GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 23, 2022, 01:21:39 PM
Are Republicans commemorating them or the GAA?
If you were familiar with the area, you'd be speedily reassured that it's both.

I never said it was wrong. I said there may be consequences.
Incorrect. You did not say there "may" be consequences. You said there should be consequences (and went as far as to explain that they should be financial ones). Which kinda is saying that it was wrong.

Poppy fascism is a huge problem, but it's state sanctioned, like it or not.
And? Erecting a memorial to Republican Volunteers isn't illegal in the state either. Yet you are saying the club "should be excluded from Stormont funding". So it's not about what is or is not state sanctioned. It's just you, giving your view, on what remembrances/commemorations should face punishment/sanction. As it stands, you are only applying that to this one commemoration for three IRA volunteers. Which is telling. So my question remains the same: Soccer clubs /teams in the north, including the north's own soccer team, wear poppy armbands and hold minutes silences for British war dead. This in spite of Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy etc. Should they too be stripped of Stormont funding, or should sanctions only exist for commemorations of Republicans?

Evil Genius

If someone on this Board was interested in joining his/her local soccer club, went along and saw that there was a memorial eg to three dead UVF men on the premises, would that make him/her more or less likely to go ahead?

Or would he/she just shrug it off?

Either way, I wouldn't want anything to do with such a club, whether soccer/UVF or GAA/IRA.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 23, 2022, 01:48:02 PM
If someone on this Board was interested in joining his local soccer club, went along and saw that there was a memorial eg to three dead UVF men on the premises, would that make him/her more or less likely to go ahead?

Either way, I wouldn't want anything to do with such a club, whether soccer/UVF or GAA/IRA.

and yet everyone has seen soccer clubs trying to get players to wear poppies and the like.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on February 23, 2022, 01:49:19 PM
If someone on this Board was interested in joining his local soccer club, went along and saw that there was a memorial eg to three dead UVF men on the premises, would that make him/her more or less likely to go ahead?

and yet everyone has seen soccer clubs trying to get players to wear poppies and the like.
Whataboutery.

Why not just answer my question?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Snapchap

If someone went to Windsor Park and heard GSTQ being played and British War dead being commemorated, and poppy fundraisers for ex-British soldiers, would that make a young nationalist more or less likely to attend/join in?

Are you suggesting all commemorations with political connections should be barred from sports grounds, or only the ones you personally disagree with?

Snapchap

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 23, 2022, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 23, 2022, 01:49:19 PM

Whataboutery.

Why not just answer my question?

"Whataboutery" is just a lazy word that people use to try to squirm out having to explain glaring hypocrisies in their argument.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2022, 01:53:19 PM

If someone went to Windsor Park and heard GSTQ being played and British War dead being commemorated, and poppy fundraisers for ex-British soldiers, would that make a young nationalist more or less likely to attend/join in?

Are you suggesting all commemorations with political connections should be barred from sports grounds, or only the ones you personally disagree with?
This thread is about the GAA reaching out to Unionists.

If you wish to discuss eg the IFA reaching out to Nationailists, why not start a separate thread on that in the appropriate section?

After all, we wouldn't like to think you were hoping to deflect the discussion on this thread, would we?

Which brings us back to my original question. Any answer?

Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2022, 01:54:54 PM
"Whataboutery" is just a lazy word that people use to try to squirm out having to explain glaring hypocrisies in their argument.
You don't know my "argument" (stance), since I didn't make one. Rather I asked a question to try to discern more about your stance.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

general_lee

If someone on this Board was interested in joining his/her local soccer club, went along and saw that there was a memorial eg to three dead UVF men on the premises, would that make him/her more or less likely to go ahead?

If the soccer team had poppies embroidered onto their playing shirts commemorating the likes of not just the paras, UDR et al but also the UVF, UDA, RHC would that not be more applicable?
You see, the poppy is every bit as offensive to some people as these IRA memorials are to others; and I'm sure you well know, many Unionists like to remember their UVF, UFF, RHC fallen heroes by wearing one...

tiempo

Personal choice
Personal choice

Hope this helps

Just wondering, would you advocate violence against cultural expression or have unionists given that up? Reaching out to the oppressor, what a deranged concept, leave that for lickspittles and the like

Snapchap

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 23, 2022, 02:20:00 PM

If you wish to discuss eg the IFA reaching out to Nationailists, why not start a separate thread on that in the appropriate section?

After all, we wouldn't like to think you were hoping to deflect the discussion on this thread, would we?

What a laughably pathetic reply. Surely even you could read that back and realise who cowardly it comes across.

If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of political memorials in GAA grounds, then it's perfectly within the same sphere of discussion to discuss how political memorials are handled by other sports organisations in the same geographical region, by people who lived through the same shared experience of the same conflict.

SO enough dodging.

Evil Genius

Quote from: general_lee on February 23, 2022, 02:21:29 PM

If the soccer team had poppies embroidered onto their playing shirts commemorating the likes of not just the paras, UDR et al but also the UVF, UDA, RHC would that not be more applicable?
You see, the poppy is every bit as offensive to some people as these IRA memorials are to others; and I'm sure you well know, many Unionists like to remember their UVF, UFF, RHC fallen heroes by wearing one...
That's still not answering my question, though, is it?

A question which was designed to require you to think about how the GAA's actions impact upon Unionists.

Which is, after all, the whole point of this thread.

So why won't you answer the question? I mean, if you continue to dodge it, I might be forced to draw my own conclusions from your reticence, which kinda defeats the purpose.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: tiempo on February 23, 2022, 02:26:33 PM

Personal choice
Personal choice

Hope this helps
Sorry, but it doesn't really help, since you don't disclose what your choice would be (i.e. carry on in, or turn on your heels and leave).

Quote from: tiempo on February 23, 2022, 02:26:33 PM
Just wondering, would you advocate violence against cultural expression or have unionists given that up? Reaching out to the oppressor, what a deranged concept, leave that for lickspittles and the like
May I deduce from that that you consider all of your Unionist neighbours/friends/workmates etc to be your "oppressors"?

And if so, does that mean you think the GAA must not attempt to reach out to Unionists (that being the topic of this discussion and all).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Snapchap

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 23, 2022, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 23, 2022, 02:21:29 PM

That's still not answering my question, though, is it?

A question which was designed to require you to think about how the GAA's actions impact upon Unionists.

Which is, after all, the whole point of this thread.

So why won't you answer the question? I mean, if you continue to dodge it, I might be forced to draw my own conclusions from your reticence, which kinda defeats the purpose.

If you are going to continue to insist that discussion of political commemorations by soccer clubs/bodies in the north is somehow unrelated to discussion of how such commemorations are handled by GAA, then it's really just a waste of time trying to engage with you. And you're just wasting your own time trying if you think anyone will take you seriously.

naka

evil genius
not defending your right to challenge,
but i would say
1 the clonoe memorial is a memorial made by a gaa club not by the gaa as a generic organisation which is deliberately trying to stay clear of this minefield in both the South with the civil war commemorations and the North.
my own feelings are that   anyone is entitled to recognise their fallen on both sides , it isnt one sided, but its a political point.

i would be surprised if consent was sought and obtained from the trustees given rule 1.11 but maybe i am wrong.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2022, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 23, 2022, 02:20:00 PM

What a laughably pathetic reply. Surely even you could read that back and realise who cowardly it comes across.

If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of political memorials in GAA grounds, then it's perfectly within the same sphere of discussion to discuss how political memorials are handled by other sports organisations in the same geographical region, by people who lived through the same shared experience of the same conflict.

SO enough dodging.
So start a separate thread on the topic and see whether I dodge that one then.

In the meantime, my entirely on-topic question was a simple one - UVF memorial" in a soccer club: head on in or turn away?

* - Not that I know of any, since it would undoubtedly be contrary to the rules and regs of the IFA.

Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2022, 02:30:00 PM

You're quite the fan of this Whataboutery game, aren't you?

How are you on Wordle, I'm having a bit of a problem with today's puzzle.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"