ROSCOMMON v WESTMEATH.

Started by Shrewdness, March 24, 2008, 05:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Why did J Maughan bother his barney, clearly they are not listening or are not able to play the game at westmeaths level.
As for Sligo being connnaught champs, sure they are for the first time since i was in nappies and i will be in nappies again when they are champions of connaught again,in the nursing home,

heineken_on_tap

Another shocking display by the Rossies - fair play to Westmeath they were a much better side. No excuses but asking the U-21 lads to play again on sunday was disgraceful. I think they should be left concentrate on the U-21 competion for now. Sure we have no leaders and half our lads are not up to inter county standard. Last thing we need now is a trip to Dublin. :(

Jack Dempsey

who were the 5 Under-21s that played ?

Rossie11

4 I think. The entire half back line, O Gara Kenny Keenan and Cathal Cregg.
The fact that kenny and o gara are forwards only confirms the mans stupidity.

AN other

Duffy is progressing very nicely this year for Westmeath. He fielded some good ball again yesterday and he really looks like he's developing into a good consistent player. Glennon too, seems to have matured this year, he's pretty likely to continue with the arm waving dramatics for a good while, but as a player he certainly seems to have come on another bit. His goal was very well taken. I only just hope, in future, he will show such composure when faced with similar opportunites in do or die fast-paced championship matches...
Although we won this one comfortably, we've played better this year against Dublin and Cork and not got results. I'd like to think we had a little in reserve the whole time.

Rossfan

Quote from: mannix on March 31, 2008, 10:12:59 AM
Why did J Maughan bother his barney, clearly they are not listening or are not able to play the game at westmeaths level.

Listen Mannix(Maughan??) how could anyone get up to Westmeath's level after 3 or 4 months of running around a dog track and having an army trainer.
F F S we are now the laughing stock of Ireland as that cnut insults and abuses us on TV and our Co Board do nothing.
FCUK OFF MAUGHAN YA *********.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2008, 04:24:27 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 31, 2008, 10:12:59 AM

Listen Mannix(Maughan??) how could anyone get up to Westmeath's level after 3 or 4 months of running around a dog track and having an army trainer.
F F S we are now the laughing stock of Ireland as that cnut insults and abuses us on TV and our Co Board do nothing.
FCUK OFF MAUGHAN YA *********.

Have to agree - Maughan is not the man for the job. If it was possible he should be let go after the leaugue - it's obvious the players are not playing for him any more. I watched him on the line yesterday - he spent the whole game sitting on the bench with a puzzled look.  He just doesnt seem to have any tactical know how.

In saying that we have to be realistic, while we should be playing better than we are , we dont have a pool of players that can challenge the top teams on a regular basis. Any new manager would not be able to fix that.

mannix

If maughan has them running on a track they should be fit enough to disrupt a team like westmeath enough to prevent a 14 point haul, even allowing for frees.

Rossfan

Ah for Jasus sake -football is played with a ball and in short sharp bursts of activity.
Nobody spends and hour or two non stop running around in a circle in a real football match.
The fact is that players nowadays know there is more to preparing for football than army fitness regimes which may be ok if you are going to march to Iraq or the like but no use to a crowd of lads who are going to partake in football.
It's no wonder the Ros lads have no spirit in them and the funeral silence of the Ros crowd through the game told it's own story. Then the manager goes on TV insulting and blaming the followers. LOOK in the  mirror John Boy.!!
We know we are not over run with talent at over 21 level but at least a management should be preparing lads  to play football to give them a chance.

Rossfan

I see on stolensheep that the management has resigned.
I wonder was it of their own volition or was it induced by the Executive or some of its members to save their own skins.

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2008, 07:52:39 PM
Ah for Jasus sake -football is played with a ball and in short sharp bursts of activity.
Nobody spends and hour or two non stop running around in a circle in a real football match.
The fact is that players nowadays know there is more to preparing for football than army fitness regimes which may be ok if you are going to march to Iraq or the like but no use to a crowd of lads who are going to partake in football.

Interesting you say that, because i recently read a piece on McElkennon (Monaghan's trainer) and apparently Monaghan don't do laps at all - it's all ball-work. It makes sense when you think about it - no player ever runs for more than a minute or so at a time.

whassupp2

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2008, 10:37:28 PM
I see on stolensheep that the management has resigned.
I wonder was it of their own volition or was it induced by the Executive or some of its members to save their own skins.

I think the management team has been disbanded.

I reckon Mike Ryan will take over the reigns as U21 and senior manager for the year with Fergal O'Donnell taking over next year (hopefully)
take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

moysider

Well he s gone now anyway. Find it hard to accept that the man who won a Munster with Clare [ a more difficult task than winning an All Ireland  with say Kerry] and got Mayo to 3 all Ireland finals in 7 years could be mainly responsible for Roscommon s ills. All his training regimes were brutal but they worked in Mayo and Clare. Maybe some players would need to take a long look at themselves. John Tobin was a coaching manager and that ended in grief. Carr was different and that ended in tears too. Now a noted disciplinarian and fitness enforcer has bit the dust. What next? And who would want it now? Maybe big Fergie and no doubt he would get a positive response for a while at least but anybody who thinks that himself and those minors will come through will be disappointed. Counties are lucky if they get 4 or 5 senior players off an All Ireland u21 team - never mind a minor team. Ros fans will wish they never saw sight of Maughan. He ll be feeling the same no doubt about Ros. After this adventure his managerial career is dead in the water.

neilthemac

QuoteJohn Tobin was a coaching manager and that ended in grief

Ros won a Connacht title with Tobin. along with playing good football and doing very well in the league.

QuoteCarr was different and that ended in tears too

In fairness, Tommy got us to a few league semi finals and Connacht finals. His undoing was the turmoil in the county board at the time.

Mentalman

Quote from: neilthemac on April 01, 2008, 12:11:38 AM
QuoteJohn Tobin was a coaching manager and that ended in grief

Ros won a Connacht title with Tobin. along with playing good football and doing very well in the league.

QuoteCarr was different and that ended in tears too

In fairness, Tommy got us to a few league semi finals and Connacht finals. His undoing was the turmoil in the county board at the time.

For the talent you've had you definitely deserved more over the last 6/7 years. Westmeath have had a few chasin's in Hyde in the league, to such an extent the only trip there I've enjoyed was qualifier win against Mayo. Should be interesting to what happens next.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."