Referee Attacked in Dublin Hurling Game

Started by dublinfella, March 17, 2008, 02:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

This is getting out of hand - is it time for stewards and Gardai at all GAA games? I cant remember the last time it happened in another sport.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/top-referee-assaulted-at--hurling-match-1319473.html

Top referee assaulted at hurling match

Monday March 17 2008

A LEADING Dublin referee was the victim of a vicious assault that forced the abandonment of a junior hurling league match over the weekend, writes COLM KEYS.

Eamonn Morris, a respected inter-county hurling official, was taking charge of the match between St Sylvester's and Kevins in Malahide on Saturday when he was struck by an angry Kevins 'fan' and left with a serious nose injury.

The incident took place in the second half of the game and Morris immediately made the decision to abandon proceedings. He later had the extent of the damage checked out in hospital.

The Dublin County Board will launch an immediate investigation into the incident once the details of Morris's report are with them and Kevins will be pressed for the identity of the supporter who came on to the pitch to confront the referee.

Surreal Steve

Is this a Dublin problem or a wider problem

dublinfella

Quote from: Surreal Steve on March 17, 2008, 02:42:23 PM
Is this a Dublin problem or a wider problem

Wider. There were at least 8 high profile pitch incursions last season, many of them ended in injury to players and refs.

thejuice

lifetime bans and criminal prosecution in order here, scumbags
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

dublinfella

Quote from: thejuice on March 17, 2008, 02:55:46 PM

I'll give you any odds the Kevins officials and players have no idea whatsoever who this bloke was.

BennyHarp

This is ridiculous - the club involved should be forced to name the person involved or be kicked out of every competition for the next 3 years! Attacks like this on officials is, in my opinion the worst crime there is in GAA and should be dealt with as such! If people dont name the person involved they should be made to in court and prosecuted!!
That was never a square ball!!

thejuice

Quote from: dublinfella on March 17, 2008, 02:57:12 PM
Quote from: thejuice on March 17, 2008, 02:55:46 PM

I'll give you any odds the Kevins officials and players have no idea whatsoever who this bloke was.

Well if the Gardai are involved they might be done for obstructing justice. Dont know how anyone would protect a kn**ker like that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on March 17, 2008, 02:37:50 PM
This is getting out of hand - is it time for stewards and Gardai at all GAA games? I cant remember the last time it happened in another sport.

You don't remember the assault on David McHugh? Or that on Herbert Fandel?

(Incidentally, it shouldn't need saying but I'm not making light of what happened to Eamonn Morris. The incident was evil enough in itself without implying that it's unique to the GAA.)

go4goal

It's a disgrace that this is so widespread and almost is becoming the 'norm'. The gaa needs to step in and severely punish the supporter and if the club doesn't name and shame him the club should also be banned.

neilthemac

why do these incidents from gaa games only get reported??

there are lots of similar incidents from others sports that go unreported

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on March 17, 2008, 06:20:01 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 17, 2008, 02:37:50 PM

You don't remember the assault on David McHugh? Or that on Herbert Fandel?

(Incidentally, it shouldn't need saying but I'm not making light of what happened to Eamonn Morris. The incident was evil enough in itself without implying that it's unique to the GAA.)

the difference is that in both those cases immediate bans were put in place, and the soccer one a hugely punitve and financially costly stadium restriction for the Danes as well.

can you see that happening here?

dublinfella

Quote from: neilthemac on March 17, 2008, 06:53:23 PM
why do these incidents from gaa games only get reported??

there are lots of similar incidents from others sports that go unreported

I knew someone would blame the media.

I cannot ever recall a referee being attacked at any other Irish sporting events.

Sky Blue

Outrageous! The club should carry the can if the individual doesn't step forward. No one in there their right mind will ever come forward as a referee if this guy gets away with punching the ref in the face. Why on earth would you do it??

Zulu

QuoteI knew someone would blame the media.

No-one is blaming the media but refs have been attacked in every sport all over the world by both players and supporters. It's shameful but hardly confined to the GAA, in saying that the GAA should take assault cases against anyone found guilty of this type of behaviour.

Square Ball

there should be no reason whatsoever to punch a ref, end of story. they have a hard enough time without the fear of violence hanging over them. For god sake its difficult to get young referees without this happening.

I hope the club takes the moral ground and names and shames this thug.

How do you know there are similar incidents in other sports if they go unreported?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid