Vermin

Started by Uladh, March 06, 2008, 12:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

I don't use my office much but i have some sort of yoke steppin about when i'm not there mouse or rat. there's droppings everywhere... small black things. haven't seen the feckers yet but i know they're there. how do i know which i have and any advice on getting rid?

AZOffaly

Small droppings, like a couple of mil each is a mouse. Is it a house, or when you say office, do you mean a work place office?

If it's a house, you can put traps, humane or lethal, down along the skirting boards, because mice will keep to the edges of the room unless they have to. If there's book shelves or anything, put the traps along there as well.

Chances are it's mice, and as the weather gets better, they'll be scattering out to the fields again soon enough.

I used the humane traps last winter, and when I caught them, I put them out in the ditch. Never came back. I caught about 5, so there was probably 15 in the house, but they all left in the spring, and haven't come back this year.

5 Sams

Dig up some scandal on his son and the rest of his mates will get rid of him for you. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

bingobus

I had a visitor in the kitchen a few months back, like yous droppings appeared and one night half asleep making the childs bottle seen him fly past on the floor.

I set up the childs monitor in the kitchen to see where he was getting in out and then set a few traps (them click ones with a bit of butter as bait). Caught him second night, blocked his doorway and put one of those sonic noise yokes on. No bother since.

If you want to see what you have, get one of those camera monitors, great job with the night vision but it might disturb you if its the big boys!!

Uladh

small droppings like az says. its an office in the town which i might not be in for days at a time, sometimes longer. i keep finding holes in plasti bags and bin liners etc. whats this sonic craic?

Better not be rats! whaddya do if it is?

Treasurer

Quote from: Uladh on March 06, 2008, 12:29:05 PM

small droppings like az says. its an office in the town which i might not be in for days at a time, sometimes longer. i keep finding holes in plasti bags and bin liners etc. whats this sonic craic?

Better not be rats! whaddya do if it is?

The sonic thing isn't much good to get them out if they've already settled, but seems to be a big help in preventing them settling if you use it when the weather starts to turn cold and they start looking for heat.

AZOffaly

If it's rats, then you'll have to call a pest controller, Rentokill or someone. Them bastards are bad hoors.

Sounds like it's mice though. Mice will only nibble on stuff, and cause you 'irritation'. They can also die, which is not pleasant if they start rotting behind studded partition walls or something.

I'd say lay a few traps, but don't use the humane ones if you won't be looking in every day. They'll die of heart failure in that case, and it's a bit cruel.

I'd say lay the lethal traps, and plug in the sonic deterrants, even though I never found them to be too good. I actually saw a mouse in our bedroom, sitting under the sonic thing when it was on. Allegedly the pitch of it will keep them away because it's unpleasant for them.

themanwhowasntthere

Can you get anything to deal effectively with people who clog up the Antrim threads on this site, particularly the species "ego mcgourtycus" ???

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on March 06, 2008, 08:16:48 PM
The sonic deterrent things doesn't actually annoy the rats/mice, all it does is block out other noise for them. Thats why they won't settle anywhere with a sonic deterrent, its too dangerous for them cuz they cant hear predators(cats, owls, etc) sneaking up on them. But if they are already settled in a place and then you put a sonic deterrent in, it won't bother them too much cuz they'll already know whether or not the area is safe for them.

Thats why they're called sonic deterrents and not sonic eliminators or something like that.

Ive got one in my house and it annoys them with some sound so they won't settle or so they told me when I bought it anyway. 
I haven't had anything since I got it so I can only assume it's working.

You may set a few traps uladh.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Fishbat

Quote from: bingobus on March 06, 2008, 12:22:04 PM
I had a visitor in the kitchen a few months back, like yous droppings appeared and one night half asleep making the childs bottle seen him fly past on the floor.

I set up the childs monitor in the kitchen to see where he was getting in out and then set a few traps (them click ones with a bit of butter as bait). Caught him second night, blocked his doorway and put one of those sonic noise yokes on. No bother since.

If you want to see what you have, get one of those camera monitors, great job with the night vision but it might disturb you if its the big boys!!

I love the way we speak of mice in whispers - the "Visitors" has that dreaded feel about it  - still some sort of social stigma about having a moose loose about the hoose!

If its a rat, as Chief of Amity police would say - you're gonna need a bigger trap

A Quinn Martin Production

Had a bit of trouble with mice in the house...the local rat catcher said that one way to tell if it was rats or mice was that mice crap on the move whereas rats go back to the same place to crap :-\
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Gabriel_Hurl

whay about drowning them in a bucket of water and bleach?

J70

Quote from: Uladh on March 06, 2008, 12:13:49 PM

I don't use my office much but i have some sort of yoke steppin about when i'm not there mouse or rat. there's droppings everywhere... small black things. haven't seen the feckers yet but i know they're there. how do i know which i have and any advice on getting rid?

There can be no confusion over mouse and rat droppings. Rat ones are as big as raisins.

The common rats in Ireland are Norway or brown rats (Rattus norvegicus). Unless you live on Lambay Island or in a warehouse on the docks, you won't come across the black/ship/roof rat (Rattus rattus).

Fishbat

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 06, 2008, 09:50:50 PM
whay about drowning them in a bucket of water and bleach?

whats the bleach for? the aul waters good gear for the drowning

Ye could always put the mice to good use - catch them alive and use them as livebait for Pike - just shove a hook through his snout and fire him into the drink, and if ye don't tempt a pike then sure ye'll have drowned him anyways, everyones a winner baby