GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

And maybe you meant currently, in certain areas. I have no idea, but I know trophies are named after young lads who die early down here, ex-chairmen get fields named after them etc. etc.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 04:05:46 PM
And maybe you meant currently, in certain areas. I have no idea, but I know trophies are named after young lads who die early down here, ex-chairmen get fields named after them etc. etc.

...and pitches named after priests - would that cause problems for them too I wonder...

AZOffaly

And the Cormac McAnallen Cup. Brutal stuff altogether.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 04:10:08 PM
And the Cormac McAnallen Cup. Brutal stuff altogether.

Tut tut !!!!!!!   :( :( :(

AZOffaly

I'm being sarcastic Orangeman. Obviously Cormac McAnallen is commemorated for his impact as a person and a player on the GAA, and because he was taken from us so early. It's an example of someone who is clearly not a 'sectarian murderer'.

orangeman

I know I know - I was being sarcastic !!    ;)

SammyG

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 04:19:35 PM
I'm being sarcastic Orangeman. Obviously Cormac McAnallen is commemorated for his impact as a person and a player on the GAA, and because he was taken from us so early. It's an example of someone who is clearly not a 'sectarian murderer'.

I would have no problem with my kids playing for a Cormac McAnallen Trophy but I would have a major problem with them playing for the Gerard and Martin Harte Cup, or at the Kevin Lynch Ground, or in the Bobby Sands Memorial tournament, or the Cumann na Fuiseoige team. All of these have been launched/competed for in the last few years and have been endorsed by visits from GAA officials.

AZOffaly

What I am saying Sammy, without getting into what you consider or don't consider certain people to be, is that there are many other examples of grounds, cups and other items named after people who have no connection with, or association with, what you are getting at. That's why I took exception to this comment.

Quotethe only ones that get 'remembered' are sectarian murderers.

orangeman

Quote from: SammyG on April 21, 2008, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 04:19:35 PM

I would have no problem with my kids playing for a Cormac McAnallen Trophy but I would have a major problem with them playing for the Gerard and Martin Harte Cup, or at the Kevin Lynch Ground, or in the Bobby Sands Memorial tournament, or the Cumann na Fuiseoige team. All of these have been launched/competed for in the last few years and have been endorsed by visits from GAA officials.

So is that why you want us to go to Windsor Park where another GAA man ( Neil Lennon ) got hounded out if it ! I love your consistent approach Sammy !  ;) :D ;D

SammyG

Quote from: orangeman on April 21, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
So is that why you want us to go to Windsor Park where another GAA man ( Neil Lennon ) got hounded out if it ! I love your consistent approach Sammy !  ;) :D ;D
WTF are you on about? Is that the same Windsor Park that is used as a practice ground by a local Camogie team or a different one? Also which bit of Windsor Park is named after a sectarian murderer?

SammyG

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 05:45:27 PM
What I am saying Sammy, without getting into what you consider or don't consider certain people to be, is that there are many other examples of grounds, cups and other items named after people who have no connection with, or association with, what you are getting at. That's why I took exception to this comment.

Quotethe only ones that get 'remembered' are sectarian murderers.
I know what you're saying and accept it, which is why I apologsed earlier but there are still a lot of bad (for want of a better word) examples.

AZOffaly

Well, you said 'older' names were generally ok, but the modern one were what you are talking about. That's why I mentioned the cups and grounds that are named in modern times. But I know what you are getting at. I just couldn't let that go unchallenged.

winsamsoon

Good humour hardstation  :D :D. So
sammy would i be right in saying that you are of the opinion that the GAA deliberately name grounds and other things after "sectarian killers" in order to put unionists off joining the GAA??

Or would you be saying that the GAA are not doing enough to stop these names being used and therefore as a result unionists re being isolated or in many circumsatnces unwanted?

or perhaps you are saying neither . clarify is please.

Plus i am not buying into your spake about there being no scottish nationality , that is laughable.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

gaagaa

we have started to reach out - theyre call grant applications ;D ;D ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 21, 2008, 02:12:59 PM
For some silly reason unionists don't see themselves as Irish and prefer to be called British. I don't get the reasoning behind this.

Seriously? You don't understand? Do you live in this country at all?!  :P