The Greats you've seen - Gaaboard Railway Cup

Started by stephenite, March 20, 2008, 04:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

No Matt Connor Dinny? Wow. That's a big call. (He's not from Munster you know :D)

Dinny Breen

QuoteNo Matt Connor Dinny? Wow. That's a big call. (He's not from Munster you know)

He's worse, he's a biffo  ;D

Never saw him live in the flesh only on TV and even then not old enough to appreciate his talent. I assume you had to see them play in the flesh??? Can I include Jack O'Shea on the Leinster team because I actually played against him when played for Leixlip....
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

QuoteNo Matt Connor Dinny? Wow. That's a big call. (He's not from Munster you know )

I can only presume Dinny didn't see him in the flesh AZ. I'm finding it really difficult to pick either a national or provincial team, so I think I might just spend my time nit picking at other fellas teams  ;)

AZOffaly

Ah. I see. I thought you were older than me :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on March 20, 2008, 12:23:33 PM
QuoteNo Matt Connor Dinny? Wow. That's a big call. (He's not from Munster you know )

I can only presume Dinny didn't see him in the flesh AZ. I'm finding it really difficult to pick either a national or provincial team, so I think I might just spend my time nit picking at other fellas teams  ;)

Yeah, it's a great aul' topic for discussion. I think I might float this down in Kerry at the weekend :D

Rudi

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 20, 2008, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: stephenite on March 20, 2008, 04:15:57 AM
AZ mentioned it on the other thread, impossible to pick one from the entire country so the only rule is you have to have seen them play in the flesh and you can only nominate for your own province.

Connacht :

Gay Sheerin - Roscommon
Kenneth Mortimer - Mayo
Peter Forde - Mayo
Enon Gavin - Roscommon
Deccie Meehan - Galway
James Nallen - Mayo
Sean Og De Paor - Galway
Kevin Walshe - Galway
Liam McHale - Mayo
Eammon O'Hara - Sligo
Ciaran McDonald - Mayo
Michael Donnellan - Galway
Ja Fallon - Galway
Padraig Joyce - Galway
Tony McManus - Roscommon

Tried to be fair, had to put Ja at 13 just to fit both him and O'Hara in. Bloody harder than I thought
A good selection but having seen the great Dermot Earley playing for Roscommon in his later years i would have to stick him in also Noel Tierney playing for the herring chokers...always broke Mayo hearts.

Would agree that its a decent selection, Earley overlooked at midfield for 2 big donkeys? & Forde at fullback would be very questionable. Leitrim had an excellent fullback about 6 years ago, his name escapes me (think it was Quinn) . Would have Earley & surely the inspirational Willie Joe (jaysus that man could field a ball) at midfield, other than that its a good selection, although that Mortimor lad is a cocky boll*x. Great to see Tony Mc on the team, mighty footballer, extremely underrated outside the county.

stephenite

Never saw Dermot Earley play - by all accounts a mighty player. I struggled with the no.3 jersey for ages l, never thought of Quinn and it's a good shout, tried to think of a Leitrim man to put in and I couldn't. I'd be happy to drop Forde for Quinn

Think it's a bit harsh to label Kevin Walshe and Liam as donkeys in fairness!!

lynchbhoy

picked no current players - though some mentioned would not figure on my selections. Hard to pick as you tend to go for scorers rather than pick a balanced team.
anyhow here goes - Leinster and Ulster

John O'Leary

Mick kennedy
Mick Lyons
Seamus Dowling (Kildare)

Paul Curran
Liam harnan
Martin O'Connell

John Costello (Laois)
Gerry mcentee

Trevor Giles
Kevin O'Brien
Dessie Dolan

Mattie Forde
Matt Connor
Dessie Barry

Mickey McVeigh

Kieran McKeever
Matt Gallagher
Tony Scullion

Henry Downey
Martin Gavigan
Donal Reid

Anthony Tohill
Neil Smyth

Greg Blaney
Eugene McKenna
James McCartan

Mickey Linden
Tony Boyle
Peter Canavan

stephenite

Quote from: stephenite on March 20, 2008, 01:13:57 PM
Never saw Dermot Earley play - by all accounts a mighty player. I struggled with the no.3 jersey for ages l, never thought of Quinn and it's a good shout, tried to think of a Leitrim man to put in and I couldn't. I'd be happy to drop Forde for Quinn

I've also just realised that I picked Tomas Mannion on my best team ever from the entire country and left him out of my best provincial team :-[

Hmm - apologies to Enon Gavin who makes way

tbrick18

Ulster:

Fergal McCusker
Tony Scullion
Kieran Mckeever
Shaun Marty Lochart
Kieran McGeeny
Henry Downey
Freeman (Monaghan....Tommy's brother but cant remember his first name)
Anthony Tohill
Paul McGrane
Greg Blaney
Ross Carr
Brian Dooher
Peter Canavan
Declan Bonnar (The Ginger Bomber)
Mickey Linden

passedit

Fergal was a versatile enough footballer, wouldn't have had him down as a keeper though.
Don't Panic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: stephenite on March 20, 2008, 01:13:57 PM

You just picked my team Stephenite!!  Quinn for Ford and Tomas Mannion for Enon Gavin are the only two changes I would make to your selection

Gay Sheerin - Roscommon
Kenneth Mortimer - Mayo
Michael Quinn - Leitrim
Tomas Mannion - Galway
Deccie Meehan - Galway
James Nallen - Mayo
Sean Og De Paor - Galway
Kevin Walshe - Galway
Liam McHale - Mayo
Eammon O'Hara - Sligo
Ciaran McDonald - Mayo
Michael Donnellan - Galway
Ja Fallon - Galway
Padraig Joyce - Galway
Tony McManus - Roscommon

Walsh and McHale are well ahead of Willie Joe as orthodox midfielders go.  Yeah, sure Willie could field a ball but jaysus his distribution was brutal at times.  Didn't see enough of Earley to pick hime here.

passedit

Lynchbhoy i'm sure Mattie Forde appreciates the vote of confidence.

Quotepicked no current players - though some mentioned would not figure on my selections. Hard to pick as you tend to go for scorers rather than pick a balanced team.
anyhow here goes - Leinster and Ulster

anyways again excluding Down who would obviously win such a competition on their own

1 B Mc Alinden
2 M Gallagher
3 T Scullion
4 K Mc Keever
5 H Downey
6 K Mc Geeney
7 C Gormley
8 E Mc Kenna
9 A Tohill
10 P Mc Ginnity
11 M Mc Hugh
12 D Marsden