AFL 2008

Started by zoyler, March 22, 2008, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoyler

The Hawks wereoutstanding and played great sweeping football to win very easily in the end but my God the standard of refereeing/umpiring was woeful - it actually made the GAA guys look  good! As far as I can see when a defender pushes an attacker its a free and when its the other way round its play on!!I thought they were awful today and while leaning towards Hawthorn did not effect the result.

DUBSFORSAM1

Zoyler if the back puts his hands on the forwards back it is a free.....if your pushing from the front its ok

stephenite

Swans went down to Western Bulldogs yesterday afternoon - entertaining enough game but the Swans shooting was woeful, they looked pretty lethargic all over the field to be honest. Bulldogs certainly stepping up to the plate this year

RedandGreenSniper

Some of the Swans shooting in the third quarter especially was woeful. Only O'Loughlin seems to be delivering in attack and even he was guilty of missing a sitter.
Geelong still looking awesome though, Brisbane had them under serious pressure for 90% of the game and Geelong still won by nearly 30 points
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

zoyler

How do you push/wrestle from the front?  ???

DUBSFORSAM1

If your in front of someone you can push them backwards or in the chest etc....

Swans shooting was poor alright and they could/should have won....But then again they are missing Hall who is their main forward and Everitt/Playfair were playing their first games....Imagine how losing Brown woudl impact Brisbane or Fevola Carlton or Cooney for Bulldogs or Ablett for Geelong or Franklin for Hawthorn or Riedwolt for St Kilda etc.....

stephenite

I take your point but even the ususally reliable Mickey O'Loughlin was missing sitters that you would have banked on him to nail on any other day.

ykickamoocow

I thought some of you would be interested in this

Kennelly clues up on interstate rivalry

Irishman Tadhg Kennelly admits he will have to learn how to generate some anti-Victorian animosity very quickly ahead of this weekend's AFL Hall of Fame match.

The Swans premiership defender, who will line up for the Dream Team against Victoria at the MCG on Saturday, has been forced to look to his teammates for tips on how interstate rivalry works.

"It's pretty hard but it's something I'm trying to feed off the rest of the players that have been here," Kennelly said.

"Obviously AFL is very, very strong in Victoria and I really do see myself as a New South Welshman, now I've been in Sydney for 10 years.

"It's definitely something that you can see they have a lot of pride in and it would be great to get one over them."

Kennelly, one of the league's Irish recruitment success stories, said he was delighted to be the only `foreigner' in the side.

"I don't really feel like it, I've been here 10 years now but I'm very proud - it's an honour to be selected to play.

"Just meeting all the players is something we don't get an opportunity to do a whole lot in Sydney, playing with them and training with them and you can learn habits from them.

"I didn't even think I'd be playing at the MCG or playing Aussie Rules 15 years ago.

"It's been a long road and it's good to get recognised.

"It's a great opportunity for me to learn and play so much with the best players in the competition and learn so much from them.

"It's picking their brains more than anything else. Andrew McLeod is a similar type of player to myself - those types of players, you just want to learn as much from them and the way they carry themselves."

Kennelly said his selection in the team had been vindication for his decision to leave Ireland and start a new life in Australia.

"It is and it's great to get recognised amongst such good players.
"I left a lot behind and it's just good to know that a lot of the hard work I've done in the past has paid off," he said.

"Home's always going to be home no matter where in the world you're from I think but it is feeling more like home every year that I play here."

According to Kennelly the team which communicates better off the field is likely to have the edge in the clash.

"You don't know which way it's going to go, it's which team gets on a bit together off the field more than anything else then see if they can gel on the field," he said

http://news.realfooty.com.au/kennelly-clues-up-on-interstate-rivalry/20080507-2bvy.html

fred the red

Anyone know if you can watch this interstate game in ireland?

what time does it start at overhere?

ykickamoocow

Its just been announced that Tadhg Kennelly wont play in the Dreamteam vs Victoria due to injury. Its a shame as i was really looking forward to seeing him play.

stephenite

Kennelly went off injured today - dislocated knee cap again - looked sore as feck as he tried to bang the cap back into place. Swans leading 124-52 with 4 minutes remaining

JimStynes

Pies completely destroyed geelong today. Marty Clarke was the best on the field apparently. Kicked a good goal and got 28 disposals. unreal effort from Marty

Imposerous

Quote from: JimStynes on May 23, 2008, 05:33:56 PM
Pies completely destroyed geelong today. Marty Clarke was the best on the field apparently. Kicked a good goal and got 28 disposals. unreal effort from Marty

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/tabid/5586/Default.aspx?newsid=60159

Aerlik

As much as I hate to admit it, that was one helluva performance by The Pies last night.  I thought it would be the usual Geelong thrashing of a middling team, but not to be.  Marty was quite impressive indeed.  I didn't hear so much of the commentary but the one signicicant bit I did hear was when he volleyed the ball and Denis Commetti dryly added something along the lines of, met first time by you know who.

There was one moment in the third quarter when Gary Ablett left Marty and another Pie player flatfooted as he skipped past both of them.  And Dale Thomas' goal is worth watching over again.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!