Does Your County Prepare Club Fixture Lists?

Started by Zulu, February 26, 2008, 10:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Lads I'm currently trying to put together a training plan for my club team for the upcoming season. But the CB doesn't do any fixture lists, so I don't know when our championship games are scheduled for. I always knew our lot brought incompetence to previously unknown heights but surely this is a dereliction of their basic duties. Am I wrong? Do other counties follow a similarly relaxed attitude to club fixtures?

orangeman

In Tyrone we have a new CCC who this year have issued fixtures up until July -

Zulu

Is that across the board OM? by that I mean are there fixtures for all grades and both codes or just senior football?

orangeman

5 Sams

In fairness Sean Rooney and before him Seamus Walsh do a grand job with fixture lists. PM me if you want the Down one. It also includes the National fixtures.....good for planning the laethanta saoire ;)
The Aristocrat Years

thebandit

In Monaghan they are a closely guarded secret, and are subject to change if the wind changes direction.

Colonel Cool

How can any County function without proper fixture lists? The soccer and rugby boys put us to shame sometimes but in fairness to Down and Antrim both are well organised at the start of the year.

It's the games that are fixed and not played that concerns me.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Colonel Cool

I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

playwiththewind1st

Antrim website has all the 2008 league fixtures up on it & championship draws were made on Monday night & posted by Tuesday. So praise where it's due.

screenexile

Derry have their house in order when it comes to this we have a full programme of league and championship fixtures posted on the website for a long time... only problem is the *subject to change which to be fair is usually out of the CB's hands.

League runs from 20th April to 31st August yet I think it was something similar last year and the league didn't finish until almost December!!! A full 3 months after it was supposed to finish!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on February 27, 2008, 11:12:54 AM
How can any County function without proper fixture lists? The soccer and rugby boys put us to shame sometimes but in fairness to Down and Antrim both are well organised at the start of the year.

It's the games that are fixed and not played that concerns me.

I'd qualify that statement about Down a bit. The adult hurling leagues are reasonably well organised in terms of fixtures but the juveniles are an absolute shambles with both the hurling board and clubs needing to take a bit of the blame for that.

Rossfan

We Rossies - who  according to some are allegedly unable to function as a Co Board- have fixtures made for all adult leagues and Championships right up to the County Finals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

A more apt question is how long do the published fixtures remain good for?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

QuoteA more apt question is how long do the published fixtures remain good for?

Possibly Gnevin but it is scandalous when CB's can't even put together the bones of a fixture list for clubs so you know at least when you won't be playing. I also think it's time the GAA started getting real and faced up to certain realities. We all talk about burnout, the clubs, the dual player etc. well some tough decisions need to be made and they need to be made soon. For example, why isn't the U21 hurling championship being played now along with the football? And isn't time that U21 players picked for their senior team are no longer eligible for the U21 grade (at county level only)?