Glass Ankles

Started by BennyHarp, March 03, 2008, 09:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

I wonder can anyone give me advice! I have damaged ligaments in my both my ankles over the past 10 years or so and now feel very weak in that area every time i try to run especially when twisting and turning on the grass! Yesterday i managed to roll on my ankle for the third time in a month! Nothing too serious but enough to have me hobbling for a few days and have to pull out of training! Does anyone have any methods/ideas on how to build up strength in my ankles - i've tried a few things but they dont seem to have the desired effect! I also wish to avoid wearing those big ankle straps for as long as i can, as i find them very uncomfortable to play in!
That was never a square ball!!

Rick O Shea

have you tried balancing on one foot with you eyes closed - i found this a great help when coming back from ankle injuries. 

thejuice

As Rick said, thats what I was advised. Also dont ever wear blades, they are responsible for alot of ankle injuries.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stpauls

i have done the same Benny, but from playing basketball, and luckily haven't had a major roll when playing the football.
the first time i really did mine bad, the physio told me to buying a piece of elastic tubing, and use it to strengthen my feet by carrying out a few different exercises!!
if i can find some on the internet i need i will post the link or pics for you, but it was a great help to me!

BennyHarp

Quotehave you tried balancing on one foot with you eyes closed - i found this a great help when coming back from ankle injuries.

Cheers lads, Yeah, the frist time i damaged my ankle the physio recommended doing that, but it doesnt appear to have helped, maybe i'm not doing enough of it!!

Quotei have done the same Benny, but from playing basketball, and luckily haven't had a major roll when playing the football.
the first time i really did mine bad, the physio told me to buying a piece of elastic tubing, and use it to strengthen my feet by carrying out a few different exercises!!
if i can find some on the internet i need i will post the link or pics for you, but it was a great help to me!

That sounds interesting St Pauls - let me know if you find anything about it - thanks!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rick O Shea on March 03, 2008, 09:47:22 AM
have you tried balancing on one foot with you eyes closed - i found this a great help when coming back from ankle injuries. 

this is Def a help.

rem to do both ankles - as if you strengthen one, the other will mre than likely 'go'.

balance for 1 min with eyes closed, at least three times a day - three or four times on each ankle in each session.

then walk forwards and backwards on your tip toes for a min - again a few times each session.

The final thing , the 'wobble board'
I never used the fecking thing.
Just did the balancing/walking exercise and found they were enough.

I dont rate those big ankle lace up things.

Always found a couple of good long bandages wrapped in a 'figure of S' around both ankles did the trick.
Dont wrap too tight - as you will stop the blood supply, but certainly tight at the sides to restrict movement.

Keep doing the stretches as the ankles get weaker the more you wear supports.
Don wear doc marten boots, basketball boots or any other kind of boot that 'supports' your ankles, you will only let them get weaker by doing so.

Declan

As well as all the advice given above try and get to see a podiatrtist (foot doctor) - I suffered for years with dodgy ankles - guaranteed to do them once/twice a season until I was assessed. Turns out my alignment from my legs to ankles was wonky and got measured and plaster casted for orthotics- never looked back - ppity I dodn't do it earlier.

Billys Boots

All the above is good, just make sure to do them for both ankles.

You can also strengthen the calf-muscles to support the ligaments - stand on one leg, get your balance, then raise up on your toes and hold for a second, then drop back down, but do not touch your heel on the floor, then raise up on the toes again and hold for a second.  Repeat as often as you can (without putting your heel back on the floor) - you should be able to get to 30-35 repeats before the burning starts. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

Cheers lads, i'll give them a go! Lynchbhoy, think i'll try the sessions you suggested! Heres hoping for an improvement!!

Main Street

Benny, there might be no harm with looking for another physio.
With your problems you should be on a range of exercises designed to strenghten the outside ankle muscles as well as your stability.
Does your physio go with you into a properly equipped gym and go over how to use aids such as balance wobble boards, trampettes, stretching exercises and stuff you can do at home.
A good one should also be able to determine the state of your joint and the shape of your foot.

heganboy

Just like to jump in a recommend the wobble board, it actually addresses the problem, the strapping does no good whatsoever long term, and in fact increases your tendency to go over on them when you're not fully strapped.

just a note to say that orthotics can be a big help if you have bad arches, lessens the strain in the ankle
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

his holiness nb

Combination of bad arches and blades have my ankles like rubber.

Both done about 6-7 times each.

Funny nobody pointed out these problems till I was too old and the ankles were too wrecked to change anything.

At this stage I depend on the ankle braces, you can get decent nike ones in argos that hold even the most bolloxed of ankles without to much restriction of movement.

No point taking a chance without them, at my age one more injury would be the end of my playing days.

Ask me holy bollix

Bensars

Get yourself a wobble board.  Can easily be made also.

I have used these myself on more than one occassion and found them very good

£17 at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physio-Supplies-PBBOARD3-Wobble-Board/dp/B000W08Z9G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1204579877&sr=8-2

stiffler

Whats the best strapping you can get for a weak ankle?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009