orchardcounty.com

Started by EugeneGeraghty, March 31, 2008, 11:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EugeneGeraghty

DUE TO RECENT EVENTS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE PRESS REGARDING THIS SITE, I HAVE NO OPTION BUT TO SUSPEND IT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. IF NEED BE, I CAN BE CONTACTED AT barry@orchardcounty.com

Just out of curiosity why is this and what coverage in the press are they referring to?

AZOffaly

I presume there were some dodgy posts about real people on there? Fair warning for here as well.

armaghniac

This is sad. While the quality of debate on Orchardcounty varies, there are some excellent posts and much useful information there and Barry has put a huge amount of work into it. I hope things get sorted out and thanks Barry for the effort of keeping the show on the road.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

I think it relates ro a poll that they had about "Should Steven McDonnell be dropped?"  it was referred to in some newspaper article, may have been th one by Benny Tierney in the IN and it raised a few heckles.  It is an example of how things are becoming more scrutinized and may give some understanding to the Mods approach recently.  Also the is a thread on AFR about politics.ie and the Mahon Tribunal.  A solicitors' letter from Grainne Carruth's solicitor was sent to the creator of politics.ie and it created a bit of a stir.

stephenite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 31, 2008, 11:26:28 AM
I think it relates ro a poll that they had about "Should Steven McDonnell be dropped?"  it was referred to in some newspaper article, may have been th one by Benny Tierney in the IN and it raised a few heckles.  It is an example of how things are becoming more scrutinized and may give some understanding to the Mods approach recently.  Also the is a thread on AFR about politics.ie and the Mahon Tribunal.  A solicitors' letter from Grainne Carruth's solicitor was sent to the creator of politics.ie and it created a bit of a stir.

Saw that on politics.ie, the solicitors wanted the names and addresses of certain posters. How they figured the Mod would have that info is beyond me, however David Cochrane seems to think that by stating the site is hosted in the States covers him from any liabilty - not so sure about that. Any ideas on the legalities on BC?

illdecide

Never liked that site anyway, i thought it was full of teenagers and girls and not much sense out of them. All they usually wanted was to meet Aaron Kernan WTF
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

To be honest stephenite, I am not sure.  the whole issue about libel on the internet is something that is very sketchy given the different laws about libel worldwide.  Also as most modertors get the info off pretty sharp when it is seen as a problem then it comes down to a level of degrees. 

As the the site is the agent for the libel, then to me they should be vicariosuly liable.  It may mean that each entry made by a poster on a board like this would have to be proof read but that would be impossible too.

Uladh

orchardcounty discussion board is no loss to the passtime of gaa discussion in any way shape or form. however, it is a huge blow to pre and early teen girl's opportunities to air the contents of their wet dreams. unfortunately some of the idiots who offer up their insightful analysis on our games may now resort to this board. you have all been warned... be very afraid.

gander

The orchardcounty forumn may have gone down hill this last while but it was always very good for getting the club fixture lists and results.

gaaboard

I think this is fair warning for us all.
I notice that Hoganstand.com have just switched to a registered board.
Premierview have gone for a completely private forum and have also suspended new registrations for 6 months.

There are more people keeping an eye on these forums and we have to be very careful about what is said here.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gaaboard on March 31, 2008, 11:53:59 AM
I think this is fair warning for us all.
I notice that Hoganstand.com have just switched to a registered board.
Premierview have gone for a completely private forum and have also suspended new registrations for 6 months.

There are more people keeping an eye on these forums and we have to be very careful about what is said here.

With all those changes going on, are we left a bit open here? There might be an influx.

armaghniac

There is no doubt that a lot of discussion on Orchardcounty was from people without a great knowledge of Gaelic games (putting it charitably). But I don't think the GAA should consider itself be a closed shop of small group of experts, it is not a entirely a bad sign that the teenagers of Armagh are yaking on a GAA site rather than on Bebo or wherever. Better than having them entirely unaware of the GAA, which is increasingly the case in some parts of the country.

And of course the site was useful for fixtures etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donagh

Pity about Orchardcounty, Barry does a great job there. His board offered a forum for a different type of poster than the anoraks on here but is a valuable resource none the less.

bennydorano

A website closes because a poll is put up?? A poll that is in no way libelous(but probably insulting),  If that is the case it is very very sad state of affairs.  Why do elements within the GAA think that issues and players are no go areas for discussion?

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2008, 12:26:43 PM
A website closes because a poll is put up?? A poll that is in no way libelous(but probably insulting),  If that is the case it is very very sad state of affairs.  Why do elements within the GAA think that issues and players are no go areas for discussion?

Because they're not professionals - simple as that. Having said that, most people have no problem with 'discussion', just those who take it that bit too far.