Road deaths

Started by MaroonAndWhite, February 28, 2008, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

na cleirigh

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 24, 2009, 03:39:12 PM
have to agree, some of the driving on the roads is shocking.
even some of the tings tyou see people do on the way down to a game amazes me, with rash over taking and the like.Its not just boy racers either, we are talking about middle aged men/women with their families in the car out fo a day out at croke park.
if you cant take the time out to give up a whole day to go to a game with out rushing to/from the game endangering you and everyone else, then stay at home.
the atitude towards drink driving by alot of people pisses me off aswell, how some people can still see it as aceptable behaviour is beyond me

This really boils my blood as well. I have a friend who said to me 'I'm taking it easy tonight cause I'm driving so I'm only drinking bottles'. Don't be drinking anything if your driving you muppet.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

fitzroyalty

Coming into Poyntpass today i saw some f**king idiot in a landrover with a trailer overtake approaching a blind bend. Beggars belief, especially when you consider just hours before 4 lives were lost on up the road  >:(

Son_of_Sam

Has anyone else noticed this that Young drivers speed, middle aged ones drink drive & old ones never learned the rules of the road, yes I know this a minority of each.

The amount of times I have been driving behind an elderly or older driver who is doing just say 70klm p/hr on a 100klm p/hr road, I'm doing say 90-100klm and decide I am going to overtake, then out of the blue while I have my indicators on they turn right, right across the road into a side road, then indicate 5 yards down the road to let me know they have turned. They seem to think its etiquette not a warning , they obviously have not checked behind them either or they would have saw me indicate, would they have still turned if I was overtaking them, probably.

Lucky that I drive under the speed limit & lower if its appropriate, but what chance would that person had, if a boyracer was overtaking them at 120-140klm, I could slow and react but some of those twats haven't a hope in hell of stopping.

maggie

Three people have died after a road accident in County Down.

Two cars collided on the Killinchy Road near Comber shortly after midnight. Two men and a woman travelling in one of the cars were killed.

Their names have not yet been released, but it is understood one of the men was from Killyleagh and the woman from Downpatrick.

It was the third crash on the road in the last month.

One of the cars was left very badly damaged in the crash - part of it ending up in a field - while the other was much less so.

The road is likely to be closed for most of the morning between the Tullymagee Road and Quarry Road junctions.

Strangford MP Iris Robinson said she was deeply saddened by the accident.

This stretch of road is especially perilous and there have been several fatal accidents on it

Councillor Joe Boyle
"The roads around Comber can be very dangerous at this time of year, especially in the dark," she said.

"I appeal to anyone travelling at anytime of the day to be very careful on these roads as we do not want to see anymore fatalities this year."

Alliance Party assembly member Kieran McCarthy said the deaths were "heartbreaking".

"This is simply devastating for the families of those who died in this tragedy and the community is reeling at this horrendous news.

"Three more families will be without treasured loved ones this Christmas," he said.

SDLP councillor Joe Boyle said: "This stretch of road is especially perilous and there have been several fatal accidents on it.

"I urge the Roads Service to investigate, as a matter of urgency, this route and determine whether any further precautions can be taken to prevent any further loss of life."

Just saw this on the BBC website-horrific.
One of the cars, half of it was 30 metres away in a field.
The carnage on our roads is getting worse.

Doogie Browser

Terrible tragedy alright Maggie, did anyone see newsline the other night also?  The hit and run in Mullaghbawn where the woman was carried for 150 Metres up the road by the car!

gerry

just heard they were young lads who crashed while overtaking a tractor.  may they Rest In Peace

Two killed in Tyrone road crash

Two people have been killed in a car crash just outside Omagh in County Tyrone.

It happened on the Killyclogher Road, close to Main Road, at about 1500 GMT on Thursday.

It is understand a third person has been seriously injured. Police have not released any details about the two people who died.

Part of the road remains closed following the crash.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

armaghniac

A notable statistic is that fatalities in the Republic were 240 last year, down 39 from 2008. In the North the fatality rate was up to 115. This means that the rate per 100,000 is about one sixth lower in the South and is the same as the UK generally. I am not sure if this happened before, but if it did it was a long time ago. it is all a big improvement on the 1970s when 600+ were killed in the South when the population was lower and there were many fewer cars. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

randomtask

Quote from: gerry on January 07, 2010, 07:11:20 PM
just heard they were young lads who crashed while overtaking a tractor.  may they Rest In Peace

Two killed in Tyrone road crash

Two people have been killed in a car crash just outside Omagh in County Tyrone.

It happened on the Killyclogher Road, close to Main Road, at about 1500 GMT on Thursday.

It is understand a third person has been seriously injured. Police have not released any details about the two people who died.

Part of the road remains closed following the crash.

two young lads who played for killyclogher at minor level R.I.P

gerry

another death on our roads. when you read the story it makes you think whats life all about

Father loses last child in County Tyrone lorry crash
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Aerlik

there are shocking statistics for road deaths over here.  DUI is a major contributor but speed is the main factor.  Then again, when you are able to get insurance for a v8 6-litre car at 18, it doesn't take alot of einsteins to wonder why.  Western Australia has big, wide, straight roads and too many dipsticks driving like they're fcukin invincible.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Another road death this evening just outside Meigh in South Armagh. Crazy stuff so far this year and all the road safety folk seem to want to do is place speed vans at Banbridge and Dromore on what are now practically the safest sections of road in the North since the flyovers were put in

Nally Stand

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on January 17, 2014, 09:58:03 PM
Another road death this evening just outside Meigh in South Armagh. Crazy stuff so far this year and all the road safety folk seem to want to do is place speed vans at Banbridge and Dromore on what are now practically the safest sections of road in the North since the flyovers were put in

Patsy McCreesh. A brother of Ray, who died on Hunger Strike. RIP.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

THE MIGHTY QUINN

A decent man. His partner Liz is the mother of Ciaron O'Hanlon the young Killeavy and Armagh footballer. It's tragic. RIP