Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2008, 02:13:13 PM
Dessie Dolan will be surprised he's been 'retired' too :D
thought he had ?
obv not!

AZOffaly

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2008, 02:40:15 PM
Not unless it's Dessie senior you mean.

:D was thinkin that meself AZ, now was Mattie's oul boy much of a footballer?

Don't Panic

Rudi

Quote from: stephenite on March 20, 2008, 01:13:57 PM
Never saw Dermot Earley play - by all accounts a mighty player. I struggled with the no.3 jersey for ages l, never thought of Quinn and it's a good shout, tried to think of a Leitrim man to put in and I couldn't. I'd be happy to drop Forde for Quinn

Think it's a bit harsh to label Kevin Walshe and Liam as donkeys in fairness!!

Donkeys is unfair, they were talented players so point taken. Still would not have either of them on the team, Seamie O Neill as a gasun of 19 ate Walsh alive down in Tuam (what a day) Mannion at 4 is also a good call, ahead of Enon. Willie Joes shots & passes were a bit wild all right, what do you guys think of John Netwon or Declan Darcy? - probably not good enough.

Not the right thread but two players I greatly admired down Mayo way (both never really made it) was Padraig Brogan & Kevin Staunton of Knockmore.

Puckoon

1. Aiden Skelton
2. Kieran McKeever
3. Tony Scullion
4. Fay Devlin
5. Conor Gormley
6. Downey
7. Damien Freeman
8. Anthony Tohill (captain
9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Brian Dooher
11. Brian McGuigan
12. James McCartan
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Stephen O'Neill

Thats a tough one to he happy with no matter who you pick. Anthony tohill is the obvious choice at captain - a real leader of the pack. Hard to leave McGeeney out - I thought about putting downey at wing half back and McGeeney at centre half back - but todays game requires overly mobile wing half backs. Dissapointed that I couldnt find room for my childhood idol - Pascal Canavan. I think that that is one hell of a forward line- especially the full forwards.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Rudi on March 20, 2008, 03:00:42 PM
Never saw Dermot Earley play - by all accounts a mighty player. I struggled with the no.3 jersey for ages l, never thought of Quinn and it's a good shout, tried to think of a Leitrim man to put in and I couldn't. I'd be happy to drop Forde for Quinn

Donkeys is unfair, they were talented players so point taken. Still would not have either of them on the team, Seamie O Neill as a gasun of 19 ate Walsh alive down in Tuam (what a day) Mannion at 4 is also a good call, ahead of Enon. Willie Joes shots & passes were a bit wild all right, what do you guys think of John Netwon or Declan Darcy? - probably not good enough.

Not the right thread but two players I greatly admired down Mayo way (both never really made it) was Padraig Brogan & Kevin Staunton of Knockmore.
Brogan was a fantastic player in the early part of his career but probably never quite fulfilled his ultimate potential at senior level.  Staunton was an average enough county player IMO.  They were both part of a very strong Knockmore side during the nineties including Ray Dempsey, Kevin O'Neill and Peter Butler.  I remember seeing them absolutely destroy Eire Og from Carlow in an All Ireland club semi final in Mullingar one year. Probably should have won a club All Ireland around that time.

unforgiven

How have Derry ever won anything at intercounty level?
Not one forward anywhere near making a 'Great' team

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2008, 11:54:12 AM
Quote from: Hound on March 20, 2008, 11:37:49 AM
      - Stephen Cluxton -
Robbie O'Malley - Darren Fay - Mick Kennedy
Paul Curran - Keith Barr - Martin O'Connell
- Brian Mullins - Gerry McEntee -
Ciaran Whelan - Matt Connor - Kieran Duff
Charlie Redmond - Colm O'Rourke - Bernard Flynn

Ciaran Whelan hound? (Not picking, just interested, especially at half forward). I was toying with the idea of Kieran Duff myself.
I know he gets a lot of stick on here, but I've seen Whelan carry Dublin teams that often over the last 12 years that I couldnt not pick him as one of the best 15 Leinster players I've seen in the flesh since I started going to games in 1981 (though I've got very few in my team from the early 80s as the oul memory isnt as good from back then!) .

Uladh

I don't think Damien Freeman has ever played for Ulster?

Puckoon

I dont think he has to Uladh - just be from the provice.

tyroneboi

1 Neil Collins

2 Kieran McKeever  3 Tony Scullion     4 Sean Martin Lockhart

5 Conor Gornley     6 Henry Downey   7 Kieran McGeeney

8 Gregory McCartan       9 Anthony Tohill

10 Brian Dooher    11 Brian McGuigan   12 James McCartan

13 Mickey Linden   14 Stephen O'Neill  15 Peter Canavan

Subs:
16 Finbar McConnell
17 Fay Devlin
18 Francie Bellew
19 Sean Cavanagh
20 Enda Gormley
21 Ross Carr
22 Oisin McConville
23 Steven McDonnell
24 Gerard Cavlan

Uladh

Quote from: Puckoon on March 20, 2008, 03:50:28 PM
I dont think he has to Uladh - just be from the provice.

sure puckoon. its just unusual for lads to be selecting somone for an all time interpro team who's never actually been selected for the province.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 20, 2008, 01:53:51 PM

You just picked my team Stephenite!!  Quinn for Ford and Tomas Mannion for Enon Gavin are the only two changes I would make to your selection

Gay Sheerin - Roscommon
Kenneth Mortimer - Mayo
Michael Quinn - Leitrim
Tomas Mannion - Galway
Deccie Meehan - Galway
James Nallen - Mayo
Sean Og De Paor - Galway
Kevin Walshe - Galway
Liam McHale - Mayo
Eammon O'Hara - Sligo
Ciaran McDonald - Mayo
Michael Donnellan - Galway
Ja Fallon - Galway
Padraig Joyce - Galway
Tony McManus - Roscommon

Walsh and McHale are well ahead of Willie Joe as orthodox midfielders go.  Yeah, sure Willie could field a ball but jaysus his distribution was brutal at times.  Didn't see enough of Earley to pick hime here.

I think that's more or less the team I would pick. never saw Dermot Earley is his pomp and personally I would rate Walsh and McHale above Willie Joe.

cornafean

Quote from: Uladh on March 20, 2008, 04:07:31 PM
its just unusual for lads to be selecting somone for an all time interpro team who's never actually been selected for the province.

Tyrone's Paul Donnelly almost made it on to my Ulster selection. I'm not sure that he ever played for Ulster. I'm convinced that Tyrone would have won the All Ireland Final in 1995 had he not been sitting on the bench for the guts of an hour that day - no better man at laying quality ball into Peter Canavan.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Gold

1. Sean McGreevy
2. Kieran McKeever
3. Barry Owens (Has had some great games such as v Armagh 2004)
4. Fay Devlin (like McKeever--made for corner back)
5. Martin McHugh (slipped him in there-im sure he could do a job flying up and down the wing)
6. Conor Gormley (tough choice, last person i picked on team--great player with maybe more to come)
7. Philip Jordan (hard to stop when flying and with two All-Irelands its hard to argue)
8. Anthony Tohill (The best)
9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Mickey Linden
11. Brian McGuigan
12. Dermot McCabe (awesome in late 90's at his peak)
13. Steven McDonnell
14. Ronan Clarke (at his best a la 2002, in the team to flick the ball down to the corner-men)
15. Peter Canavan

16. Mickey McVeigh
17. Stephen O'Neill
18. Paddy Bradley
19. Enda Gormley
20. Brian McGilligan
21. Henry Downey
22. Tony Scullion(didnt see him enough but 4 allstars says he makes the squad!)
23. Pascal Canavan (powerful workrate)
24. Greg Blaney (same as Scullion although only the 2 allstars i think?!)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."