orchardcounty.com

Started by EugeneGeraghty, March 31, 2008, 11:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Uladh on March 31, 2008, 11:45:53 AM

orchardcounty discussion board is no loss to the passtime of gaa discussion in any way shape or form. however, it is a huge blow to pre and early teen girl's opportunities to air the contents of their wet dreams. unfortunately some of the idiots who offer up their insightful analysis on our games may now resort to this board. you have all been warned... be very afraid.

You are being a bit over zealous there Uladh. If we had to rely on the official armagh site then there would be a more than referees getting lost.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 31, 2008, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2008, 12:26:43 PM
A website closes because a poll is put up?? A poll that is in no way libelous(but probably insulting),  If that is the case it is very very sad state of affairs.  Why do elements within the GAA think that issues and players are no go areas for discussion?

Because they're not professionals - simple as that. Having said that, most people have no problem with 'discussion', just those who take it that bit too far.
Nonsense, should all discussion boards that discuss non professional sports disband?  Some people do take it too far, but I do resent the efforts to eradicate certain discussions - interent discussion boards certainly seem to be targeted in particular, yet numerous 'pundits' write worse dung in the nationals daily.

AZOffaly

Pundits on the paper are not anonymous, and their editor is theoretically in charge of what they post, so the papers and the journo are both liable if the shit hits the fan. On an internet DB the posters are anonymous, and therefore people say things they wouldn't say openly, or put their name to. That means some nastier stuff than would ever appear on a newspaper can find it's way onto a site which, if anything, is even more accessible than a newspaper.

bennydorano

Yes, anonymity certainly does make people braver.   In relation to this site I have previously stated that we should go down the route OWC went with paying a sub and tightening up on membership.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2008, 03:24:25 PM
Yes, anonymity certainly does make people braver.   In relation to this site I have previously stated that we should go down the route OWC went with paying a sub and tightening up on membership.

Braver? That's one way of looking at it. I'd say it makes them more cowardly. (Some people)

bennydorano

Braver in that if they realise there's no consequences they can get away with pretty much anything, but I reckon we pretty much mean the same thing.

pintsofguinness

f**king hell!  A majority on orchardcounty were teenagers however there was a right few of decent posters and Barry seemed a decent sort.  I had seen the poll on McDonnell (if he should be dropped)l, I think it arose out of a thread on the same subject and I had seen  someone say Tierney had mentioned it in his article.  I didn't read the threads however I'd be shocked if anything out of order was said or allowed to remain on any of them, one of my biggest criticisms of orchardcounty was that there was f**k all criticism of the players allowed.  There is certainly a lot more criticism of players on this site and in fact armagh posters on this site were criticised on orchardcounty last year due to some of the criticism we had dished out to players and management. 
I would be interested to know the lead up to the closing of the site as I would doubt anything libel was said so I wonder was it just a case of Barry not being bothered with the hassle or if he'd be contacted, I don't think he made any secret of his identity. 

I can only describe Tierney and McDonnell (if he's been yapping again) as pathetic!  Absolutely pathetic! The pair must have nothing else to worry them if they're annoyed about a silly poll amongst teenagers. Sad and pathetic lads. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Agree totally POG, but you left out Jarlath who had a go a week or two ago in the Gaelic Life. (not on the Stevie poll, but similar).

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2008, 07:25:26 PM
Agree totally POG, but you left out Jarlath who had a go a week or two ago in the Gaelic Life. (not on the Stevie poll, but similar).

Didn't see or hear what Jarlath said?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mhacadoir

i am a regular user on orchardcounty...

while there are a few who offer little football-wise to the debates, there are also quite a lot of people who contributed greatly to proper conversations.

hope barry gets it up and running soon because he puts a hell of a lot of work into it, with an average of about 5000 hits a day it was popular.

Armagh Exile

Div. Two P Pts
Monaghan 5 9
Dublin 4 7
Meath 5 5
Armagh 4 4
Westmeath 4 4
Cork 5 4
Cavan 5 2
Roscommon 4 1

The above is the up to date NFL Div. Two Table as presently on the Offical Armagh Website.
Bring back orchardcounty.com

TacadoirArdMhacha

Surely the poll isn't isn't libellous, questioning Stevie's place on the team (however wrong I think that view might be) is just an opinion on sport and is no more than has been suggested on this board. As long as people stick to debating football and leave personality assaination out of it, I don't see that there's any legal issue.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ardmhachaabu

I don't know, you just can't please all the people all the time.

Those with a patronising attitude towards orchardcounty.com ought to ask themselves what they are doing to actively support Armagh IC team, it seems to me you can't do right for doing wrong in some people's eyes, however tainted their outlooks may be because their attitudes have more to do with self promotion than promotion of Armagh IC team.  They think that their sort of support is better than a teenage girl's infatuation with Aaron Kernan (not that I fancy Aaron) because they can vocalise everything better.

I may not be the best at vocalising or even writing what i see at IC matches, I may not be able to vocalise what i see as defects in the way Armagh play x, y or z teams. If I say that I loved seeing Francie back out on the pitch for the IC squad, does that make me an orchardcounty.com fan with nothing else to say?  I have been following Armagh IC for near 35 years, this sort of snobbery, the sport doesn't need.

Support is support no matter where it comes from.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Uladh

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 31, 2008, 10:47:00 PM

Is it?

I'd like to know how you think that the posters of OC are doing more "to actively support Armagh IC team" than posters on any other particular forum?

Zapatista

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 31, 2008, 10:47:00 PM
I don't know, you just can't please all the people all the time.

Those with a patronising attitude towards orchardcounty.com ought to ask themselves what they are doing to actively support Armagh IC team, it seems to me you can't do right for doing wrong in some people's eyes, however tainted their outlooks may be because their attitudes have more to do with self promotion than promotion of Armagh IC team.  They think that their sort of support is better than a teenage girl's infatuation with Aaron Kernan (not that I fancy Aaron) because they can vocalise everything better.

I may not be the best at vocalising or even writing what i see at IC matches, I may not be able to vocalise what i see as defects in the way Armagh play x, y or z teams. If I say that I loved seeing Francie back out on the pitch for the IC squad, does that make me an orchardcounty.com fan with nothing else to say?  I have been following Armagh IC for near 35 years, this sort of snobbery, the sport doesn't need.

I agree with most of that. Even our posters from around the world who can't always make it to games are a very important part of the discussions. I don't agree with your last comment though. Some support is more harm than good. Some supporters should not be allowed near games as they are a danger to everyone.