An Mhí v Ard Mhacha

Started by thejuice, March 31, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 06, 2008, 06:45:04 PM

The second Meath goal was a disaster, Moriarty dropped the ball into the net after being challenged by his own goalkeeper.

It was Aidan O' Rourke, not Moriarity.

Rufus T Firefly

Agreed with a lot of the sentiments being expressed here. Meath were well deserving of their victory and yet they are nothing special.

At lthe risk of getting into the press, I think Hearty can forget about featuring this year. I would put him as at total fault for the second and vital Meath goal. That ball was a straightforward catch for the defender, and as he regularly does he went for a ball that he'd no business going after and it landed in the net. We got absolutely horsed at midfield, but I thought his kickouts didn't help, and our ability to get breaking ball around the middle was totally non existant as the match went on.

I realise that young McKinney is the clearest contender for the number one jersey, and he made a bad mistake against Westmeath, but given what I have seen of Paul Hearty recently, I think he is desrving of a good run in the team.

Like others, I thought our corner backs struggled big time, and on last night's showing, I can't see anything but Enda and Andy Mallon at 2 and 4. Donaghy played well in patches, and has the makings of a good un, but we have nobody in the class of Darren Fay. Our half back line was probably our best line on the pitch.

Midfield as stated, was a disaster, and there was a real feeling of deja vu, as the same thing happened two years ago. In the first half though we managed to get some breaking ball, but this disappeared after the break.

Despite all that, there were chances for points in the second half, but it was clear we were struggling badly, and indeed were reverting to the old high ball in on top of a two man full forward line. Even with a point in it in the second half, I could not see us winning.

Overall this was a very discouraging evening, and although it may be wrong (just like the Roscommon game) to read too much into 70 minutes, that said, I can't help but get the feeling that we will have some difficult times ahead.

That therefore leaves Armagh needing one point from their last two games to ensure division 2 survival, as it is likely that Cavan will beat Roscommon and end on four. It could go down to the wire!

Orior

Was Paddy McKeever on the bench? He might have been a bit industrious than Oisin.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Uladh

A bitterly disappointing performance from armagh after the promise shown against Monaghan and Roscommon. In stark contrast to the movement and cutting edge in those games, the forward line was flat and static.

As has been said, the midfield was wiped out and even breaking the ball became a huge task. i was disappointed O'Neill or Lavery did not appear in this department at half time. Swift failed to shine as an auxillary midfielder but it's unfair to pick him out given everyone in that sector underperformed.

I actually thought the full back line coped ok. as bad as the meath domination was elsewhere they needed 2 goals they wouldn't normally get to win the game. the first goal was straight at hearty and he had to move his head to allow it past him the second was a ridiculous mixup between o'rourke and hearty with not a meath man in sight. there was no need for the concession of the penalty either with loads of bodies around geraghty going to ground was his only way out.

contrary to other contributers i thought the half back line was terrible. they have been doing well til saturday but they were cleaned out by meath. o'rourke had his hands full containing bray and consequently never offered the full back line any protection - normally one of his biggest strengths. byrne ran McKeever into the ground, kicked two points from play and completely destroyed him on break ball - again normally a strength of McKeever's. aaron was also led a merry dance by nestor, who fielded 4 kickouts cleanly by my counting. but the biggest problem with the line was their refusal to give the forwards the ball. i don't know how many tmes they were blew for overcarrying while dithering about or standing still bouncing the ball but it was a lot. "kick the f**king ball in" was all i could hear being screamed round me as the lads dandered up the field while the meathmen sprinted on ahead of them to cover in front of clarke and McDonnell.

A woeful day also for the half forwards. Martin O'Rourke showed only glimpses of his usual ball winning and his distribution very poor. sk only wanted the ball in his own hlf back line where he wouldn't be under any pressure, won no breaking ball and did not penetrate at all. swift wasn't on the pitch.

It was a bad day at the office for the full forward line. clarke and McDonnell started promisingly, winning ball out in front before the supply dried up but after clarke snatched at a few shooting opportunities his head dropped. they got no supply worth talking about from the 20 min mark on. Tony k had a poor day too. he's had more good ones than bad ones though and is in his first season so has to be cut some slack. the worry i'm starting to have with him is that if his frees aren't happening as with sat then he is not yet offering much if anything from open play - a job oisin could probably do better.

Overall very disappointing, especially to be out worked and out fought. this creeping refusal to let the ball go though has become my biggest worry as the games go by.

Goats Do Shave

I was gettign confused reading this thread, because I thought Meath's half forward line was very strong on Saturday evening! Only their full forward line was quite poor (Considering the amount of ball that was beinf fed in!), Armagh could have been on the end of an even bigger hiding!

Aaron Kernan looks good when he has the ball, when he doesn't is where he needs to improve!

I'd thought changes should have been made a lot ealrier! As said Bray led AOR on a merry dance. I'd have switched him with Finn Mo, who struggled with Geraghty's strength, and more worringly, his pace!  :-\

Brendan Donaghy is a fine footballer & the only plus I would take away from Navan!

Darren Fay - What a footballer!  8)

Feckitt

Darren Fay is still the King !!! 8)

thejuice

Didnt get to listen to the game as I was at our clubs dinner dance. Good to get the win, at least we are safe in Division 2 for next year. In the context of our other recent performances its hard to place this one. For a midfield that was so poor against Monaghan to suddenly dominating is quite a transition. Was it poor opposition which seems to be the case reading here or did Coyler give the lads a kick up the arse during the week. Probably both. Our forwards were getting squeezed out of it against Monaghan and it seems the opposite occured Saturday night.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016