ROSCOMMON v WESTMEATH.

Started by Shrewdness, March 24, 2008, 05:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: ROSCOMMON v WESTMEATH.
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:11:38 AM »
John Tobin was a coaching manager and that ended in grief

Ros won a Connacht title with Tobin. along with playing good football and doing very well in the league.

Carr was different and that ended in tears too

In fairness, Tommy got us to a few league semi finals and Connacht finals. His undoing was the turmoil in the county board at the time.

Maughan won 3 Connachts 1996-1999 and nearly landed an All Ireland from division 3! His Clare team beat Kerry in a Munster final. A Kerry team with Jack o Shea , Seamas Moynihan and others who won All Ireland in 1997. Thats not a bad cv and the fella that takes over will do well to end up as good. I have the height of regard for Tobin- excellent coach in the tradition that the admirable Liam Sammon also promotes.  All I remember Carr for is showin what a hard man he was by effin one of the fool Duffy referees in Ballinlough - a bit like beatin up your granny. Maughan was brought in to clear up and out but once he got rid of likes of Curran White Francie Grehan Rodgers Noone Casey and Frankie Dolan and ?????? .......... He was a fool to take that on and he knows it now. Maughan never got any good will in Ros from the start- he lost 3 all ireland senior finals with Mayo after all and an u 21 for good measure tut tut. Who ll be next?

navaniarmhi

The reaction of Roscommon supporters to defeat by Westmeath puts me in mind of the abuse Tommy Lyons received in 2004. It seems to me that Roscommon, as well as some other counties, seem to regard defeat by Westmeath as a nadir that cannot be tolerated.  Of course our experience over many years tells us that Westmeath weren't worth a curse but assessing Westmeath on their historical impoverishment is like persistently viewing Roscommon in the light of their golden period between 1939 and 1944.

The reality is that this Westmeath team contains lads who have won a Leinster, lads who have minor or U-21 All-Irelands, lads who have Division 2 "National Titles" and there are a couple of All Stars to boot. Moreover the county has appeared in three All-Ireland series since the new system was introduced in 2001.

Perhaps most importantly the county has been slowly unburdening itself of years of heavy defeats at the hands of pedigree counties like, presumably, Roscommon.  So much so that over the last half decade they have defeated in league or championship: Mayo, Galway, Dublin, Meath, Armagh,  Donegal, Cork, Down, Offaly and now Roscommon. These were and remain significant wins for a county that was at one time ranked 28th out of 33.Their performances over the last few years rank them consistently in at least the 10th to 12th bracket and I do not believe Roscommon can say the same. Perhaps a  little more evidence-based assessment of Roscommon's place in the football world is required.

Rudi

Quote from: navaniarmhi on April 01, 2008, 08:30:07 PM
The reaction of Roscommon supporters to defeat by Westmeath puts me in mind of the abuse Tommy Lyons received in 2004. It seems to me that Roscommon, as well as some other counties, seem to regard defeat by Westmeath as a nadir that cannot be tolerated.  Of course our experience over many years tells us that Westmeath weren't worth a curse but assessing Westmeath on their historical impoverishment is like persistently viewing Roscommon in the light of their golden period between 1939 and 1944.

The reality is that this Westmeath team contains lads who have won a Leinster, lads who have minor or U-21 All-Irelands, lads who have Division 2 "National Titles" and there are a couple of All Stars to boot. Moreover the county has appeared in three All-Ireland series since the new system was introduced in 2001.

Perhaps most importantly the county has been slowly unburdening itself of years of heavy defeats at the hands of pedigree counties like, presumably, Roscommon.  So much so that over the last half decade they have defeated in league or championship: Mayo, Galway, Dublin, Meath, Armagh,  Donegal, Cork, Down, Offaly and now Roscommon. These were and remain significant wins for a county that was at one time ranked 28th out of 33.Their performances over the last few years rank them consistently in at least the 10th to 12th bracket and I do not believe Roscommon can say the same. Perhaps a  little more evidence-based assessment of Roscommon's place in the football world is required.

Its not the fact we were beaten by Westmeath, it was the manner in which we went down. We totally threw in the towel after Glennon scored. And unlike Armagh, Westmeath took it easy on us in the second half & could have easily won by 20 points. To put in two dismal performances on the trot is unacceptable in any county. So I would not take it personal, it just happened to be Westmeath, had it been Kerry the outcome would have been the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: navaniarmhi on April 01, 2008, 08:30:07 PM
. Perhaps a  little more evidence-based assessment of Roscommon's place in the football world is required.

You mind you business and we'll look after our place in the world which looks a little less dim now that the Mayoman has departed our fair County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Would agree with a lot of that sentiment navaniarmhi, alluded to the mistreatment of Westmeath in the media earlier. I don't understand it myself, would see us being there or thereabouts with Laois but according to the mejia we're the overachievers wheras they're the underachievers with the endless stream of talent  ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...