GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

well maguire you make a case for unionist not being Irish. Then tell  how Irish culture is not equally unionist culture??? I await your reply.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

SammyG

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 21, 2008, 08:51:58 PM
sammy would i be right in saying that you are of the opinion that the GAA deliberately name grounds and other things after "sectarian killers" in order to put unionists off joining the GAA??

Or would you be saying that the GAA are not doing enough to stop these names being used and therefore as a result unionists re being isolated or in many circumsatnces unwanted?

or perhaps you are saying neither . clarify is please.
Both. The GAA, on the ground, are clearly making extreme Republican political statements and the GAA as an organisation are refusing to stop them and in many cases actually encouraging them by turning up at ground openings etc.

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 21, 2008, 08:51:58 PM
Plus i am not buying into your spake about there being no scottish nationality , that is laughable.
If you can show me a Scottish passport then I'll believe you.

Zapatista

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 07:20:04 AM

That is merely a technacallity and a very weak arguement for Nationality. It's almost like saying if you are white you can not be a South Afican National.

SammyG

Quote from: Zapatista on April 22, 2008, 08:18:44 AM

That is merely a technacallity and a very weak arguement for Nationality. It's almost like saying if you are white you can not be a South Afican National.

I have absolutely no idea what that means. What have white (or black or any other colour) South Africans got to do with Scotland?

I am simply stating the fact that you can not be a Scottish national or a Welsh national or an English National or a Northern Irish national as none of those exist. I'm not saying that people don't feel Scottish or have allegiance to Scotland or describe themselves as Scottish or whatever, I'm just talking about nationality.

Zapatista

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 08:23:19 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on April 22, 2008, 08:18:44 AM

I have absolutely no idea what that means. What have white (or black or any other colour) South Africans got to do with Scotland?

I am simply stating the fact that you can not be a Scottish national or a Welsh national or an English National or a Northern Irish national as none of those exist. I'm not saying that people don't feel Scottish or have allegiance to Scotland or describe themselves as Scottish or whatever, I'm just talking about nationality.

If we introduce an EU wide passport as we did with the currency will that mean I am no longer an Irish person?

SammyG

Quote from: Zapatista on April 22, 2008, 08:25:04 AM
If we introduce an EU wide passport as we did with the currency will that mean I am no longer an Irish person?
No it would mean you were no longer an Irish citizen, you'd be a European Citizen but you'd still be an Irish person.

orangeman

That's enough shite about passports and such like - back to the main thread - unionists don't accept the GAA and see it as a way of beatng nationalisits into shape by taking away from them their identity.

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on April 22, 2008, 09:15:53 AM
That's enough shite about passports and such like - back to the main thread - unionists don't accept the GAA and see it as a way of beatng nationalisits into shape by taking away from them their identity.

As seen with the language. It's called colonialism.

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on April 22, 2008, 09:44:19 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 22, 2008, 09:15:53 AM

As seen with the language. It's called colonialism.

;D :D :D ;D :o :o :o

lynchbhoy

Quotethe only ones that get 'remembered' are sectarian murderers.

just tell me sammy which grounds are named after "sectarian killers" ?
evidence please- or are you peddling your lies again!

I presume you are all ok when we name our grounds/stands after fellas who were murdered (like the hogan stand) ::)

orangeman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2008, 09:52:44 AM

I presume you are all ok when we name our grounds/stands after fellas who were murdered (like the hogan stand) ::)

Lynchboy - just ignore him - unionist bigotry is alive and well !

SammyG

See the list in my previous post.
I've always said that I'd prefer all political stuff to be removed but accept that commemorating stuff that happened before any of us were born, is different to commemorating current events.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on April 22, 2008, 09:55:55 AM

no I want to see him squirm out of this one (which he cant)

he has mouthed of yet another lie, and usually we let it pass, but this time I felt like calling his bluff....

but apart from that, you are right and unionist bigotry is alive and well ...its just living proof of why its pointless the GAA attempting to 'reach out' as unionist goalposts are on well greased wheels.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2008, 10:12:34 AM

See the list in my previous post.

no please point them out as there are none named in any of the 'list ' previously provided

orangeman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2008, 10:13:10 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 22, 2008, 09:55:55 AM

no I want to see him squirm out of this one (which he cant)

he has mouthed of yet another lie, and usually we let it pass, but this time I felt like calling his bluff....

but apart from that, you are right and unionist bigotry is alive and well ...its just living proof of why its pointless the GAA attempting to 'reach out' as unionist goalposts are on well greased wheels.

Go for it Lynchboy - I'm fed up reading his sly comments !