GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 02, 2008, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 02, 2008, 06:59:39 PM
I notice other nationalities on the island are not nit-picking, they are just getting on with playing the games
Yes, because the political issues in question mean the exact same to them as they do to northern protestants..... oh wait.  ::)
As I said, if they are nit-picking over nationality issues, they probably wouldn't play the sport... oh wait  ::)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Fishbat

Its all a moot arguement anyway - anyone who thinks that by tinkering with the seams of the GAA  (risking alienating people by changing club names etc...) that there will be some kind of wholescale shift in Unionism over to the GAA is living a dream - there might be a few thousand brave souls .....but thats it

As someone else said above - whats all this palaver about anyway?, we can all live together in peace, but don't have to play the same sports.

Its almost as if there are hundreds of thousands of unionists just waiting for the right circumstances to join up, champing at the bit to get tore into the Dubs and their cohorts in Meath.........there isn't, and fair enough

Zulu

QuoteIts all a moot arguement anyway - anyone who thinks that by tinkering with the seams of the GAA  (risking alienating people by changing club names etc...) that there will be some kind of wholescale shift in Unionism over to the GAA is living a dream - there might be a few thousand brave souls .....but thats it

As someone else said above - whats all this palaver about anyway?, we can all live together in peace, but don't have to play the same sports.

Its almost as if there are hundreds of thousands of unionists just waiting for the right circumstances to join up, champing at the bit to get tore into the Dubs and their cohorts in Meath.........there isn't, and fair enough

That may be true enough but we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and accept almost 1/5 of the people of this island paddling their own sporting canoe. Soccer is as widely played by Nationalists as it is by Unionists and rugby is expanding out of its traditional bases. We too must always be willing to look at how we can attract people from outside our traditional bases. While I do see the GAA as more than a sporting organisation I'm not sure making some of the changes that Unionists want will dilute its cultural significance.

Fishbat

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2008, 09:57:00 PM
QuoteIts all a moot arguement anyway - anyone who thinks that by tinkering with the seams of the GAA  (risking alienating people by changing club names etc...) that there will be some kind of wholescale shift in Unionism over to the GAA is living a dream - there might be a few thousand brave souls .....but thats it

That may be true enough but we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and accept almost 1/5 of the people of this island paddling their own sporting canoe. Soccer is as widely played by Nationalists as it is by Unionists and rugby is expanding out of its traditional bases. We too must always be willing to look at how we can attract people from outside our traditional bases. While I do see the GAA as more than a sporting organisation I'm not sure making some of the changes that Unionists want will dilute its cultural significance.

Why not? its reality, same as aussie rules is big in only certain areas of OZ and it seems to do quite well alongside rugby and cricket

No big issue really - if folk don't like GAA games - thats it, nothing you can do about it - waste of time

tyrone86

This will have no effect at the moment because, despite the fact we've eventually got a working Assembly in the North, a lot of Unionists don't accept our Irishness and Nationalism as their equal. I guarantee, if we asked Unionism to tell us what the impediments are that will allow them to partake in our Association I have no doubt they'll tell us. But experience also tells us that, even if we implemented the change as they wanted it fully they'll keep changing the goalposts for the next 20 years - it took the guts of 25 years from Sunningdale to the GFA and subsequently another 10 years to get the damn Assembly working in a format that is acceptable to most of the 6 counties. I have no problem tiding any controversial language up and making it more politically correct, but a revolution won't lead to solving the problem overnight, gradual evolution - the trickle effect if you will - is the only way to go if you want to keep your base happy as well as attracting more unionists in. I'll be honest, I'd rather have the apathy most Unionists hold us in now than the hostility they had for us 20 years ago. Who's to say what the situation will be in another 20 years?

ziggysego

Maybe it's because it's late at night and I can't sleep, but is anyone else suspicious about the timing of this piece? I mean a few days after the soccer semi-final in Belfast and the following attack by suspected Linfield supporters.
Testing Accessibility

believebelive

Quote from: ziggysego on April 03, 2008, 03:06:24 AM
Maybe it's because it's late at night and I can't sleep, but is anyone else suspicious about the timing of this piece? I mean a few days after the soccer semi-final in Belfast and the following attack by suspected Linfield supporters.

well considering the original article was out on Monday morning in magazine form I wud doubt there is anything suspicious going on

thejuice

I know a few lads from places like Comber, who would be interested in Gaelic games to a point, but I know they are a bit uncomfortable with it at the same time. I don't think they're comfortable enough to go to watch games yet.

They maybe from the Unionist community and are big NI fans and all, but they are not die-hard Unionists. Sure they may not be in favour of a united Ireland, but they like sport, I consider them good friends too. Its these kind of people we can attract to the games, by just removing the "32 county identity" stuff.

Since most people in the South and in Nationalist  areas up North aren't even aware of these parts of the rule book and at the moment its only function is turning unionists away, then why is it there.

Also alot of this stuff makes no sense outside of Ireland. Its too inward thinking. The GAA in Britain, USA and else where needs to establish itself in those native to these countries and a rulebook thats all concerned with Irish nationalism may have a point in Ireland but useless elsewhere.

can someone also explain to me, if you really love Gaelic games why would you walk away from it, just because they changed the Nationalist lines in the rule book, is it just because of the nationalist ideal that keeps some people involved??
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

winsamsoon

Firtsly Gnevein i am not against change in any form as you have stated. However i think in order for change to occur there must be certain factors. These would include demand for the sport, proper negotiations and a Compromise between all parties involved. The problem i have with this is all the negotiations are one way as is the compromise. Both Nationalsim and Unionism are almost at the complete opposites of the poltical scale so finding common ground is going to be different. The GAA, a nationalsitic organisation cannot remove nationalsitics themes from it's rule book or in general because this would be a complete contradiction of terms. The Nationalistic themes were never included to cause offense and this still remains the case.

Secondly Maguire i can actually think of several protestant members of my GAA club and i can say without a shadow of a doubt they have never experienced any form of sectarianism and they feel as much apart of the club as anyone else.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

ziggysego

Quote from: believebelive on April 03, 2008, 04:06:59 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 03, 2008, 03:06:24 AM

well considering the original article was out on Monday morning in magazine form I wud doubt there is anything suspicious going on

Prehaps not, but maybe that's why the BBC took the story and ran with it.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 03, 2008, 10:43:19 AM
Firtsly Gnevein i am not against change in any form as you have stated. However i think in order for change to occur there must be certain factors. These would include demand for the sport, proper negotiations and a Compromise between all parties involved. The problem i have with this is all the negotiations are one way as is the compromise. Both Nationalsim and Unionism are almost at the complete opposites of the poltical scale so finding common ground is going to be different. The GAA, a nationalsitic organisation cannot remove nationalsitics themes from it's rule book or in general because this would be a complete contradiction of terms. The Nationalistic themes were never included to cause offense and this still remains the case.

Secondly Maguire i can actually think of several protestant members of my GAA club and i can say without a shadow of a doubt they have never experienced any form of sectarianism and they feel as much apart of the club as anyone else.
So remove the political and find common ground on via sport
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

winsamsoon

Gnevin in an ideal world it would be great to say that politcs can be removed from sport but it simply isn't possible. Whether we like it or not ( and i don't) the political climate does effect the sporting arena. This happens on a world wide basis. Described as war without the guns in some circumstances. Unionists and Nationalists have a poltical mindset that will have an influence on absolutely everything they partake in. The GAA will be no different when it comes to this.

Ziggy i wasn't sure what you were talking about there until your second post and you could have a point. Maybe this story was used to sort of sweep under the carpet the violence at the Irish Leagues games.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

lynchbhoy

as for the psni GAA team - and what league do they play in,how often do they train...so they are actually an annual 'play' rather than a live club.
Its just for show. bad example - next...

If the GAA was that bad - would protestant people like Darren Graham play Gaelic games in the first place.
No the problem is not really with the GAA, it is with the head in the sand mindset of unionism.
Maybe some tweaks could be made, but not until the important issues have been dealt with (policing problems)
and wholesale integration has occurred as unionsts at last engage with nationalists and the road to unification.
Then it would be time to look at the sporting issues and this one of trying to appeal to the cross
border cross denominational population. Its pointless before then.

GNevin - both sides are as bad as each other ? (thats a load of mis-informed ignorant bollix)
What have YOU done or are doing that stops a unionist or his kids from playing gaelic games?

I would agree with the others that said that this is not political. Unionists want to make it political
so they can observe the right to feel affronted by it.
Time will change it, the mindsets will ease.
two decades ago unionsts/loyalists wouldnt cross the border.
a decade ago unionists/loyalists wouldnt work south of the border or wouldnt buy/sell good with mexicans (apart from the hypocritical paisley and co)
five years ago unionists/loyalists wouldnt set foot in croke park for any reasons

in all that time, what have the southern people done to change 'their' ways to allow the unionist/loyalists to soften their position ?
the answer is nothing, the problem is in the never never never mindset and once this idiotic starched hatred and opinion is jettisoned, the entire island will benefit.
Northern nationalists have integrated into jobs (PSNI, Gov), communities (waterside Derry) , schools (numerous) and sports (rugby).
It will take time for the unionists/loyalists to allow themselves come down from the high horse - as they already know that nationalists et all are more than willing to integrate with them and liase with them in the communities and country.

Gnevin

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 03, 2008, 11:43:32 AM
Gnevin in an ideal world it would be great to say that politcs can be removed from sport but it simply isn't possible. Whether we like it or not ( and i don't) the political climate does effect the sporting arena. This happens on a world wide basis. Described as war without the guns in some circumstances. Unionists and Nationalists have a poltical mindset that will have an influence on absolutely everything they partake in. The GAA will be no different when it comes to this.

Ziggy i wasn't sure what you were talking about there until your second post and you could have a point. Maybe this story was used to sort of sweep under the carpet the violence at the Irish Leagues games.
It's very possible. Remove the flag and Anthem ,changing the wording of the aims and you 75% of the way their
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 03, 2008, 12:15:09 PM
as for the psni GAA team - and what league do they play in,how often do they train...so they are actually an annual 'play' rather than a live club.
Its just for show. bad example - next...

If the GAA was that bad - would protestant people like Darren Graham play Gaelic games in the first place.
No the problem is not really with the GAA, it is with the head in the sand mindset of unionism.
Maybe some tweaks could be made, but not until the important issues have been dealt with (policing problems)
and wholesale integration has occurred as unionsts at last engage with nationalists and the road to unification.
Then it would be time to look at the sporting issues and this one of trying to appeal to the cross
border cross denominational population. Its pointless before then.

GNevin - both sides are as bad as each other ? (thats a load of mis-informed ignorant bollix)
What have YOU done or are doing that stops a unionist or his kids from playing gaelic games?

I would agree with the others that said that this is not political. Unionists want to make it political
so they can observe the right to feel affronted by it.
Time will change it, the mindsets will ease.
two decades ago unionsts/loyalists wouldnt cross the border.
a decade ago unionists/loyalists wouldnt work south of the border or wouldnt buy/sell good with mexicans (apart from the hypocritical paisley and co)
five years ago unionists/loyalists wouldnt set foot in croke park for any reasons

in all that time, what have the southern people done to change 'their' ways to allow the unionist/loyalists to soften their position ?
the answer is nothing, the problem is in the never never never mindset and once this idiotic starched hatred and opinion is jettisoned, the entire island will benefit.
Northern nationalists have integrated into jobs (PSNI, Gov), communities (waterside Derry) , schools (numerous) and sports (rugby).
It will take time for the unionists/loyalists to allow themselves come down from the high horse - as they already know that nationalists et all are more than willing to integrate with them and liase with them in the communities and country.
Lynchboy if the GAA required an oath to the queen would you  of joined?
Didn't the RUC have to be totally be remade to be acceptable?
What political aspects of Rugby would prevent Republicans supporting it?