 40/1

Stenson - 50/1

Z Johnson - 66/1

Westwood - 66/1

P Casey - 80/1

Verplank - 125/1

Rossie11

Someone looking for big outsider could have a look at Jerry Kelly.
5th last year top 20 twice. going ok this year
200/1
Zach won @ same price last year!!!

mackers

I think Rossie has it. Not a gambling man at all but I fancy Goosen strongly as an each way bet for the reasons Rossie listed. Watched him play the last few tournaments in the States and he was showing signs of form. Great on very fast greens.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

thewobbler

He might be the greatest player ever, but 4/6 the field surely has to be some bet.

the Deel Rover

i have never bet on a golf tounament before but i wiill this week seems a good way of keeping an interest in it that is if your bet makes the cut , probably take Rossies advice and put a few squid on Goosen and probably Kelly for an outside bet
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

corn02

Stay way from the Goose and get on Jim 'steady' Fuyrk.

full back

A few outsiders

Johnston Wagner
A Romero
Mike Weir

Hope they make the cut so I get a run for my money...........