Road deaths

Started by MaroonAndWhite, February 28, 2008, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Pedestrian killed in Galway road crash
Wednesday, 27 February 2008 22:53
A pedestrian has been killed in a road accident on the outskirts of Galway city.
The man was struck by a car while walking at Oranswell on the Galway-Moycullen road shortly after 9.30pm.
Gardaí are urging motorists to avoid the area as a section of the road is now closed and diversions will remain in place for several hours.

Two die in Dublin & Cork crashes
Thursday, 28 February 2008 08:47
Two people have died in separate road accidents in Co Dublin and Co Cork.
A man died following a crash on the Naas Road, Baldonnell, at about 6.15pm last night.
The man's car hit a pole on the Naas Road and he was pronounced dead at Tallaght Hospital.
Gardaí are investigating.
Separately, a 35-year-old man died in a two-vehicle collision at Coachford, Co Cork, at about 7.30pm yesterday.
The crash happened at Roovesmore, on the Farran to Coachford Road.
A woman who was driving the car was taken to Cork University Hospital with minor injuries.

Jesus, another three people dead over-night, Lord Rest Them. I dont know whats going on.....if its drivers, roads, Road Safety Authority, Government or what is the root cause of all these unnecessary deaths by their actions or indeed, inaction. I know my own home county has had a ferocious time in the last fortnight with fatal road accidents. Whats the feeling on the board?

ardal

It is terrible.

You can widen roads, straighten bends, put in speed ramps, speed restrictions, increase cameras, and lots lots more, but at the end of day it's down to drivers driving safely. We drive too fast and dangerously, either we kill ourselves or some other innocent coming the other way.

ziggysego

The roads are far too dangerous. Rest in Peace to all the people who have lost their lives on the roads in recent days.
Testing Accessibility

MaroonAndWhite

Some of my work involves attending road accident scenes and some of the things I have heard from people in the emergency services would make sure you though twice before overtaking on a bend, picking up your phone, bending to pick something off the floor, whatever.......
I commute 55km to work every day and not a day has passed since I started the job that some I havent seen someone doing something stupid. 7.30am and lads with no lights on, dangerous overtaking, tailgating, whatever. I dont know does things have to hit close to home before some people will cop themselves on.......

guy crouchback

Quotesome of my work involves attending road accident scenes and some of the things I have heard from people in the emergency services would make sure you though twice before overtaking on a bend,

if you have to think twice about whither or not you should overtake on a bend you should not be on the road in the first place.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: guy crouchback on February 28, 2008, 12:48:17 PM
Quotesome of my work involves attending road accident scenes and some of the things I have heard from people in the emergency services would make sure you though twice before overtaking on a bend,

if you have to think twice about whither or not you should overtake on a bend you should not be on the road in the first place.

Yet people are doing it hand over fist...... Im not doing it, ive heard and seen too much to even think of doing it. And yes, anyone who does shouldn't be one the road but a driving test that lasts a half hour doesn't determine how a person will drive for the remaining 40/50 years on the road. Maybe some sort of refresher training every ten years on renewing the licence is the way forward? But I suppose they cant get rid the the backlog of tests in place now so how could they ever manage to do that?

J70

People are complacent. They take chances and think that it will be all right and that it will never happen to them.

Star Spangler

Would it be fair to say that around half of road deaths in Ireland are pedestrians?

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Star Spangler on February 28, 2008, 03:03:41 PM
Would it be fair to say that around half of road deaths in Ireland are pedestrians?

Statistics for 2006 below. Its worrying to see the percentage of car drivers fatally injured who were male.......74%.

Cars
In 2006, 226 car occupants were killed in collisions accounting for 62 per cent of
all fatalities, and an additional 5,798 were injured. Sixty-five per cent of car
occupants killed were drivers and 20 per cent were front seat passengers. Most of
the car drivers killed were male (74 per cent).
Twenty-five per cent of car drivers and 9 per cent of front seat car passengers
involved in fatal collisions were not using a seat belt.

Motorcycles
The 29 motorcyclist fatalities that occurred in 2006 accounted for 8 per cent of all
fatalities. An additional 505 motorcyclists were injured.
Motorcyclists were 13 times more likely than car users to be killed and 3 times
more likely than pedalcyclists to be killed per vehicle kilometres travelled.

Pedalcycles
In 2006, 9 pedalcyclists were killed and additional 211 were injured in collisions.
Pedalcyclists made up 2 per cent of all fatalities. Seven out of 9 pedalcyclists killed
and 7 out of 10 injured were male. In 2006, 40 per cent of all the pedal cycle traffic
fatalities reported involved cars.

Pedestrians
In 2006, 73 pedestrians were killed. Forty-three per cent of the pedestrians killed
were aged 65 and over. Seven out of 10 pedestrians aged 65 and over were killed
in the hours of darkness.

Star Spangler

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on February 28, 2008, 03:48:02 PM

Statistics for 2006 below. Its worrying to see the percentage of car drivers fatally injured who were male.......74%.

Cars
In 2006, 226 car occupants were killed in collisions accounting for 62 per cent of
all fatalities, and an additional 5,798 were injured. Sixty-five per cent of car
occupants killed were drivers and 20 per cent were front seat passengers. Most of

Motorcycles
The 29 motorcyclist fatalities that occurred in 2006 accounted for 8 per cent of all

Pedalcycles
In 2006, 9 pedalcyclists were killed and additional 211 were injured in collisions.
Pedalcyclists made up 2 per cent of all fatalities. Seven out of 9 pedalcyclists killed
and 7 out of 10 injured were male. In 2006, 40 per cent of all the pedal cycle traffic

Pedestrians
In 2006, 73 pedestrians were killed. Forty-three per cent of the pedestrians killed

So you're safer riding a motorbike than walking along the road?

An Gaeilgoir

I drove to Waterford from Dublin early last Wed. morning. The weather was drizzly and visibility was poor. I have never seen driving as bad in all my life. from Portlaoise to Carlow was mental, the traffic heading for Dublin was heavy. The overtaking and speeding was unreal, how more people aren't killed is beyond me. Vans loaded with men and tools were the biggest problem....how people travel this road every day i dont know, i cover the country with my job,and this was the worst ever i was glad to get to Paulstown where the traffic eased.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Star Spangler on February 28, 2008, 03:59:19 PM
Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on February 28, 2008, 03:48:02 PM

Cars

Motorcycles

Pedalcycles

Pedestrians

It seems that way. These are Road Safety Authority stats.....you can only assume they are correct.

The Real Laoislad

Im on the road a good bit everyday...These are just some of the things i see on a regular basis everyday
Drivers are too agressive..
Big powerfull cars just bully you out of the way
Younglads driving too fast with no fear or cop on what might happen..
Mothers dropping kids off at school seem to think they can pull in and out of a space whenever they feel like it with no warning or indication
Kids just running loose from their parents and running out onto the road
Cars passing cars out only to take the very next exit which was only a few hundred yards away,cue huge breaking and swerving
The amount of fools i still see using mobiles while driving is unreal,Parents with kids in the back  just driving along yapping on the phone,Going around roundabouts yapping on the phone

Im no angel on the road i would never claim to be the worlds most perfect driver but i have tried to slow down take my time and be overall more carefull..
Ever since i started driving a big van though drivers treat you in a new light,They just have to get past you,It doesn't matter if the trafic is only crawling they just can't sit behind a van even if that means breaking speed limits thru small villages etc
You'll Never Walk Alone.

deiseach

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on February 28, 2008, 08:10:20 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on February 28, 2008, 03:59:19 PM

It seems that way. These are Road Safety Authority stats.....you can only assume they are correct.

The statistics say no such thing. Motorcyclists represent a tiny fraction of road users, while millions of people are pedestrians at some point of every day of their lives. You might as well say that because sober people cause more accidents than drunks that you are safer driving while under the influence.

Cúig huaire

4 people have been killed in a car crash on the Tandragee Rd in Newry this evening.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.