An Mhí v Ard Mhacha

Started by thejuice, March 31, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Páirc Tailteann: Saturday April 5th @ 7.00pm

Some points will be crucial for us, I think we should start worrying about avoiding relegation a bit more now, that loss to Monaghan has put real dents in our promotion ambitions. Most we can get is 9 points out of this season which at most get us tied in 2nd but at least keeps us in division 2.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

You beat us well a couple of years ago in Navan, even if you allow for the fact that the umpire didn't see an Armagh goal that was clearly over the line. I think we'll do better this time. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Will Farrell and O'Rourke be back anytime soon? At the moment the forwards are too easily bottled up and players seemed to be left isolated in possession a lot yesterday. Need Moyles back too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Expected Meath to show a lot stronger than they have so far so would be reasonably confident for Saturday. Be great to win 2 or 3 of our last matches although the 1 victory should hopefully leave us safe.

Assume he'll just go for the same team that was named for last week.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Meath should be safe enough to avoid the drop.  However...

Roscommon are gone and Cavan would have to have (at minimum), one draw and a win to match Meath (scoring difference wouldn't count as Meath didn't play Cork  - however, a Cavan win would be likely against Roscommon and a draw, whilst less likely, isn't out of the question against Westmeath).
Such an outcome is however, on the theoretical assumption that Meath lose both remaining games (although with Armagh and Dublin to play, that's a distinct possbility).

At the same time, Cork and Armagh aren't out of the woods either - both have difficult remaining matches.  Hard to call.  Cavan may have the motiviation after Saturday night to put up a fight.

Maguire01

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 31, 2008, 10:38:22 PM
Expected Meath to show a lot stronger than they have so far so would be reasonably confident for Saturday. Be great to win 2 or 3 of our last matches although the 1 victory should hopefully leave us safe.

Assume he'll just go for the same team that was named for last week.

Meath only have 2 games left - do they not?

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Uladh

I'm reliably informed that neither Clarke nor Martin O'Rourke would have played against the dubs due to injury but both should be ok for saturday night. a cliche i know but this game in navan is huge for armagh. a win gives us momentum to go into the dublin game with promotion to play for and a swell in belief for the championship build up. a defeat brings relegation back into full view and the dogfight that comes with it.

Meath haven't been hitting the heights thus far in the league so hopefully sat isn't their time to kick into gear.

Main Street

You would only have a dogfight against Dublin to stay up if Cavan beat Westmeath.
The more ifs involved in the permutation the less likely it will happen.

bennydorano

Quote from: Uladh on April 02, 2008, 11:15:40 AM

I'm reliably informed that neither Clarke nor Martin O'Rourke would have played against the dubs due to injury but both should be ok for saturday night. a cliche i know but this game in navan is huge for armagh. a win gives us momentum to go into the dublin game with promotion to play for and a swell in belief for the championship build up. a defeat brings relegation back into full view and the dogfight that comes with it.

Meath haven't been hitting the heights thus far in the league so hopefully sat isn't their time to kick into gear.
McKinney wouldn't have made it either due to 'Flu, Willie McSorely from Harps was called up for the day.

Meath hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us in the league and they are the sort of big physical team that could give us real big problems.  Would be a huge ask of Toner and Nippy to dominate MF, McGrane is essential in there.  The FB line is still cause for grave concern.  Vernon has had another week of training under his belt and should be fit to go, but I'd assume they'd go with the same team that was due to line out v the Dub's - I would view it as very encouraging if they didn't as it would mean they lineout with a particular opposition in mind - horses for courses and all that.

Jinxy

Dunno what sort of midfield partnership we'll have though. Ward went off injured the last day, so did Reilly, Moyles is currently injured and Crawford isn't playing well. At this stage we'd want our first 15 to start taking some sort of shape, instead we are losing players every week. We should throw Geraghty in there I reckon.

Imposerous

Would be a huge ask of Toner and Nippy to dominate MF, McGrane is essential in there.  The FB line is still cause for grave concern.  Vernon has had another week of training under his belt and should be fit to go, but I'd assume they'd go with the same team that was due to line out v the Dub's - I would view it as very encouraging if they didn't as it would mean they lineout with a particular opposition in mind - horses for courses and all that.
[/quote]

I beginning to think McGrane's performances are not what they were.  When was the last time the you can think of that he gave a "second best midfielder of the past 10 years" performance.  I think Toner is a very able deputy; similar strength, engine, but with perhaps a bit more pace and passing ability.  
Toner and Vernon coped very well with Meath's very tall midfield champo starters in a challenge game a week or two before they faced Dublin last year. While a few seasons ago in a league game Nippy and Loughran (brought on as a sub) and someone else who I can't recall were totally wiped out.  They looked like men against boys.  Perhaps McGrane's strenth will be indispensable, but is he really the nailed-on automatic start he once was?
I do think the same named FB line will face problems against Meath's FF line. But if we can produce the same fluid attacking performance as against Roscommon then we are capable of winning, despite this being a completly different quality of opposition.

bennydorano

I assume it was you who in a previous thread said McGrane was on the way out and not sure of a starting position? if I recall you were a lone voice and I certainly dont see it myself, he's absolutely crucial to Armagh's fortunes. He's not getting any younger though. Toner is nailed on to be his partner but at 21 it's a bit much expecting him to be your 'go to' midfielder.

Wouldn't be too confident of a win in this one.

Jinxy

Any chance of Setanta showing this? Will be down the country so I won't make it to Navan unfortunately. :'(