Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: ONeill on February 01, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
P McConnell, R McMenamin, C McGinley, M McGee, D Harte, D Carlin, M Penrose, M Murphy, S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh, R Mellon, C Donnelly, E McGinley.

Few surprises there and I thought we might have seen more than 2 debuts. Never been convinced about McGinley at FB and hoped a younger man would be given a run of games there in the league. Mugsy hasnt been the answer at no.11 in the past and would prefer to see him in the full forward line. Big day for the likes of Carlin and Murphy to prove they are worthy of a start.

tyroneman

Agree entirely Mugsy is def no CHF. Needs to have a big game on Sat as our "Marquee Forward" (C) Brolly

McGinley has some kind of indian sign over MH the way he keeps that FB spot and to be honest the HB line looks very worrying.

Ryan Mellon has done little since the 2005 final  to justify selection although he may be in to make up a 3rd MF if the Dubs start to take a grip there.

Still - bench does look good.

Hound

Quote from: realredhandfan on February 01, 2007, 02:31:50 PM

Q: If these teams were to meet in the league final would the same sell out status arise?
Dublin in the league final would be a guaranteed sell-out regardless of the opposition. If it was Dublin v Tyrone the demand would be such that there'd be talk of moving the Div 2 final out of Croker. But perhaps getting a bit ahead of ourselves  ;)

Over the Bar

Quote"Match To Be Delayed By 10 Minutes Or More    7/2  "

That is in my opinion very generous odds...

I tend to agree, however with the game being televised worldwide and sponsors expectations, I'd expect the officials have been told it's to start on time, whether the crowds are their seats or not.

tayto

It's up to the gardaí over the bar, if there are safety concerns the throw in will be delayed. They should take measures to thin the crowds approaching the turnstiles and therefore lessen safety concerns and then make sure throw in happens on time in order to teach latecomers to turn early next time like everyone else.

tyroneman

According to the Daily Mirror Cavo isn't even on the bench - you would have to assume some sort of injury???

Quarterback

Few suprises in mickys selection...the fact that cavo didnt make the 30 is somewat suprising.  Others who should feel unlucky are big rousy and tomy mc guigan.  Overall all, solid enough at the back, midfield fine, no-one seems to rate young murphy, and wasnt mentioned on the board for his 3 points against derry, somewhat harsh i thought, hell be fine, as hes in great shape and the start will do his confidence the world of good. As for up front colm donnelly at full forward is a suprise althought he did seemingly go very well at training tuesday night...all in all its warming up nicely, i predict a dublin win due to a lack or proven score getters in the tyrone inside lines....  

snappiered

Quote from: tyroneman on February 02, 2007, 08:52:47 AM
According to the Daily Mirror Cavo isn't even on the bench - you would have to assume some sort of injury???

Who all have made the bench? Be interesting guide to the National League panel?

realredhandfan

Mellon will need a big performance as he was one of established stars that I suspected needed to start showing it again from 05 to stay in the panel.  Mc ginley looked tubby 2 weeks ago.  I wonder is this a case of Mickey buying into the hype and the big crowd and reverting back to type and comfort zone selection , I am disappointed with the level of innovative thought put into this team.  It looks more like our championshiop teams last year than our Mc Kenna cup this year.  i know which Id prefer.  We can use this game to give lads experience that the youth couldnt buy.  This is the game for Rouse.  I dont like Murphy at midfield Hughes is a much better qulaity footballer in midfield, but hasnt an honorary all Ireland medal. Disappointed with the selection of Penrose - a hark bask to odd notions big Art used to have ie: Ciaran Loughran at no 10.    Still its only a league match and I doubt that Dublin team could expose too much.  i think Hartes fear of defeat has clouded his judgement.  Expect early changes.

Quarterback

I dont like Murphy at midfield Hughes is a much better qulaity footballer in midfield, but hasnt an honorary all Ireland medal.

realredhandfan, you talk about micky giving lads a chance, you arent exactly favouring giving a lad a chance.........

tayto

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on February 02, 2007, 08:57:26 AM
I heard that the players only managed to get 3 tickets each for the match, frigging disgrace.

how many do you think they should get?

realredhandfan

How many years is he on the panel now.  When these guys (the wider panel) were needed last year they didnt count.  That we know.  the ALL Ireland champions did not make the last 16 of the competition last year.. not good enough the Penroses etc of this world methinks.  How many games did Murphy play since he cam onto the Tyrone panel? I dont see him every week at training Mickey does...

loughshore lad

I detect some bewilderment from quite a few of my fellow Tyrone posters regarding the team selection for Saturday night. Like I stated in an earlier post there was no guarantee Rouse would start, you should never assume anything with Mickey Harte and dont be so sure about him going down the route of the big full forward - he will do his usual thing i.e. analyse the players available and come up with what he thinks is the best system to get the optimum level of performance out of them.
For all the excellent attributes Mickey Harte brings to the table as a manager one of the ones he has that opens him to criticism at times is fierce loyalty to his players. He does seem to rate certain players that the vast majority of Tyrones footballing followers are not so sure about such as Penrose, Murphy, Cormac McGinley etc.
I will be very interested to see how Penrose, Murphy, Colm Cavanagh and Mulgrew perform on saturday night. I am not sure about Penrose or Murphy I have seen both play at club and county on a number of occasions and to be honest neither strike me as being up to this level.
Mulgrew has potential and been different class at underage level but the step up is massive - I remember Mcguigan telling me it took him 2 years to adopt.
Colm Cavanagh has potential too and deserves a chance the main thing I would be worried about with him is he could go down the road of Sean and get too greedy unwilling to part with the ball.
Definitely think Tommy should have started, in my opinion he is further ahead of both Mulgew and Cavanagh in his football development and is a better option at the moment.

realredhandfan

Quarterback

murphy was injured during last years games against laois, louth etc didnt you see him against derry? was he rubbish that day? Kevin hughes is the obvious choice at midfield but give the lad a chance...as for penrose, he must be very confused at the munite...given that as soon as  jordan returns hell be back at 7.