AFL 2008

Started by zoyler, March 22, 2008, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: johnpower on July 12, 2008, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2008, 10:52:06 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 12, 2008, 08:40:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2008, 05:12:20 PM
Why isn't this thread on the non gaa section?

Was thinking that myself. Should be moved.

Moot point I'd say: wish that it were so, but the AFL has a very real relevance to the GAA at the minute, much more of a relevance than many of us are comfortable with.

Given the numbers heading to Oz and its potential to force the semi professionalism on the GAA it should be kept on the GAA side of the board

That is a separate issue to what actually happens in the games themselves. I follow the results to see how the Irish lads are going but I don't expect gaaboard to provide me with this information. There are plenty of sites and forums where you can get detailed information about the games if you want from the horses mouth (I use realfooty.com.au, BigFooty and the aussie papers). I think it should be moved. If you look at any of the Irish forums for soccer or rugby, they have the GAA discussion in a separate section to the main board. It's just common sense really.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnpower

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2008, 11:08:08 PM
Quote from: johnpower on July 12, 2008, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2008, 10:52:06 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 12, 2008, 08:40:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2008, 05:12:20 PM
Why isn't this thread on the non gaa section?

Was thinking that myself. Should be moved.

Moot point I'd say: wish that it were so, but the AFL has a very real relevance to the GAA at the minute, much more of a relevance than many of us are comfortable with.

Given the numbers heading to Oz and its potential to force the semi professionalism on the GAA it should be kept on the GAA side of the board

That is a separate issue to what actually happens in the games themselves. I follow the results to see how the Irish lads are going but I don't expect gaaboard to provide me with this information. There are plenty of sites and forums where you can get detailed information about the games if you want from the horses mouth (I use realfooty.com.au, BigFooty and the aussie papers). I think it should be moved.

I myself am a fan of Aussie Rules having lived there for a while .I am concerned with the impact it may have on the GAA .If a young player has an opportunity (or thinks he may have ) then how can the GAA keep them at home playing Gaa . I fear that some club/county will enter into some semi professional arrangement which maybe come the norm ,I do not have the answers but putting such a topic over to the other side of the board takes the focus off it

tyrone exile

are use serious? just think about what use are arguing about! who cares?

time ticking away

marty clarke is a superb footballer. what a loss to the gaa board
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Aerlik

Freo legend Shaun McManus plays his last game on Sunday against the Eagles and I just managed to get tickets for mini-me and I.  He's been at the club since the beginning and a big send-off is planned.  None better than stuffing the snobs would help. 

I see Setanta wasn't even featured in the Carlton set up for the game last weekend.  Is he injured or out of form?  Clarke has been average the past two weeks.  Hope he makes it to the last game of the normal season v. Freo in Perth. 

Swans looking a bit average at the wrong time of the year.  Oh dear, Hall's absence taking its toll.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

zoyler

Setanta is injured according to Carlton Board on Bigfooty

Jinxy

I dunno lads. For someone who used to religiously watch the highlights on TG4 and read the aussie rules forums, I find myself giving less and less of a ballix about the AFL these days. Haven't seen any highlights in weeks and I'm just not that fussed anymore to be honest. The novelty of following the progress of a handful of Irish players has worn off I think.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aerlik

Fair enough Jinxy, I know how you feel.  I used to religiously follow the sumo on the internet after 6 years of life in Japan, but pulled the pin for a while, but am reading it again.  Now that we have Setanta at home in Perth, I get my GAA fix several times a week with the championship and am looking forward to either Tipp or Waterford winning the hurling.  The cousin's cousin is the captain of the Tipp team.

There will be some interest I'm sure for a wee while to come in the AFL as the Irish make their names.  Clarke is in this week at RHB with Kennelly on the LHB position.  Spare a thought for David Rodan/Rogan (the Port Adelaide player).  He's from one of the Pacific Islands and is a national hero over in his home country.

Anyway, G'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Freo.

youbetterbelieveit

Do we have any members who are involved with AFL in Ireland? I see our national squad are playing in the International Cup over the next week. Also there is a number of clubs in Ireland, mainly in Dublin and a few scattered around the rest, Mullingar and Cork really, However none up north, I thought there was one in belfast?

In the Onion Bag

I heard the AFL held a selection session on Saturday past somewhere in Mayo. 
Apparently they had attracted a good number of our most promising lads between ages 18 - 21. Any further info on this?

JimStynes

Pav, Jako back International Rules return
FREMANTLE captain Matthew Pavlich and former West Coast All-Australian centre half-back Glen Jakovich have backed the return of International Rules and say players and fans should get behind the series.

Pavlich said representing his country was one of the highlights of his career, one he would be honoured to repeat at Subiaco and the MCG this October, provided his body was willing.

"It's the kind of pride that as an AFL footballer I rarely get to show," Pavich wrote in his regular column on afl.com.au.
"The opportunity to represent my country in the 2002 and 2003 International Rules series was one of the most privileged, humbling and satisfying experiences I have had in my nine years of football."

Jakovich, Australia's goalkeeper in the 2003 series against the Irish, said the experience provided a career highlight before his retirement from competitive sport the following year.

A Western Australian representative at the age of 17, he said the demise of State of Origin football gave him extra incentive to strive for national representation late in his career.

"At the end of the day, I treated it very seriously, extremely seriously [given] that I'm playing for my country. And I'm representing myself and my club in the West Coast Eagles," Jakovich said.

The speed of the game in front of a packed house at Subiaco added to the adrenalin rush of playing for the green and gold.
"The excitement and the atmosphere at Subiaco – I'll never forget it," Jakovich said. "The noise, the roar. And it became nation versus nation, and it's something I've always thrived on, the 'us versus them' mentality."

More than 100,000 people attended the Subiaco and MCG matches in 2003 to witness Australia's first series win on home soil.
The 41,000-strong crowd at Subiaco saw the unlikely teaming of Fremantle's Pavlich and Paul Hasleby with West Coast Eagles Jakovich and David Wirrpanda; an experience Pavlich said was unique in bonding fans of both teams.

Jakovich said seeing local talent go head-to-head would again draw fans to Subiaco, but above all, the Australia versus Ireland rivalry would produce a great show.

"It's a fun night out," he said. "It's a great spectacle, you get to see the Irish – how passionate they are. The seriousness of some amateur footballers, which they are, you see them they don't even flinch to take on boys that are bigger, stronger..."

"I think they set a very good example, their patriotism for their country."

Ticketing information:

Tickets to the International Rules Series will be on sale to the general public through Ticketmaster at 9am (local time) on Monday 25th August.
For the game at Subiaco Oval, members of the AFL, Fremantle, the West Coast Eagles and other AFL Clubs will have priority access to purchase tickets from 9am (WST) Thursday, August 21 until 5pm Sunday, August 24.

f**k id love to see big pavlich play in the rules series again. He is a serious player. IMO probably in the top 3 players in the competition.

Collingwood had a good win against the swans lastnight. Marty kicked a goal and kennelly had a good game. Buddy is going to have to wait to next week to kick his 100 goal for the season. He only needs 2 more to do it.

Aerlik

Gwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan  Freo...

well next year anyway.   A good but scrappy win over the most hated team in the contest, the Pies.  I couldn't make the game due to work commitments. But damnit I'm happy we beat them, Marty or no Marty.

Pavlich is a wile lump of a man.  I'd love to see Jeff Farmer (my favourite) play for Aus. in Perth.  That'll make for interesting comments from the fans in Perth.

The end of a very, very disappointing season for Freo.  Ah well, there's always next year.

Proud, loyal, passionate, Freo, Freo.

Aerlik

The finals start tonight.  All the very best to Tadhg and Marty (it really hurts to say that as he is a Pies player, but anyway).  Doubtful if anyone will come anywhere near Geelong.

I'm still in mourning with the retirement of Jeff Farmer.  Wiz the king. :'(

stephenite

Only 16,000 tickets sold for the Swans elemination final against North Melbourne tomorrow apparently.

RedandGreenSniper

Having games in Homebush is a bad idea. Poor atmosphere, most fans are too far away from the game and need to keep looking at replays on the screen to see what happens. BY the time some fans stop celebrating a score, other fans are only realising that it was a goal. Pity it wasn't in the SCG.

I've a sneaking feeling that Kilda could cause an upset against Geelong. They're $5 odds. I'll throw 20 on them for the sake of it anyway
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year