Girl killed in school bus crash .....Ballygawley, Tyrone

Started by Bensars, February 27, 2008, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

QuoteGirl killed in school bus crash 

The injured children are aged between seven and 17
A teenage girl has died following a collision between a school bus and a lorry in County Tyrone.
A nine-year-old girl is critically ill. Six other pupils and their driver were injured in the crash on the Ballygawley Road, Cabragh at 0825 GMT.

The accident happened as the bus was turning into a primary school. The bus ended up in a field.

The road has been closed between the Ballygawley roundabout and Dungannon. One man has been arrested.

The bus was carrying about eight pupils from St Ciaran's High School in Ballygawley and seven from St Mary's Primary School in Cabragh.

It was turning into St Mary's when the accident happened.

It is understood five ambulances went to the scene. The injured were taken to Craigavon Area Hospital and one child has since been transferred to hospital in Belfast.

The injured children are aged between seven and 17.

Accident blackspot

It is understood the bus involved is a new vehicle, fully fitted with seatbelts and has CCTV cameras.

The schools said there was a good culture of wearing seatbelts among the pupils.

Education Minister CaitrĂ­ona Ruane said: "I have been deeply upset by news of this morning's incident and my thoughts go out to those affected by the accident.

A lorry was involved in the accident

"The Southern Education and Library Board are providing support to the schools involved through their critical incident response team at what will be a very difficult time for the families, schools and communities involved."

The chief executive of the Southern Education and Library Board, Helen McClenaghan, said it was tragic that a young life had been lost.

She is hoping to speak to some of the injured at the hospital but said relatives were "absolutely at a loss and deeply, deeply grieving and distressed".

Local SDLP councillor Anthony McGonnell said it was "an horrific scene".

He praised the emergency services who, he said, "responded magnificently and were here literally within minutes".

The councillor said it was the latest in a long line of serious accidents on the road.

Police are urging motorists to avoid the area as there have been major traffic delays.

Diversions are in place through Aughnacloy at Ballygawley roundabout and Quinn's Corner.

My she rest in Peace.

Just watched the news headlines, happened almost oppiste cabragh filling station. Another wee girl aged 9 is still in a critical condition

This has to be one of the most dangerous dangerous stretches of road in Europe.

Once again Ballygawley and surrounding area have to mourn another child death to this particular stretch of road

ziggysego

An absoluate tragedy. I hear the other child which is seriously injuried is her cousin.

This is a very dangerous stretch of road, which has claimed far too many lifes over the years. This is the 3rd in two months! The work on the duel carriage-way started earlier this month, but it is too many years too late and isn't a good enough upgrade of the road.

RIP the young school girl.
Testing Accessibility

Norf Tyrone

There was a young lad killed in or around there about 4 weeks back too if I recall.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stpauls

i will be moving to Ballygawley in a couple of years as this is where the other half is from, and if by that stage the road is not sorted out or made safer, the option of which school my (future) children are enrolled in will be limited, cause I will not want them to have to go to school via that road. it is a death trap!!

i forgot to say, may she rest in peace!!

AZOffaly

Awful sad stuff again. Please God the other little one will get better.

RIP to the poor girl that died.

SammyG

Shocking news, thoughts are with the families and hope the other kids pull through.

Puckoon

Close to 15 years ago my cousin was killed on the same road, he was 4 years old and got away from his sister at the glencull primary school at the foot of ballymcelroy hill and ran out across the road. This was BEFORE they made the road a two lane road.

I can use both hands to count the number of people I actually KNOW who have died on that road. When is it going to change. ???

May her wee soul rest in peace.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

illdecide

I worked in the finlay plant just 2 mile up the road from Cabragh filling station and that road has to be one of the worst in Ireland for fatal accidents

K hughes who plays for Tyrone has lost 2 family members on that same stretch of road within a mile of that accident
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

EC Unique

Our Area is getting a rough touch this last while. This is the last thing a parent thinks is going to happen when sending a child to school! God help them at this time.... R.I.P. :-[

red hander

Quote from: illdecide on February 27, 2008, 03:31:17 PM
I worked in the finlay plant just 2 mile up the road from Cabragh filling station and that road has to be one of the worst in Ireland for fatal accidents

K hughes who plays for Tyrone has lost 2 family members on that same stretch of road within a mile of that accident

Tragic news... terrible road, know it well and always try to be ultra careful when driving on it ... if the same stretch of road was east of the Bann it would have been sorted out years ago...

stew

Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2008, 04:15:46 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 27, 2008, 03:31:17 PM

Tragic news... terrible road, know it well and always try to be ultra careful when driving on it ... if the same stretch of road was east of the Bann it would have been sorted out years ago...

Now why would that be red hander? I hope you are not bringing politics into play her, this would not be the time nor the place.

Having almost lost my 15 year old this past weekend I have an idea what the familiy's must be going through.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

clarshack

tragic news and my thoughts are with the family. RIP. redhander does make a valid point though as this road should have been sorted out years ago.

stew

Quote from: clarshack on February 27, 2008, 04:37:45 PM
tragic news and my thoughts are with the family. RIP. redhander does make a valid point though as this road should have been sorted out years ago.

I agree that it should have been sorted out years ago, why wasnt it sorted?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ziggysego

Quote from: stew on February 27, 2008, 04:51:15 PM
I agree that it should have been sorted out years ago, why wasnt it sorted?

All comes down to money and direct rule. However if you want a political thread or roads thread, start one.

*Not directed at anyone in particular. Just want this thread to remain for what it is.
Testing Accessibility